phosban and alk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr.Nate

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am seriously thinking about starting to add some phosban to my system due to recurrent algae issues. My question is, does it lower alk? Will I have to monitor alk all the time or what? I don't really want that hassle either, but choose your poison, I guess....

It can lower your ph and alk. We have about the same set up except I don’t have corals or the uv sterilizer yet. I assume you use ro or ro\di water so do you know what the source of your po4 is? Do you know what level your po4 is?

Personally I use Seachem Phosguard but honestly I’ve never seen my po4 above .1 so I don’t know how well it works.

My PO4 is reading zero, but I have an aquarium pharmaceuticals test kit and I'm not so sure how great it is.....

Can't find the source of P04, but there must be some or I wouldn't be having algae issues....

The only thing I can think of is my CC substrate and I'm not looking forward to changing that out anytime soon :(

The AP tests are usually fairly reliable. If I’m not 100% sure of a reading (like getting a 0 reading) I’ll use half as much water but the same about of drops to see if I get any color change. I think I read that they can expire with time so if they are old you might want to have a lfs test it as well.

Using the Phosguard I haven’t noticed any appreciable drop in ph or alk and is states it doesn’t leach back into the system so I usually leave it in for a couple of weeks at a time.

As long as you vacuum the cc it usually isn’t a problem.

Just about everyone has algae issues at one point in keeping a sw tank and it’s not always tied to po4, that just seems to be a culprit most of the time along with excessive lighting\feeding.

Are you talking about a few patches here and there or is your tank inundated with it? I have 0 readings as well with two different tests and I still get small patches every once in a while. I think high levels of no3 can bring it on as well but you have to have readings of over 20 ppm for that to be a factor and most people don’t.

Back
Top Bottom