pokmijn 10g nano build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
here's a few update pictures, dont mind the diatoms as its slowly going away.

the clown
img_1169334_0_2e2a950e3bd092e9e85d4c1886d8fc4d.jpg

pinks bird next(got 2 days ago)
img_1169334_1_cf86870a3062250ba011a51f1b2da96b.jpg

orange digi(got 2 days ago)
img_1169334_2_0fd54cb06c52b0bbabc68b630c06133a.jpg

trying to do a zoas garden
img_1169334_3_4308c9abbf255eeb935d6175310f20e4.jpg

fts
img_1169334_4_f4055d495cda055cd82cf3b71e8df0a6.jpg

ok so i miss out a some super deals because of my lighting so i have decided to do no more shopping for my tank and save up for a new light system.

Any recommendation?

For nano tank LED lighting seems to be the way of the future. It can have enough power to keep any type of coral you want. It is a little expensive still but if your willing to do some DIY it is resonable. A nice benifit is that the LEDs have a life of something like 8-10 years before they need to be replaced and they can also be made dimmable. Check out this thread on a LED mod of a 12 gallon JBJ nano

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/12dx-led-build-132103.html

well to day i move my tank cause i put together a small stand(nothing fancy) so i can run my skimmer, well after the move i was putting the lights back on the tank and i crack one so i will be ordering two new ones but they will not get here until friday. so by friday i will have all together 195w of pc over my ten. Maybe my sps will like that more ill get picture up after the tank clears.

ok so i went ahead and order a new light today its a 150watt metal halide pendant it will be here within a week cant wait now i can go and buy those frags i missed out on.
Some millies and a red planet for 5 bucks each cant pass on these.
cant get anything update pictures up yet im at my inlaws place for holloween

HAPPY HOLLOWEEN everyone

ok here's some updated picture still looks pretty bright with just one bulb running now(cant wait til the halides to get here) and finally got a picture of the watchman its not very shy anymore.

img_1171763_0_605cbc237835d4d0525b0ec9103f7691.jpg

img_1171763_1_2b2409a823c1f4941d005c875099d4d5.jpg

and the sump finally got the skimmer in and its starting pulling gunk out the second i turned the pump on
img_1171763_2_04435c95e1ebed88da08c6ffe8490714.jpg

img_1171763_3_c816836d4fa6b26fb65db8e694e58f6d.jpg

i have lr and some macro in the sump

thats great! wow did your tank clear up from the diatoms! loving all the frags and livestock.

coming along well! **** with a MH pendant, you could even keep a clam!

thats great! wow did your tank clear up from the diatoms! loving all the frags and livestock.

coming along well! **** with a MH pendant, you could even keep a clam!

yeah right after the move and the skimmer went in all the diatoms and algae i was getting went away.

Yep thats what i plan for, a clam.

Im just worried im gonna need to start dosing cause im gonna be getting a few more sps and a clam within the next couple month.

I wouldn't worry about dosing yet. Clams need next to nothing as long as you have a fish in there and It doesnt look like you have enough SPS yet to really impact your levels that much.

I wouldn't worry about dosing yet. Clams need next to nothing as long as you have a fish in there and It doesnt look like you have enough SPS yet to really impact your levels that much.

Yeah i know i dont have to dose yet but i was just worried that when i add a few more sps i will have to start. But im not sure maybe wc will be enough. What do you guys think

I have 10 sps in there right now and maybe 5 or 6 maybe more in the next couple week. I want this tank to be a sps dominated tank. Of course i am gonna setup a frag tank later. Im pretty sure on my mind that i wont be upgrading to a bigger tank although i want to. Small tank just looks better to me.

YAY got the lights today ill get picture tomorrow when the lights are on. Took picture of the fixture but ill post it all together its a 150watt metal halide with two 14wt5 actinics

The skimmer I used on my ten was one of the biocube ones. I put it in my sump. You will prolly get a few responses saying the are a piece of #$%# but really I think they are just difficult to set up. they need to be in a place with medium flow, and a constant water level, then you can adjust the airflow to get the foam working. It took overnight for me until the foam rose to the collection cup, but after that it did work properly. It is a pain to set up, but it is super cheap, and works with a little TLC. It may not be as effective as the high priced skimmers but for a nano you probably won't need one as long as you mostly keep up with your water changes.

The skimmer I used on my ten was one of the biocube ones. I put it in my sump. You will prolly get a few responses saying the are a piece of #$%# but really I think they are just difficult to set up. they need to be in a place with medium flow, and a constant water level, then you can adjust the airflow to get the foam working. It took overnight for me until the foam rose to the collection cup, but after that it did work properly. It is a pain to set up, but it is super cheap, and works with a little TLC. It may not be as effective as the high priced skimmers but for a nano you probably won't need one as long as you mostly keep up with your water changes.

Yeah the only reason I went with a skimmer was because i knew i wasn't gonna be on top of my WC thats why i went with it, i was gonna run the skimmer from the red sea max but i got my crpbakpak to work with a bigger pump and im happy with it.

Well i took picture of the light when i took it out of the box but delete by accident and its already on the tank, i wish the metal halide had a little more blue but its doesn't maybe when i buy a new bulb ill buy a better one.

Here's a couple picture lights are just the actinics so its very blue.

FTS
img_1172917_0_a167fba18826dc974977d421d8c1796e.jpg

And my first clam ever
img_1172917_1_2280110afa39e397f52b64406d23200e.jpg

i also pick up a pistol shrimp but its in hiding and some cheato(freebie)

ill get picture with the halides on tomorrow after work when its on.

nice, crocea are the hardest to keep if im not mistaken? or i thinks its maxima.

and ive heard that a random YWG and pistol will pair pretty quickly since they do it in the wild, just listen for clicking here and there so you know that pistol is alive lol

ok well today after i got home from work i couldn't find my clown so i started looking for it and i found it, there it was dried up on the floor behind my tank so this is my first lost on this tank.

Now about the scopas that i had to put in my tank for a while ive been trying to catch for a the past few days but haven't had any luck and i really dont want to take apart the tank. Any ideas? And i need a new fish maybe a sixline wrass?

oh yeah forgot to mention im loven the halides my sps are expanding their polyps a lot better then before.

Back
Top Bottom