Piranha

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Exodon tetras. They are mean little buggers my friend has 5 full sized red bellies with 7 or 8 Exodon tetras and the piranha are scared of the tetras lol it's really funny to watch

I knew somebody who kept red-belly piranhas with convict cichlids in a big 100 gallon tank, every once in a while the piranhas would eat one of the convicts. Like was said above, they are pretty much a species only fish, one type of piranha will eat another.

Piranha's are illegal in the US... people used to set them free when they couldn't handle them anymore... And they were killing off the other fish...
Where do you live?

ocminpin said:
Piranha's are illegal in the US... people used to set them free when they couldn't handle them anymore... And they were killing off the other fish...
Where do you live?

Correct me if I'm wrong but they are legal in some states however there are states that prohibit the possession of piranha.

ocminpin said:
Where do you live?

They are not illegal in the u.s. just some states

they are quite common as juvies in lfs.
u can keep them with other carnivorous fish AS LONG AS they are raised with them pretty much their whole lives. iv seen oscars and bn plecos live happily with pirahnas, and a silver shark + 7in barb-thing + 2 pirahna mix. but its all about how they are raised, how often they are fed and the tank they are in, you cant introduce ANYTHING once you have a pirahna, they will shred it. plus its no god to add a med to large pirahna to any established tank at all (even an oscar tank!), same story.
red bellies are most common, check out youtube for a few vids to see if u still want one.

well, there you go, you're keeping it illegally....

it is illegal to buy, sell and keep any sort of Piranha fish...Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, Oklahoma, South and North Carolina, Texas, Utah, Virginia and Washington

PIRANHA FISH

LyndaB said:
well, there you go, you're keeping it illegally....

it is illegal to buy, sell and keep any sort of Piranha fish...Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, Oklahoma, South and North Carolina, Texas, Utah, Virginia and Washington

PIRANHA FISH

Haha, so apparently I could keep one legally??? Lol. Too bad I don't have a big enough tank. (I am in Iowa)

I never knew prior to reading that article that you actually should keep them in groups, which makes perfect sense though, since they are always in large schools in the wild.

My LFS sells 2" RBP's for $10 a piece... Thats in MD. I was really into them for a while and was about to set up a 125g and get four. They were also selling 5" adults for $25. They have what's called a "Black Piranha" for like $60. It's like a RB only 3-4x more aggressive.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom