New Platy, and Possibly Pregnant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hrm Does have a little bit of the sword tails body shape, (longer and thinner than platy) topsail/swordtail hybrid is a good good possibility

Actually, now that you mention body shape, she does look a bit similar to a swordtail. Before, I was only considering the fact that she didn't have a "swordtail" lol

These are the best I can get she is stuborn!!!! I am also adding a pic of the male. All 3 of my swords are diving up and down at like record speed tonight! but in they have strips across their sides that in the right light looks blue along with the black and gold strips. She looks like an orange blob in most of the pictures.
http://s699.photobucket.com/user/flitabout/media/20130823_222042_zpsd2a165cf.jpg.html
http://s699.photobucket.com/user/flitabout/media/20130823_221949_zpsc1e7f168.jpg.html
http://s699.photobucket.com/user/flitabout/media/20130823_221940_zps6b319273.jpg.html
http://s699.photobucket.com/user/flitabout/media/20130823_221921_zps4b018699.jpg.html

The one in this pic with the long tail Is a male swordtail/platy and the other one also looks to be a swordtail I have both and when u have both in one tank u can rlly tell a diff also swords and platys can breed an is highly likely they will

Should be seeing fry any day now. Looks like she's squared off and I'm seeing a white tube/spot by her anal fin, which I was told is something to look out for. Her gravid spot has grown and is getting really dark, but it doesnt look like she'll be having a lot of fry. She isn't as plump as some of the other pregnant platies I've seen.. Maybe its her first batch? I read somewhere the first was the smallest. Anyway, I attached a few pics, so let me know what you think. Sorry for the bad quality..

View attachment 194678

View attachment 194682

Should be seeing fry any day now. Looks like she's squared off and I'm seeing a white tube/spot by her anal fin, which I was told is something to look out for. Her gravid spot has grown and is getting really dark, but it doesnt look like she'll be having a lot of fry. She isn't as plump as some of the other pregnant platies I've seen.. Maybe its her first batch? I read somewhere the first was the smallest. Anyway, I attached a few pics, so let me know what you think. Sorry for the bad quality..

Any fry yet

1 platy gave birth, but no survivers : ( i have to find a way to reduce suction in my filter before the next platy gives birth cause i had a carbon filter full of little orange fry this morning, thinking of putting like tea cloth over the vents, anyone have any other suggestions, based off the platy that gave birth, i have about a week before this platy produces her fry

1 platy gave birth, but no survivers : ( i have to find a way to reduce suction in my filter before the next platy gives birth cause i had a carbon filter full of little orange fry this morning, thinking of putting like tea cloth over the vents, anyone have any other suggestions, based off the platy that gave birth, i have about a week before this platy produces her fry

U can get a sponge for it or you can also get a pantie hose and put it on

good call on pantie hose, way cheaper way easier to find, ill pick some up after work, wonder how many people will look at me funny while i walk through walmart carrying pantie hose lol

good call on pantie hose, way cheaper way easier to find, ill pick some up after work, wonder how many people will look at me funny while i walk through walmart carrying pantie hose lol

Lol I get mine at dollor stores here much cheaper lol

Panty hose! Genius. I've been trying to figure out what to put over mine for my ghost shrimp fry, which I hope make it. Thanks so much!:dance:

U can get a sponge for it or you can also get a pantie hose and put it on

I picked up a small Fluval filter sponge for less than $2 and shoved it down the intake tube of my filter. The only thing I noticed is that it lessened the output flow a bit, but that shouldn't be a problem.. Sorry your guys' fry didn't make it. That's kinda disappointing.. I'm still waiting for mine to drop haha I think I may have spoken a little too soon about when she will, but we'll see.

Alright, it definitely looks like she's starting to square off now. What do you guys think?

ForumRunner_20130830_133345.jpg

More pics

ForumRunner_20130831_133036.jpg

ForumRunner_20130831_132846.jpg

ForumRunner_20130831_132917.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130831_132945.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130831_132945.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 50
Haha no problem, thanks for the reply. Good to know I'm not just seeing things lol. So about how many fry can platies produce? I remember you saying about 20 or something but I keep seeing online that they can have up to 50!

Haha no problem, thanks for the reply. Good to know I'm not just seeing things lol. So about how many fry can platies produce? I remember you saying about 20 or something but I keep seeing online that they can have up to 50!

Lol up to 50 is nothing, everything i've ever read says they can have from 20-100 but generally less in captivity, so 20-50 is a reasonable expectation since they are captive, also ive read in a few places if its her first batch she can have as few as 12

Back
Top Bottom