Question About Corys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

umramgirl86

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi! I am new to aquariums, and one of the fish that I have is an albino corydora (that I named Scuttle). I have since learned (from this site) that they prefer to be in schools. Scuttle is my favorite fish, and I want it to be happy, so I want to get some new corydoras. However, because I like to name my fish (silly, I know), would they be happy getting corydoras of a different type (like spotted??) or would it be best to stick with albino corys?

Sharkbait54 said:
You could get three albino and three spotted and they would be happy.

Well take into consideration the size of the tank and fish already stocked. On your profile you list the fish in a 10. Is this where the Cory is? If it is that'd be overstocked I believe.

picture_117 said:
Well take into consideration the size of the tank and fish already stocked. On your profile you list the fish in a 10. Is this where the Cory is? If it is that'd be overstocked I believe.

Didn't c that your absolutely right. You should upgrade before adding more fish.

jetajockey said:
The following is if stocking allows.

If the albino is a corydoras aeneus then I suggest going with either more albinos or bronze corys since they are the same species.

Thank you so much!

Hi Bigge al. Just so you know, its better to start your own thread rather than comment on a different similar one. :) You will get better individualized help.
Corys are not algae eaters. They are bottom feeders. :) That said, with the stock you are planning, I think you would be fine to get 4 albinos as well as a trio of otos (depending onhow good your filter is).

Bigge_al said:
I am in the process of starting a tank and researching algae eaters.
My first option was a otto cat but could not find one at any of my local LFS so they recommended an Albino cory but research says I need more than 1 but due to space I can only fit in 1 or 2 even 2 puts me at 111%. Finding it hard to locate fish.
Current plan: in 30g tank
3 mollies
3 platy
8 neon tetra
1 betta
2 albino cory cat

It is usually best if you start your own thread if you have a question. More people are likely to help.

You don't NEED algae eaters in a tank. You can have a nice algae free tank without them by manually removing and prevention. Cories don't eat algae anyway and need groups of 4-6 minimum. Ottos need an absolute minimum of 3 and should only be added to a well established tank (6 months plus) so there is enough for them to eat.

Back
Top Bottom