*OFFICIAL* 16G Bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do u think id still be able to do most corals with the other light? Its a 4 bulb T5 72 total Watts

DanS180 said:
Do u think id still be able to do most corals with the other light? Its a 4 bulb T5 72 total Watts

Definitely, as long as the other parameters are fine for the coral. I find that some mini-reefs do a bit better with small LPS and soft corals than SPS corals only because they tend to fluctuate more than large tanks. That doesn't mean you couldn't have them in your tank under that light. Just keep in mind that LPS corals have sweeper tentacles and need space.

Some mini-reefers go almost all SPS and zoas just to escape that issue. Gotta have good filtration for that, but you could certainly do it.

CorallineAlgae said:
Definitely, as long as the other parameters are fine for the coral. I find that some mini-reefs do a bit better with small LPS and soft corals than SPS corals only because they tend to fluctuate more than large tanks. That doesn't mean you couldn't have them in your tank under that light. Just keep in mind that LPS corals have sweeper tentacles and need space.

Some mini-reefers go almost all SPS and zoas just to escape that issue. Gotta have good filtration for that, but you could certainly do it.

Okay awesome! :) yeah ive been reading up on LPS corals and there sweepers... kind of stinks bc I really wanted to get a hammer, I love how they look but that would probably take up too much space :/

Anemones dont have anything like that right??

Anemones are way worse than LPS coral's sweeper tentacles lol. All of their tentacles can sting AND they can move around. It's been a nightmare for me in the past!

Haha if you think lps corals are bad then you shouldnt even consider an anemone. My lps never sting my other corals and i have a pretty good amount of lps..

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Haha if you think lps corals are bad then you shouldnt even consider an anemone. My lps never sting my other corals and i have a pretty good amount of lps..

Nu-Nu!! Glad you rejoined the convo haha but really?? Well considering the size of my tank, I don't have much room for corals anyhow. Maybe if I did a hammer in one corner of the tank and then kinda worked on the other side for other corals that could work.

Is it really noticeable when a coral stings another??

scottayy said:
Anemones are way worse than LPS coral's sweeper tentacles lol. All of their tentacles can sting AND they can move around. It's been a nightmare for me in the past!

Oh wow lol see I'm glad I have this app.. I would have never known that lol well I'm gonna try n see if one of my clowns will host a hammer :) I think thatd be pretty cool

I have a carpet nem and a sebae nem in a 75 gallon and they are constantly on the move! I wouldnt even attempt one in a small tank.

You really don't have to worry about sweeper tentacles. Just don't smoosh your corals together and you'll be fine lol. I've never even seen the sweepers on my hammer corals to be honest but I haven't looked really hard either.

Oh, and yes it's noticeable when they sting. The affected coral will close up for a long time and/or die.

Well after you have your first fish make sure your levels are fine then you can add corals! And i agree with scotty, my hammer neer has sweepers out. If you want, you could get forgspawn/torch/hammer corals and put them close together on one side. They are part of the same family, so they dont usually sting eachother. My frogspawn and torch have touched before with no issues, maybe im just lucky... I have my lps side of the tank and they are all on the same rock.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Well after you have your first fish make sure your levels are fine then you can add corals! And i agree with scotty, my hammer neer has sweepers out. If you want, you could get forgspawn/torch/hammer corals and put them close together on one side. They are part of the same family, so they dont usually sting eachother. My frogspawn and torch have touched before with no issues, maybe im just lucky... I have my lps side of the tank and they are all on the same rock.

Very interesting.. well I bought 2 clowns yesterday and I did a water change before I added them. Tested today and my numbers are good so far.. guess I'll wait a few days and just see how it goes :)

And good idea on keeping them all on one side, guess I'll have to do that

My big turbo knocked off my new Kenya tree in my nem and it must have stung the crap out of it. It hasnt open in a couple days. I didn't want to put putty on the rock the Kenya was in until I knew it wasn't to much light. My clown made a big burrow for him and his nem and they don't like to be bothered

22engine said:
My big turbo knocked off my new Kenya tree in my nem and it must have stung the crap out of it. It hasnt open in a couple days. I didn't want to put putty on the rock the Kenya was in until I knew it wasn't to much light. My clown made a big burrow for him and his nem and they don't like to be bothered

That was a little confusing but I think I understood it all haha sorry

Ya sorry **** iPhone. My Kenya tree coral fell onto my nem and got the crap stung out of it

22engine said:
Ya sorry **** iPhone. My Kenya tree coral fell onto my nem and got the crap stung out of it

Lol its okay, but aww that stinks :/ I'm gonna stay clear of the anemones for the time being.. at least until I get a bigger tank down the road.. I'll stick with LPS on one side of the tank :)

DanS180 said:
Lol its okay, but aww that stinks :/ I'm gonna stay clear of the anemones for the time being.. at least until I get a bigger tank down the road.. I'll stick with LPS on one side of the tank :)

That's a good plan. I didn't mean that LPS corals shouldn't be in your tank. They're great to have. I only wanted to give a little heads up about the sweepers because I had a stinging incident. It was easily solved by giving my open brain and trumpet corals a little more space and dividing the trumpet corals to sell when the colony got crazy large.

My clowns hosted in my toadstool leathers. The ones with really long polyps.

CorallineAlgae said:
That's a good plan. I didn't mean that LPS corals shouldn't be in your tank. They're great to have. I only wanted to give a little heads up about the sweepers because I had a stinging incident. It was easily solved by giving my open brain and trumpet corals a little more space and dividing the trumpet corals to sell when the colony got crazy large.

My clowns hosted in my toadstool leathers. The ones with really long polyps.

Understood :) thanks for your advice tho, I take everything in no matter what.. yeah I'm gonna start out with just one coral and see how I do with it since I've never done them before but I have to get my new light first so I have some time

DanS180 said:
Understood :) thanks for your advice tho, I take everything in no matter what.. yeah I'm gonna start out with just one coral and see how I do with it since I've never done them before but I have to get my new light first so I have some time

Oh, here it goes! I can already see how this is gonna end... It starts with one coral in a mini-reef and before long you'll have that tank so filled with corals they'll be growing on the glass! Then... you'll get another tank and in a few years you'll have a giant reef so full of stuff you'll be the one giving me advice and selling coral! Yep, that's how this hobby works. Pretty amazing really. :)

Back
Top Bottom