Need suggestions for "hardware" for 120 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ya that would be a 120g tall. If I found a 120g for $300 I'd be stoked let alone with equipment. Prices up here in Alberta Canada aren't that low, likely at least $600 for that setup here and even that is a steal. Congrats on he purchase and good luck on the build, any ideas on stock yet? A 120 would be nice for some adult frontosas.

Thanks so much dude. Makes me feel better about my purchase. Im a total newb but have read a boatload of great info to get me started.

My stock is still up in the air. I know Im going lots and lots of color. Id also like to utilize the entire tank wish fish that hang at the bottom, fish that hang in the middle and fish that hang up top. There are alot of fish Im researching at the moment. Im staying away from any aggressive fish. I dont want my 7 yr old daughter crying cause her favorite fishy got eaten for dinner.

I have time still for deciding stock. Im trying to figure out filters and heaters and appropriate lighting for live plants. I have no idea about plants. Frankly, researching plants bores the heck outta me. I have to do it though if I wanna do this thing the right way.

gregcuoz said:
I just got scared when Heather aked me if 48" was long enough light. Im a newb and worried I might not be getting what I thought.

Hey sorry about that! I am new too and didn't know the dimensions for 120. Thought it was longer like the 125. Yours is the same as my 90 except it is deeper (same height and length) I really like my light but not sure if it would be enough for plants
I will show you a couple pics - day light and the night light version and then the top of the tank with the light bar

I love the moonlight!! great looking tank! ea I really gotta study plants to know what type of lighting I need.

I am such a dummy. This whole time I'm thinking I have time to figure out stock. I just realised, the stock is probably the first thing I should choose. That way I know exactly what type heater, substrate, filter and lighting I need. I was doing this backwards. Luckily, Ive been doing alot of research on fish and have some ones that I really like. Okay, off to plan my stock. Stupid me!

This sounds like what I may be looking for. Any thoughts or suggestions? Itd be an expensive mistake if Im wrong

Aquatic Life 2x54W T5 HO Linkable Light Fixture FW - 48" : T5 & HO-T5

You need at least 2 of those for a planted tank. A single one of those will put you in the low light category (~0.9 wpg, T5HO is more efficient, so you get more light, but that is cancelled by your extra deep tank), which really limit your plant choices. <Plus plants do better with more light than just low, and it is easier to keep plants with a bit more light than the bare minimum.>

The one listed on the seller's tank is a basic 40W fixture, totally inadaquate for real plants.

Back
Top Bottom