Paul's 40 Gallon Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got rid of my monti lantana, green hammer, and a couple small orange psammacora frags today for some credit. Ended up picking up two acro "brownies" that I've been watching the past couple weeks. I've noticed some of the colors starting to appear on these and figured I'd snag them up before they get pretty and the price quadruples.

This one came in completely white. For the most part from what I can tell it looks like it will be green with blue growth tips. This is the one I've been keeping my eyes on the most in anticipation. Looking forward to these guys coloring up.

pzVZyfD.jpg

4OAdcUo.jpg

cS8sFfx.jpg

This mille came in looking semi ok. It has some reds and greens starting to come out. This is actually my first millepora.

clkcnAd.jpg

Uo4gama.jpg

nTK8yO6.jpg

Didn't like the latana? Mine is very hardy, but never got the vibrant yellow out of it.
I did actually like the lantana, but the colors where so dull and not improving though it was growing well for me. There is one at my LFS that is ridiculously bright yellow with bright blue polyps and looks really nice. I'd just rather have a stick in its place. Real estate is precious. ?

That basslet is really cute. Love the nice coloring he has.

Thanks, I'm really glad I went ahead and had my LFS order him for me. He likes it in the dark, but whenever I catch a glimpse of that bright orange sneak by through the crevasses it's a real treat. Occasionally he will poke his head our of a hole somewhere and get a quick look with his big ol mouth. ?

Forgot to mention that I found this tiny little gorilla crab hiding in that millepora I got yesterday. I was really hoping it was an anemone crab, but didn't get so lucky. He made a trigger happy today at the LFS.

2xz7Bwt.jpg

My latana in my tank is brown rather than the bright yellow too. I'm hoping the improved water quality addresses it, but I doubt it. Can't kill the thing though. Algae over ran it twice and it's still kicking.

I mounted the new Acros today along with moving a couple around and removing the M. hirusta (I think). I will probably do away with that piece. It frags itself every time I look at it. It has been replaced by my Scripps acro that was in the back of the tank. I got rid of the M. lantata and moved the bonsiai acro to that loacation. The Millie got put in front of it. The other new acro got placed near where the bonsai was. I think with a litttle growth takes place, the acro placement will mix well. I seem to be slowly ditching all my monti's for acro's except for the monti cap's.

Here is the new milli. I was able to clip it off of the rock it came on as it didn't have hardly any encrusting. It's placement will also slightly shade the acan's below which I think may getting a little more light than they prefer.
g1u4jIo.jpg

The other new acro Not a clue as to what this one is exactly. They are both wild colonies. This one remained on the rock it came and it worked out pretty good in placement. I had to clip some free xenia off of the side of this rock and remove it.
lhblWgX.jpg

The purple bonsai's new location. It's relatively close to the big bad torch next door, but I think it will be within safe proximity for some time.
bQNZUxe.jpg

This is the Scripp's acro that was in the back of the tank, not very visable. It's new placement is where the M. hursuta was before, surrounded by zoas. We'll see how this plays out. It's ever been a big encruster so I think it will be alright.
DkIfeaI.jpg

Here is a link to an updated tank video after finishing everything today. I believe this is the most acropora I've had in the tank ever.:)
https://youtu.be/YBcF-1rD41o

Nice Zoa colony in that second to the last picture ,.... sounds like you drained your Xmas money on the new coral,...tank looks very healthy and beautiful

Thanks Dary. I'm always broke...LOL. I try to stick with the barter system on coral and what not. I did end up giving the yellowfin flasher to someone. He was a nice healthy fish, but my pintail kept bullying him s little and he swam straight into the trap before I could even put food in it, first try. I do currently have a small and very thin female red mandarin. I know, it's probably not going to make it, but I'm hopeful. I haven't seen her eat yet though there are pods in the tank. The place I got her from was not my usual LFS, and I knew the fish would die 100% guaranteed under their care. I got the guy down on the price of the fish because of it being small and skinny. I'm hoping to have some tiger pods in Friday for her if she's still kicking. She did look a little more active today. Wish me luck with getting this little beauty back to health!

Day 1-
ivPRESj.jpg

GRGlqmI.jpg

cHVmq5q.jpg

Day 2-
JWuygdg.jpg

Poor little Mandy .. I understand they can be a real handful to keep going. ... still love the zoa 's esp the bright yellows ,... I think I'm going to have to add some more color to mine now to " keep up with the Paul's "

Poor little Mandy .. I understand they can be a real handful to keep going. ... still love the zoa 's esp the bright yellows ,... I think I'm going to have to add some more color to mine now to " keep up with the Paul's "

Yea, they can decimate pods. I picked up some LRS fish eggs to try with the mandarin tonight. She perked up a bit with it in the water, but still didn't see her eat.If you're refering to the yellow skirted ones I think your talking about then those are one my favorites. Just a wild zoa colony, but they really "pop". You should always get more zoas if the room is available! (y)

The new arrangement looks nice. I hope the mandarin makes it. She's really pretty. I like those yellow skirt zoas also, they are very bright. Your zoa garden is beautiful and the acros are nice to. Do you dose your tank to be able to keep those acros?

The new arrangement looks nice. I hope the mandarin makes it. She's really pretty. I like those yellow skirt zoas also, they are very bright. Your zoa garden is beautiful and the acros are nice to. Do you dose your tank to be able to keep those acros?

Thank you. No I don't dose really. Occasionally I'll dose a little calcium if it gets low. Water changes with regular old reef crystals. I have been dosing Vibrant from UWC once weekly. This product is a bacterial blend that "cleans" aquariums, but reach should be done in using this product. It did knock out almost all algae in my tank, but brought out a series of cyano that I'm still working with. I'm sure once these SPS's get larger there will probably be a more fluent dosing schedule of some things.

I picked this guy up yesterday. I'm kinda wondering why I never tried one before. It's a small one, but seems to be very gentle in the way he moves around. Gonna see what he can do with my sandbed.

Fighting Conch-
8Evz82B.jpg

zRrYPrp.jpg

1fuNODn.jpg

In other news, I have not seen the mandarin today yet. Not the best sign. She hasn't been hunting like a dragonet should always be doing unless sleeping. Sadly I don't have high hopes for the little girl. ?

Well, the little red mandarin is a goner. She wasn't interested in anything I tried. I was afraid that was her fate when I got her. I'm considering ordering a "curious wormfish" that is available from my guys supplier right now. I've personally never seen one, but seem like a pretty neat little fish.

Back
Top Bottom