Planning future planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Druinz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I'm planning for a 30g tank I'm going to set up over time. I'm planning to go for a densely planted tank, with some slate and natural grey tones to be complimented with green plants.
I was wondering a few things about potential stocking ideas.
So I want Tiger barbs, which I'd keep around 6-10 of, and quite possibly a red-tail black shark. I'm hoping to also get some neons in as well.

However, I've heard that when grown, a red-tail shark will eat tetras.
Do any of you have any experience with this, or any recommendations aside from tetras?
I'm happy to get new ideas.
Thanks!

Darn, looks like you're right. My first check claimed they don't get above 4 inches, but upon further checking, they can get up to 6 inches and a 55g min is recommended. :( Looks like I can't keep one of these awesome fish

Guess this is why it's always good to check with multiple sources

Darn, looks like you're right. My first check claimed they don't get above 4 inches, but upon further checking, they can get up to 6 inches and a 55g min is recommended. :( Looks like I can't keep one of these awesome fish

Guess this is why it's always good to check with multiple sources

I had troubles with the barbs eating my plants in my high tech tank. I've got them in a low tech now and they don't seem to touch crypts, anubias or Java ferns.

Just a heads up for you [emoji106]

I've some barbs in my tank and I haven't seen this behavior. Instead, they've eaten algae.

Look into Cherry Barbs as an alternative to the Tiger Barbs. They are much more peaceful, and in my opinion, more colorful. You'll have more options with more peaceful Barbs.

IMO A planted tank looks best when you school together many small fishes.

There are so many cool fish out there outside standard barbs and tetras too..Take your time and research the possibilities. Most fish can be shipped and delivered to your door so you are not a slave to a standard local fishstore offerings..

I have 3 neon dwarf Goby's being delivered tonight

Back
Top Bottom