possible fin rot???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darby

Aquarium Advice Activist
Got home tonight, and saw one of my platys tail is missing a chunk off of the top end. Does this look like fin rot? Bad pic, sorry.

Hopefully it works now

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110319_233211.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110319_233211.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 143
I'm sorry it is such a horrendous pic, but I need help on this one. If I get a better shot, I'll post it.

These are the best shots I could get tonight.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110320_022203.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110320_022203.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 128
  • ForumRunner_20110320_022223.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110320_022223.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 108
  • ForumRunner_20110320_022248.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110320_022248.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 100
  • ForumRunner_20110320_022318.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110320_022318.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 111
A little more was gone this morning, too. What should I do?

It doesn't look like fin rot from the photos, of course they have a lot to be desired. I'd assume one of your more aggressive fish in the tank is nipping the tail. I can't tell you what you should do, but if you have another tank, I'd suggest removing the possibly injured fish, just be certain. I'd also check the Ammonia and Nitrite levels, with a quality test liquid test kit, (API, Salifert).

edit:
both ammonia and nitrite can poison fish, and cause their fins to 'rot', their skin to flake away etc..

Whether it's fin rot or from nipping, I'd just do a series of water changes. This will help fight off a possible infection too. Daily 50% water changes for a few days should help the fin heal. If it is fin rot, you may want to up your water changes. Fin rot, IMO, looks just like the name. Like the fin is kind of rotting off. If it's from nipping, it will be a clean cut with no infectious looking material around it.

The only other fish in the tank are five zebra danios. They aren't even half the size of my platys, really tiny.

The edge where the fin is missing is kind of white. Is that normal for any kind of injury??

I've seen several fins that have been nipped, and none of them had white around the area... That sounds more like fin rot to me. If you can imagine taking finger nail clippers and just clipping little pieces off their fins, that's what nipping looks like IME.

I agree with Jonathan, I would definitely start doing water changes. Do you have a test kit? If so make sure your water parameters are within range. Since it is a platy, I would recommend using a small amount of aquarium salt as treatment although I know the use of aquarium salt is fairly controversial. Quarantine him if at all possible. IMO, I would not use antibiotics as they may negatively affect the good bacteria in your tank.

I'll have to agree with rook on this one.. The pictures are hard to see, and with the information you've provided, you may have some water paramters that need attention. Definately go with the water changes.. and check the levels

I've seen zebra danios be very nippy, especially when in smaller sized groups.

I've heard of people using Maracyn-Two for fin rot in their home tanks and it not ruining their bacteria colonies. In the past I always treated the home tank, since just curing the fish with it doesn't guarantee that the bacteria that caused it will be gone from the tank.

Back
Top Bottom