NitrAte spike, what causes it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Malawi Freak said:
I agree.

I don't think the AC 110 would be beneficial enough to try it. I don't think it has enough of space to have the amount of plants that would make any noticeable changes.

Just stick with my wc and don't slack. I should be fine.

Thanks everyone.

I have a 55g with just 8 Mbipia cf Lutea spotbar, 4 full grown, 4 1+ inch juveniles and I feel cichlids produce lots of waste. I do two 50% water changes per week and clean out my Rena XP3 every week, really need it, and still have NitrAtes around the .25 mark every change. I do have plants too.
img_1870568_0_955aba9a652f80e3a0660acafb51db66.jpg

Last edited:
NitrAtes are way up AGAIN! 160+ppm can't be for real. Doing a wc right now.

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

pH 8.2

NitrAtes 160+ color is off the chart red!!

WHAT THE...... ????????

Here's a little thought. What are you doing while you shake the nitrates tube. Do you shake it bare handed, wrapped in a napkin/paper towel? I notice a good amount of difference between the levels of the ammonia and trates when it has 4 more drops total than ammonia. The API test tubes are another reason I stopped using them and switched to sera. They use plastic tubes that are much larger and don't leak all over the place.

Malawi Freak said:
Here's a little thought. What are you doing while you shake the nitrates tube. Do you shake it bare handed, wrapped in a napkin/paper towel? I notice a good amount of difference between the levels of the ammonia and trates when it has 4 more drops total than ammonia. The API test tubes are another reason I stopped using them and switched to sera. They use plastic tubes that are much larger and don't leak all over the place.

I just shake it... No towel or anything and yes it leaks all over and I hate it. Gets all over my hands. What this other test kit? I'm buying it online tonight!! There's no way it can be 160+ppm every time I test it. Something is off with the kit.

Jmedic25 said:
Did you really vac that gravel?

The last time yes, less then half. Was gonna do another portion on the next wc. So much scape it's sooo hard. But yes I did a little. Maybe I stirred something up?

I'm still thinking there is something wrong with the NitrAte test. Sorry didn't get back to you. I'll hit you up tomorrow if that's cool?

You need to take out more fish. There really is no amount of water change that will help your overstocked tank. Its good to buy a spare test tubes..

Trace leaking with API test tubes if you hold it properly. One end against your thumb and the other pressed against the index or middle finger. Easy shake with this method as well.

Terrance said:
You need to take out more fish. There really is no amount of water change that will help your overstocked tank.

Terrance something I've been thinking about for a long while now... I may just get me another tank. A 55 gallon this way I still have my fish. Or maybe if I can get another tank the fire headquarters I can move them there. I DON'T wanna just re home them back to a LFS. I want my guys. I'll find a way....

Use a seperate tank or build a sump out of the 55g for more water volume. If you are able to slow down and manage the rate of nitrAte production with a sump, then you can look into algae turf scrubber.

Terrance said:
Use a seperate tank or build a sump out of the 55g for more water volume. If you are able to slow down and manage the rate of nitrAte production with a sump, then you can look into algae turf scrubber.

So a sump would help? That I can def do!! I'm pretty handy DIY guy. Algae turf scrubber? I'm unaware.

Isn't that contradicting what you have been saying? I mean if I understand you correctly you're saying plants would eat the nitrates and he wouldn't get a total pollution reading, wouldn't an algae scrubber do the same thing as plants? I'm probably misunderstanding ya but i'm confused.

The extra water volume helps dilute the pollution. It might be the solution to keeping better water quality and manage the nitrAtes to safe levels every week. If nitrates are consistently managed to safe levels on a weekly basis, then look into the ATS as an option. Its more effective than keeping submerged plants because of the rich amount of air (co2) available to the algae, except for natural floating plants like water lettuce and hyacinth (spelling?). IMO There is not enough space for floating plants in a sump. There is still space in the display, but it might get sucked into the overflow. The ATS is less messy and easier to maintain.

Back
Top Bottom