Pico? Need Options for 2.5 or 5g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmay33

Aquarium Advice Addict
What are the options for a 2.5 or 5 gallon pico reef? Just curious.

Maybe some shrimp and/or snails. No fish that I am aware of.

Cool. If this turns into a reality I really only want corals and a couple of inverts. I was just wondering if any fish could lead happy, healthy lives in one. Of course, my bettas each get a 5 or 10 gallon. I don't like cramping fish. I think it's mean. Lol. Thanks!

I'm not aware of any fish that are okay in a 5g. Maybe someone will chime in. Corals and shrimp/snails would be fine.

I'm not aware of any fish that are okay in a 5g. Maybe someone will chime in. Corals and shrimp/snails would be fine.

Thanks. I'm pretty new to saltwater. What shrimp are reef safe?

Most shrimp are reef safe, from my experience I have had peppermint shrimp and a cleaner shrimp. Check out liveaquaria.com or reefs2go.com gives you a lot of info on all the different species.

Most shrimp are reef safe, from my experience I have had peppermint shrimp and a cleaner shrimp. Check out liveaquaria.com or reefs2go.com gives you a lot of info on all the different species.

Thanks! I've been wanting some peppermint shrimp but I have an anemone and I've heard they don't mix?

I have a 5 gallon, and I have a peppermint shrimp in with gsp, Xenia, and trumpet coral with limpets and colonista snails. Everything lives in harmony, other than the occasions that the shrimp crawls over the gsp. It just shrinks a little bit then extends fully. I say it's fine, but I'd only go with one due to the small space.

Thank you! That's amazing! I'm jealous that he could get a seahorse to eat. One of these days.... Lol.

If I do a pico tank, it will likely be in this 3 gallon halfmoon. I will have a cleaner shrimp or maybe some sexy shrimp along with a hermit or 2. Corals would be likely mushrooms and Polyps. Maybe some Xenias. :) has to stay freshwater for now.

img_2290059_0_415e08141617a681af161baa0d66942b.jpg

Maybe a neon goby could fit? I have one in my 10 gal.

I love yellow clown gobies and maybe a court jester goby? If anyone disagrees they can pipe in but I know clown gobies would do well in a small tank with corals

I love yellow clown gobies and maybe a court jester goby? If anyone disagrees they can pipe in but I know clown gobies would do well in a small tank with corals

That would be so awesome. I love any kind of goby. I hope someone chimes in!

Not a fan of small tanks like that. You could do a invert tank but that would even be hard to accommodate. As long as you have time to dedicate to the pwc and temp fluctuations then give it a go. :)

I can just imagine that xenia taking over! Well as long as you keep up on fragging, water changing, and keep parameters in check (basically what Crystal said), you'll be fine. More work than needed IMO, but if it turns out great, the hard work pays off.

Back
Top Bottom