My 36 gallon bow front (all in one) thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jmpgop said:
Okay - this is a huge thread so I haven't read it all! But I have a 36 gallon bow front - it is LOVELY - there is a pic on my profile of it (I have rearranged since - of course)... Anywho - this was my upgrade from a 10 gallon tank that I am fostering from my sister in law! Uh - I WISH I WOULD HAVE GONE UP BIGGER! LOL! So - if you can go bigger - GO BIG :)

I am going to be getting another tank 72-150 gallons this winter. I am loving the hobby that much. I want so many more and different fish it is nice to have more tanks so that you can have more variety of fish. So, that is an option too. Do a 36 (as I do LOVE mine) and then down the road add another.

I was looking at those German Blue Rams the other day actually - lovely fish - but I will not put them in a tank with my Angel and my Pearl Gourami. My 36 gallon seems to be in harmony not. Certainly NOT full, but in harmony. I took the 6 cherry barbs I had in there, OUT and put them with the Molly fish in the smaller tank for the time-being... The Pleco from my 36 gallon and the school of cherry barbs will be the base of my stocking for my big tank. It'll be interesting!

I personally would add your least territorial fish first so they can get established. And another thing I wish I had to do all over again - starting the tank properly with a fishless cycle. It was soooooo stressful starting a tank with even just 2 fish in there. I just didn't know before it was too late and it was a lot of work. Start it right. Be patient. No fish :)

So - my 2 cents: go bigger :) And choose rams OR angels not both. And no neons with either of those or their name will be LUNCH.

Happy *Fishing*

Actually I was planning on getting a pair of rams and one angel, or two angels and one ram. I was going to add danios and cardinal tetras, not neon tetras. My mom will not let me get a bigger tank. I will have to wait until after college I guess...
I was planning on doing an "instant" fishless cycle by putting established biomedia in the filter directly, then making sure it converts enough, then adding part of my first school (probably danios)... then slowly stocking. I was planning on adding the german blue ram(s) second to last, and the angel(s) last. If I did have a pair of angels I would try to have two of some same species (so not a breeding pair), so there's less aggression. I will make sure I post on here a lot, to keep getting advice and other reasons.

Yeah - if you have dirty (but good) established filters from another tank, that would help the tank cycle quickly. I would get an API test kit from Amazon.com. SO helpful... Your tank is going to be the same as mine... Post pictures when you get it all set up. Mine is quite lovely. (IMHO) If I were a fish I would want to live in it! ;)

jmpgop said:
Yeah - if you have dirty (but good) established filters from another tank, that would help the tank cycle quickly. I would get an API test kit from Amazon.com. SO helpful... Your tank is going to be the same as mine... Post pictures when you get it all set up. Mine is quite lovely. (IMHO) If I were a fish I would want to live in it! ;)

I already have that test kit... I use it for my ten gallon. Ill use it for both. My mom is actually considering letting me get a 55 gallon... I did a lot of lecturing. Lol

I use the test kit for both aquariums too. (my 10 and my 36 bow)...

So you did the *a 55 gallon is actually easier to take care of* BECAUSE.... And all the reasons - AND it isn't that much bigger but I can put in this many more fish AND... LOL.

jmpgop said:
I use the test kit for both aquariums too. (my 10 and my 36 bow)...

So you did the *a 55 gallon is actually easier to take care of* BECAUSE.... And all the reasons - AND it isn't that much bigger but I can put in this many more fish AND... LOL.

Yes, that's exactly what I said! Lol

I think she is sold on the idea of me getting a bigger tank. She says she doesn't really care how big it is, as long as it fits in our house and I have a stand for it. She also wants me to pay for all of it, so I will use my birthday and holiday money.
When I showed her the 60 gallon tank and hood and light combo she said "that is a good deal."

bruinsbro1997 said:
60 gallon! Holy cow I am jealous of all of you! I am only stuck with one tank, and that's it!!! :D

Haha well my mom is only worried about the price and the mess that comes with it

I just got back from my LFS. I am happy to learn that they have BABY angels and blue rams.... that's even better!

After setting up my 20 gallon long, I have decided that I no longer want GBRs in the 36 gallon. Could I get 2 pairs of angels?

Two pairs of angels would be really pushing it in a 36 Gallon, even by themselves. You could get a pair, but that would limit your stock. I would just recommend one. It won't be very lonely.

Two pairs of angels would be really pushing it in a 36 Gallon, even by themselves. You could get a pair, but that would limit your stock. I would just recommend one. It won't be very lonely.

I was actually planning on getting two of the same gender... so no pair

Even if all four angel were the same gender, 4 angels in a 36g is still too much IMO. They do really get HUGE and typically get bossy, especially with each other. I do not remember your stock in the 36 off the top of my head, but I agree that 2 would probably be ok in there. Its pretty impossible to know their gender though unless you actually see them spawn.

absolutangel04 said:
Even if all four angel were the same gender, 4 angels in a 36g is still too much IMO. They do really get HUGE and typically get bossy, especially with each other. I do not remember your stock in the 36 off the top of my head, but I agree that 2 would probably be ok in there. Its pretty impossible to know their gender though unless you actually see them spawn.

I was planning on getting just two, regardless.

Are there any other cichlids I could put in the tank? Not including angels, of course

Keyholes, possibly golden dwarf cichlid. I have heard about AFrican butterfly cichlids (Anomalochromis thomasi) being in ok in communities, but I asked on here awhile ago if anybody had ACTUALLY done this and got no responses. Those are really the only ones I can think of at the moment.

I might stick with angels. I like them over all. What would you recommend as tankmates for them?

I stick with schoolers that are either spade shaped or else over 2 inches, but thats just me, its not an exact science. I keep rummies/platies/mollies/corys/rams/keyhole/kuhlis wiht my angels. But there are seriously tons of options. I just simply suggest avoiding known fin nippers. Sometimes "nippy" fish actuially do fine with angels if you have a large enough group of them, but IMO it canm be better safe than soprry when dealing with those long, flowing angel fins. Also, angels sometimes lash out at other fish that annoy them.
I really like cardinals, black neons, rummies, and kerri blue tetras with angels because they are so peaceful and too big to be eaten. JMO. I also LOVE bottom feeders, so I tend to have them in all my tanks. :)

Apistos, golden dwarf acaras, keyholes, rams, kribs, angels, and African Butterfly cichlids. If you were wondering about the African butterflies, I remember Alisha (Coleallensmom) having one in her twenty gallon planted in a community setting.

Back
Top Bottom