Phosp??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spontuzak

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What's the best way to remove phosphates from my rock and sand? Apart from a reactor and phos/silicate filter media bags. Can it be removed physically any way?

Phosphate is dissolved in the water, not physically on or in the rock. Debris can break down and increase nitrate and phosphate. That debris can be vacuumed but may be better left in for filter feeders to eat.

What is the phosphate concentration in the water?

Fishguy2727 said:
Phosphate is dissolved in the water, not physically on or in the rock. Debris can break down and increase nitrate and phosphate. That debris can be vacuumed but may be better left in for filter feeders to eat.

What is the phosphate concentration in the water?

I have color vision problems, but it looks to me like it's in between 0.03 and 0.1. I have a bit of an hair algae problem. Slowly but surly getting it under control..

Hair algae is a tough one. The thing that got my tank over it was a sea hare. Other things could help a little, but the sea hare is what actually fixed the issue. The problem is that they can't go without it so once they eat it all they need to go into a new tank that has some. I had enough in the sump to feed it until the display had a little more again.

A media reactor is a very effective and efficient way to deal with it. It is in the water so you can't physically remove it yourself.

Nitrate and phosphate are simply nutrients in and nutrients out. Figure out where the imbalance is and you will figure out what you need to fix.

Nutrients come in via water if you are not using 0 TDS water to mix your saltwater and top off and food. Every time you feed you add nutrients to the system.

Nutrients leave with water changes, corals using them during photosynthesis (specifically the endosymbiont zooxanthellae), refugium (macroalgae growth), and special media. Without one of these outputs the nutrients stay in the water column and can feed bad algae.

Fishguy2727 said:
Hair algae is a tough one. The thing that got my tank over it was a sea hare. Other things could help a little, but the sea hare is what actually fixed the issue. The problem is that they can't go without it so once they eat it all they need to go into a new tank that has some. I had enough in the sump to feed it until the display had a little more again.

A media reactor is a very effective and efficient way to deal with it. It is in the water so you can't physically remove it yourself.

Nitrate and phosphate are simply nutrients in and nutrients out. Figure out where the imbalance is and you will figure out what you need to fix.

Nutrients come in via water if you are not using 0 TDS water to mix your saltwater and top off and food. Every time you feed you add nutrients to the system.

Nutrients leave with water changes, corals using them during photosynthesis (specifically the endosymbiont zooxanthellae), refugium (macroalgae growth), and special media. Without one of these outputs the nutrients stay in the water column and can feed bad algae.

Man, thanks for the solid feedback. Very informative advice. Although I've had my tank for years, I have recently discovered my passion for it. Loads of mistakes made, but I'm just now realizing how to properly maintain it.
Thank again..

What's the best way to remove phosphates from my rock and sand? Apart from a reactor and phos/silicate filter media bags. Can it be removed physically any way?

It can be removed physically using methods such as Sea Hares, crabs, Tangs, and chemicals like Phophate remover or Bio-Pellets- But sometimes most of it just does not work- If you really want to ride of it all and it is becoming a problem- you can Bleach that rock and Dip it in Mautic Acid or just a Acid Dip that will peel off that layer of Phosphates that is refueling the Algae to grow- But I would do this if it is your last resort and your just few up with spending money to fight it here is a Link that talks more about it

Bleach vs Acid

I wouldn't bleach or dip live rock in acid. This is not that serious of a situation. And it is not a 'layer of phosphate' that you are trying to get rid of. It is in the water, that is what you need to control.

I wouldn't bleach or dip live rock in acid. This is not that serious of a situation. And it is not a 'layer of phosphate' that you are trying to get rid of. It is in the water, that is what you need to control.

That's why I suggested it to be your last Resort if you have too... Not all tanks are the same

Back
Top Bottom