My New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yup, a few hours ago. So they're probably freaking out about the sudden darkness and a new place.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

Yeah, there was one that was swimming normally, and he/she, didn't look to see if it was a boy or a girl, was staring at them like they were crazy. Now they've calmed though and are acting normal instead of insane. Or as normal as a crazy danio can act!

Why no females? You don't want the babies? Or are the males just more colorful?

-Dylan

I don't know what was wrong with it but one is basically as good as dead. It's stuck to the filter. It was fine one second, then it got stuck behind a rock, and I freed it. It started floating, swimming upside down, and generally looked bad. Now it's stuck to the filter, and I can't take it out because it's still dying. This sucks. I hope the others are okay. This one I remember did stay around the bottom away from the others, which is strange for the schooling fish.

I would euthanize it instead of letting it slowly keel off. More humane, and you don't have to worry about an ammonia spike.

I think your egg business is really cool! Probably looks good on a high school/college app too.

-Dylan

jespenguin said:
I would euthanize it instead of letting it slowly keel off. More humane, and you don't have to worry about an ammonia spike.

How do I euthanize it? Do you put the bag in the freezer with water like I've heard, or is there a different method to use?

Dylan5359 said:
I think your egg business is really cool! Probably looks good on a high school/college app too.

-Dylan

Thanks! It probably will, I'm not sure.

Okay, another thing. I need to know how to treat Ich. I saw on two fish a little tiny white spot, but I'm nit sure if it's Ich. How do I tell for sure, and how do I treat it? Thanks, and pray that it's not actually Ich, and just something clinging to the skin that will come off!

I use rubbing alcohol. Just put some in a cup and add the fish, try not to add water so it doesn't dilute it. It takes maximum 5 seconds and I've been told it's the most humane. Ive heard horror stories where some really resistant fish can survive the freezer method:/ Awful thing to have to do, but I know I'd take quick over drawn out.

jespenguin said:
I use rubbing alcohol. Just put some in a cup and add the fish, try not to add water so it doesn't dilute it. It takes maximum 5 seconds and I've been told it's the most humane. Ive heard horror stories where some really resistant fish can survive the freezer method:/ Awful thing to have to do, but I know I'd take quick over drawn out.

Now my mom is telling me to just let nature take it's course. I'm not sure what I could do other than the freezer, I don't know if we have rubbing alcohol even. How about the Ich problem?

As for ich, they have medications for it at most pet stores, or you could go for a salt treatment. I would go for a high dose treatment to be effective, 3 teaspoons of aquarium salt (you can also use UNiodized salt if you have that around) per gallon. Make sure to mix it before you add it, adding salt straight to the tank is bad for the fish.

Thank you. I'm not sure if it's Ich, will the salt hurt the fish if it isn't Ich? I've also read that the meds aren't very affective. Any truth to that? The other danios are doing great, and seem perfectly healthy apart from the two with the tiny spots. Even they are acting normal.

No it won't harm them, you can always err on the side of caution. But I don't know about the meds, I try to keep it natural. Plus a big thing of salt is 4$ so its not like your out too much. I'd keep an eye on your ammonia and take out the dying fish immediately so there isn't any additional stress.

Ich attack works great for me! And it's natural! It clears mine up in like two days! And sorry about my word usage, I wasn't quite sure how to word it, and I apologize. I would've apologized sooner, but my dad busted our cable, so we don't have tv or Internet for a while!

I woke up this morning and took the fish out. The only visible marks were from being sucked to the filter. I think this one died from stress. Normally I wouldn't expect a Danio to die like that, but I guess it happens. I fed the others this morning. It's fun to watch them eat.

Back
Top Bottom