*OFFICIAL* 16G Bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DanS180 said:
So I guess I'm goin to need a powerhead after all

A small one would be fine. Like a koralia nano 250 or 425. Both under 25 online.

22engine said:
A small one would be fine. Like a koralia nano 250 or 425. Both under 25 online.

Another item added to the list lol.. I'm getting my new light on Thursday and I'm gonna order a new filter and the powerhead as well :)

Yeah in prolly gonna look around on Amazon for diff power heads.. tryna spend as little as possible for it since I'm already buying the filter for $50 and the light for $40

You're going to want between 20x tank volume (320gph) and 50x tank volume (800 gph) flow in that tank, probably in 2 powerheads for diversity.

scottayy said:
You're going to want between 20x tank volume (320gph) and 50x tank volume (800 gph) flow in that tank, probably in 2 powerheads for diversity.

Wow really? I'm gonna need over 1000gph??

No. Between 320gph and 800gph. Rough guidelines but most reefers like to keep it in that range, and a lot of them on the higher end.

The two powerheads i meant splitting the gph in half for each.

scottayy said:
No. Between 320gph and 800gph. Rough guidelines but most reefers like to keep it in that range, and a lot of them on the higher end.

The two powerheads i meant splitting the gph in half for each.

Ohh okay now I understand.. like have one on each end of the tank??

If I got 2 240gph powerheads and put one on each side of the tank that should be good enough right??

Yeah. Maybe start out with one and see how you like it (plus this is cheaper - only 1!). I think if I had this tank I would do two koralia 240's (because your tank is pretty tall vs wide). If it were wider I would do a 425 and a 240 even though this would probably be okay.

scottayy said:
Yeah. Maybe start out with one and see how you like it (plus this is cheaper - only 1!). I think if I had this tank I would do two koralia 240's (because your tank is pretty tall vs wide). If it were wider I would do a 425 and a 240 even though this would probably be okay.

Good advice. The layout of the rock in the tank is very open and that filter is strong. One powerhead should do the trick unless he decides to go SPS. Zoas, mushrooms and LPSs will do fine with one powerhead, at least until his tank gets filled out. Once it's filled with corals he could find dead spots and need another one, but that's still a good way off.

CorallineAlgae said:
Good advice. The layout of the rock in the tank is very open and that filter is strong. One powerhead should do the trick unless he decides to go SPS. Zoas, mushrooms and LPSs will do fine with one powerhead, at least until his tank gets filled out. Once it's filled with corals he could find dead spots and need another one, but that's still a good way off.

Yeah that's what I was thinking of doing.. just buying 1 for the time being and seeing how it does, if I put in on the side of the tank, I could point it directly at the live rocks so it flows thru the caves and whatnot. And once I get my new filter I should have better surface agitation.. right now there's a whisper 20 on there and it's crap lol

Amazon is where I got my koralia 425. They had the best price.

DanS180 said:
Yeah the koralia 240gph on amazon is $28.80.. better than my LFS so I don't mind

Ahhhhh support local if possible! See if they'll match the price plus shipping. My LFS does :cool:

Benamayer said:
Ahhhhh support local if possible! See if they'll match the price plus shipping. My LFS does :cool:

That would be cool. My lfs wouldn't and wanted almost double for the wave maker. I got two 425's and the wave maker controller for the piece they wanted to wave maker. Crazy. Plus I had amazon prime at the time so everything is free two day shipping

Benamayer said:

No can do lol my LFS doesn't price match unfortunately, they're overpriced on everything.. but for the size of the store, I can understand why lol

So I CANNOT find a glass top for my tank :/ I've tried everywhere online n offline.. its just not meant to be I guess..

Guess I'll have to think about swapping my 16G BF for my 29G tank I have that's sitting there collecting dust.. ughh I don't wanna do it bc of trying to move everything to a new tank.... but then again I wouldn't mind bc its bigger haha

DanS180 said:
So I CANNOT find a glass top for my tank :/ I've tried everywhere online n offline.. its just not meant to be I guess..

Guess I'll have to think about swapping my 16G BF for my 29G tank I have that's sitting there collecting dust.. ughh I don't wanna do it bc of trying to move everything to a new tank.... but then again I wouldn't mind bc its bigger haha

Have you looked into making a DIY screen lid? Or maybe cutting a piece of egg crate to fit? Those are what I'm looking into for my pico. I attached a pic of the egg crate since I can't describe it.

My new kitten is very curious too. Lol!

Back
Top Bottom