Noob with a 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beemud

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello

I am got an aquarium from my birthday a few years ago... I wanted to get a lizard but things didn't work out but I kept the tank. Its a 20 gallon and I decided I could use a hobby and a pet. As I am brand new to fish, in general, I was wondering if anyone could lend me a few ideas for freshwater fish that are easy to take care of or good to start out with. I would like something active and preferably have a school of them but I am very flexible.

I forgot to add I live in central Wisconsin... so it can get very cold in the winter

Thank you for any and all help

Last edited:
Hi Beemud

As a newcomer i cant stress enough that you know about tank cycling. It will reduce so much stress and heartache if you know the basics of that up front.

Cycling is basically the method of growing beneficial bacteria in the tank, particularly the filter, to process the fish waste (ammonia) into less harmful products (nitrates).

In general there are 2 methods.

A fish in cycle starts with a few, hardy fish and lots of water changes, until the tank has enough beneficial bacteria to support them. Then a few more fish etc etc.

A fishless cycle, you add ammonia to the tank without fish to artificially replicate the conditions of fish waste to grow the beneficial bacteria before you add fish.

I never knew I had to do any of this so its good to learn before I put some poor fishies to their graves by mistake... thank you all I'll get started on this right away

Before anything, the question that needs to be answered, are you willing to do the work to maintain the tank? Setting up and stocking a fish tank is only part of the process, maintaining it is the other half! Weekly to by weekly water changes, vacuuming the substrate, cleaning the glass, monthly filter cleaning, etc.. keeping a happy, and healthy fish tank is a constant work in progress. I personally have three well established and stable tanks up and running, two medium sized tanks (56 gallon corner planted, 60 gallon) and smaller 20 gallon, I have my maintenance routine setup to where I only get roughly 1 week a month where I'm not touching a tank. Some will probably wonder how I get by not doing weekly water changes, to which I reply its all in how you set your filtration setup :wink: .

To follow up on what has already been stated, long before we start looking for what fish we'll stock, its best to make sure we have all the proper equipment needed to maintain a happy and healthy tank. Do you have filtration, a heater, some form of lighting? once we have those boxes checked, I'd look at outfitting the filter with good filter media, this will be what keeps your water in check, and good filter media is also crucial in keeping the water clean and clear. I'd recommend Seachem matrix. Once we have all the required equipment for setting up a tank, then we can focus on putting some decor and substrate in the tank, so this is something you also need to think about, whether you'll use sand, gravel, fake plants, real plants, other decor, etc..

The best thing you can do at this moment, is research! You in the right area asking questions on here, but I urge you to head over to youtube and and spend sometime watching videos on setting up a new tank, tank maintenance, stocking ideas for a 20 gallon. The best way to approach this hobby is to learn as much as you can!

Back
Top Bottom