possible fin rot???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Parameters for my 29g:
Ammonia~1
NI 1
NA 25
pH 8
GH 150
KG 300
This the tank that has my platy with the fin issue.

Ammonia should be close to zero along with nitrites. Nitrates should be less than ten. The closer you keep to these values I guarantee the fin rot will go away.

Check them in the morning as sometimes (at least in my opinion) immediately after a water change can incorrectly effect readings. When was the last pwc you did?

Four or five days ago. It sucks cuz I'm working insane hours right now. Today was my only day off for the foreseeable future.

I know how that feels. My gf and I share our tank so when I can't work on it she usually is able to help out. It sounds like your tank is still cycling or, if it's been set up for awhile, you may be experiencing a mini-cycle if you changed the filter media or gravel. I would keep monitoring the parameters and do pwc's as necessary. Have you seen any improvement in your fish?

Before the WC, it seemed like it got worse everyday. But this morning it didn't look any worse. Should I do another PWC after work tonight, or wait til tomorrow?

I would do another 30% pwc tonight to keep bringing those numbers down. By the fin rot not looking worse that means that you are beating the bacteria and now he just needs to heal. Keep an eye on those parameters and do pwc's when ammonia or nitrites get above .25 (they should be 0 nominally).

My gf and I work the same hours, and she only feeds them. She won't do WCs or testing. She's one of the "ooo, aren't they pretty" people. I like taking care of them anyway. That way, I know the schedule for everything.

Yeah I hear ya! When I started getting back into the hobby I had to relearn everything and this forum really helped me figure everything out. I got the tank for my gf to have some entertainment a and so that she could have a hobby since i'm out of state 4 days of the week. She's really been learning a lot and loves it.

Yeah, I bowed out about for years ago myself. This forum is a godsend. Thanks to all.

He seems to be growing the fin back. At least, I think he is. The white stuff is gone. How long does it take for them to start growing fins back?

Well that's awesome i'm glad to hear he's doing better! It will take a little time to regrow but give it 2-3 weeks and you'll hardly be able to notice. Just keep those parameters good!

Checked it out this morning, and the white part is completely gone. It appears to have started regrowing the rays back too.

Very nice! I have found that most illnesses and issues with fish have to do with water quality and the best treatment is pwc's and watching the numbers.

That's good news. That will save me a lot of money, free water...tee hee.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom