Not sure where to really post this.(betta housing)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khalix

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, I work in a chain pet store and have long disliked the use of the betta "cup". I get WHY it's more "cost effective" but I know for a fact that before I was in the department.. only one person really maintained the cups on a regular basis and she is also the only person who does really anything over there when it comes to properly caring for the fish. So a LOT of times they got neglected.

Was kind of tossing the idea around to my corporate management when he visited about how there really has to be some kind of better alternative that is more time efficient(which is all they really care about and I had to pitch it to him that way).. that better houses the betta. Heater, filtration, at LEAST 2 gallons of water that is easily accessible for feeding and general care. He agreed and maybe I am just a bit of an idealist but I really want this to happen!

To the actual question of it if you've managed to read this far(sorry, I'm long winded!):

Is there some kind of "block" system similar to the way most larger tanks are set up in a corporate run fish store anywhere on the market? I know I've seen a few members here with small fish stores in various parts of their houses, etc.. is there a resource out there that sells huge systems like this to companies?

Googling hasn't turned up with anything really, though I'm going to try to reword it. Even if there isn't I really plan to pursue it and think I'll get one of my more mechanically inclined crafty friends to fiddle with this idea. I have an image in my head but am worried I am really too much of a dreamer.

I don't have any ideas for you, but an A+ for standing up for the bettas. They are such a wonderful fish tha get so abused in retail situations, it drives me crazy.

Good luck in your quest and never stop dreaming!

You could try sending a private message to SeverumMama or HN1, since they have a fish selling business in their house.

One of my LFSs has a display that consists of a wall and acrylic channels that are split up into little boxes. IIRC, the water is pumped up one side, flows across the channels, and down a drain on the other side. The LFS uses it to house some cranky cichlids, but it would work well for bettas. It looks commercially made, but I don't know the brand.

You could always try the system walmart used to use where they hung the fry baskets inside the main tanks and kept the bettas seperate. At least that way they're getting filtered and heated water and when you clean the main tanks you'll knock out two birds with one stone. Just a thought..probably cheaper

That sounds really neat! I need to find the brand of something like that. Thanks for the response. :)

One of my LFSs has a display that consists of a wall and acrylic channels that are split up into little boxes. IIRC, the water is pumped up one side, flows across the channels, and down a drain on the other side. The LFS uses it to house some cranky cichlids, but it would work well for bettas. It looks commercially made, but I don't know the brand.

We use those to quarantine fish but the ones we have don't have tops to them. I have a feeling some of them would flop into their neighbors net. it''s a good idea, though, and something worth looking into. Maybe if I can find some that are fully mesh that are completely squared off.

You could always try the system walmart used to use where they hung the fry baskets inside the main tanks and kept the bettas seperate. At least that way they're getting filtered and heated water and when you clean the main tanks you'll knock out two birds with one stone. Just a thought..probably cheaper

I have a plastic one inside my stand that the top sticks out of the water and has holes in the bottom so the water can come in and out so it won't stale an run up the levels like a bowl. I think I paid like $4-$5 for it.

That barracks system looks pretty neat, though there seemed to be some flaws with it, too, according to the author. Definitely closer to what's in my head, but as Sev pointed out unfortunately most businesses don't want to sink the money into it. It's something I think I'm going to try to build myself in my house and see where it goes with a lot of trial and error over an extended period of time. Though I think I am going to try for 3 gallon holding tanks since I will likely use my own betta's to experiment with it. It just seems like it'll be an interesting hobby to keep me occupied for a while. Plus I've always wanted to learn to set up a sump and all that jazz!

I really wish we either wouldn't sell them at all or got less of them. If we got maybe 5 a week instead of occasionally 20+ at a time I think we'd be okay housing them. I'd just set up dividers and go from there. However they know they'll make money this way even though in reality they aren't, because most weeks we don't even sell half of the ones we get in and there are occasional exchanges because their systems are compromised considering their stressful situations. I don't know who I need to tongue thrash at our headquarters but I'm going to have to start writing lengthy letters there instead of bugging people here all the time! :p

I'll just do my best to make sure they are as well cared for as possible considering their circumstances. :(

I went to a fish store in Spokane once, and she had her bettas in those plastic rodent carrier/cages. You know the ones I am talking about? With the vented plastic lid and the little clear plastic door on top? They usually have a pink, red, or blue lid.

My barracks cost me about $50 each and some time. They are easy to make and do not have to be as large as the ones I made. It would be very easy to adapt the idea to something that is smaller. I am growing out fish to show and so need the larger area for them to swim in for proper development of their fins. I have smaller barracks that hold 22 fish in 4" x 6" cells with a 10 gallon tank used as a sump. Water is filtered and heated and circulated through all the cells. I still have to siphon feces out every 3 days.

One caution.. many of the bettas the pet shops get are not real healthy. I import from Thailand and all fish go through a med program to rid internal parasites. Even then they are kept in containers for a month before being added to my closed system. Velvet is another nasty thing bettas can get. So, one would need to keep something like copper in the water to ward off velvet and periodically feed meds to keep internals in check.. otherwise you will have a mess with a circulating system like this. But.. bettas show much better in a system like this and would sell much better as well.

There are plenty of ideas out there to display bettas for resale. The trick is convincing a store it is worth their time and effort. Feel free to pass my blog along to a shop owner to check out. I will also answer any questions they may have if they want to build their own system.Good luck!

If they let me do that I'd be pretty happy! Even without filtration it would at least be an improvement. Basically I just hate big corporations like the one I work for because they have a very streamlined plan and don't like for us to deviate outside of it. I'm honestly not sure I'd ever be able to get them totally convinced. Thanks dkpate. :)

These things:

PETCO Pet Keeper for Small Animals at PETCO

And if you could set up some sort of filtration, that might be the cheapest way to go. :)

You have to look at the economics. They pay maybe $1/fish. Then they have to pay some one $7/hour to clean the things every day. Plus a lot of the die.. so.. if they have to have too much care.. they are not worth it bacuse the shop will lose money on them. I know.. bettas are sick and dying. But, in the grand scheme of things.. they are no different than feeder fish. A system that can be set up and maintained easily is what you need to show a shop.

$50 isn't bad at all. I'd actually like something like what you have set up in my house for pet bettas(which probably sounds insane!). Over the years people have given me various bettas because apparently changing the water once a week got to be far too difficult for them and everyone knows I'm a sucker for fish no one else will take. Having one system to house them in would be pretty awesome.

By the way, thanks for posting! Kind of neat since your stuff was mainly what I'd been looking at as a reference point.

I typically feed our bettas anti parasitic pellet food for 5 days when we get them. I've purchased several of ours and my oldest is about 4 years old right now. I always expect the worst and hope for the best when it comes to their condition since I just have no idea the situation they arrive from. So I definitely agree with that.

it is a large corporation so for the most part my musings are mostly wishful thinking. I do think as soon as space limitations allow it(when I move next year) that I'm going to try something similar to your set up, so I may be in touch myself.

Thanks again. :D

My barracks cost me about $50 each and some time. They are easy to make and do not have to be as large as the ones I made. It would be very easy to adapt the idea to something that is smaller. I am growing out fish to show and so need the larger area for them to swim in for proper development of their fins. I have smaller barracks that hold 22 fish in 4" x 6" cells with a 10 gallon tank used as a sump. Water is filtered and heated and circulated through all the cells. I still have to siphon feces out every 3 days.

One caution.. many of the bettas the pet shops get are not real healthy. I import from Thailand and all fish go through a med program to rid internal parasites. Even then they are kept in containers for a month before being added to my closed system. Velvet is another nasty thing bettas can get. So, one would need to keep something like copper in the water to ward off velvet and periodically feed meds to keep internals in check.. otherwise you will have a mess with a circulating system like this. But.. bettas show much better in a system like this and would sell much better as well.

There are plenty of ideas out there to display bettas for resale. The trick is convincing a store it is worth their time and effort. Feel free to pass my blog along to a shop owner to check out. I will also answer any questions they may have if they want to build their own system.Good luck!

As it stands right now someone is basically getting paid 7+ an hour to change every single cups water + feed. This is actually very time consuming considering the amount we have shelved. Between customers and other assorted happenings it can take around 4 hours each time. If they are changed as often as they should be considering the amount of water and waste this would happen every other day. Now that seems pretty silly to me.

The method is generally a two bucket process. One with clean water, one empty. Dump into net over empty, scoop water, add fish, feed. That is essentially all there is to it. Except the bucket holds maybe 5 gallons and when you have 50 fish or so you have to make a lot of trips back and forth emptying the old water out and redoing the water for the next bunch. It's not very time efficient at all.

You have to look at the economics. They pay maybe $1/fish. Then they have to pay some one $7/hour to clean the things every day. Plus a lot of the die.. so.. if they have to have too much care.. they are not worth it bacuse the shop will lose money on them. I know.. bettas are sick and dying. But, in the grand scheme of things.. they are no different than feeder fish. A system that can be set up and maintained easily is what you need to show a shop.

Back
Top Bottom