Questions about 1.5 gallon tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shrimp, then. A betta would not be happy in one for long. I've done it but it's work... and seeing a happy betta in a big tank is much more fun.

Why did you "have" to buy a 1.5g? If it's the price, save up. (PS: the Marineland hex 5 is on sale at Petco/Petsmart for $40, just got one myself.) A 1.5g is not much... and just as much if not more work than a bigger tank with monitoring, etc.

Since the tank is so small i'm probably gonna get a guppy or two and some ghost shrimp.

That tank is too small for anything except the shrimp IMO.

Yes. Other shrimp or snails.

Is this a game of "Ask the question until you get the answer you want"?

Hence my suggestion to go with a bigger tank than a 1.5gal... there's not much you can do with one.

Any small fish, realistically, is a schooling fish-- I'd say 5 minimum. Schooling fish also need room to swim... which they can't get in a 1.5gal.

Bettas are still really fun fish! I have 4 males that I have nursed back to health since I got them, and they are SOOO funny!
Every one of them has a different personality!
Don't let them fool you into thinking they are starving all the time though, because they're not. They just like attention lol!
But the smallest area one has is 2.5 gallons, with a filter.

I was thinking of just getting a betta and a small algea eater.

If you want an algae eater, just get some snails. Some bettas have to be seperated from bottom fish because they attack them.

You really won't have enough algae, or enough room, for an algae eater. Otocinclus are the only ones I can think of that are small enough (by that I mean they won't literally outgrow the tank) and they prefer to be in schools.

Shrimp will do the job, provided they're big enough so a betta doesn't eat them.

Regardless of what advice you take, do take this: get a tiny heater, especially for a betta (little ones exist) and a LIQUID TEST KIT, NOT STRIPS! the test kit will be absolutely critical to whether your small tank size kills your fish, particularly in the beginning stages.

You really won't have enough algae, or enough room, for an algae eater. Otocinclus are the only ones I can think of that are small enough (by that I mean they won't literally outgrow the tank) and they prefer to be in schools.

Shrimp will do the job, provided they're big enough so a betta doesn't eat them.

Regardless of what advice you take, do take this: get a tiny heater, especially for a betta (little ones exist) and a LIQUID TEST KIT, NOT STRIPS! the test kit will be absolutely critical to whether your small tank size kills your fish, particularly in the beginning stages.
Thanks for the advice
but about the shrimp like how big do they need to be?

Big enough so a betta's mouth can't get a good hold on them... Females are generally bigger (I have a HUGE female ghost shrimp in my tank).

If you go with shrimp that can reproduce in freshwater (such as red cherry shrimp), baby shrimplets will become betta snacks. The red cherries are gorgeous-- I like my amanos (they're fun to watch scurry about) but they're hard to see, since they're clear.

Just be careful-- shrimp like to jump out of nets when being moved about ;) They also love live plants, as do bettas. Another plus of live plants is they help keep the ammonia and nitrate concentration down-- you still need to do water changes, but spikes in your parameters are easier managed. Definitely helpful in a tiny tank.

Thanks
This is what i'm getting then.=]
Another question though does it matter if the betta is a male or female for the shrimp?

I don't think it particularly matters in regards to shrimp as long as they have hiding places. However, a smaller betta would be happier in the tank size you have, and females often are.

What's your filtration plans? If there's much current at all a male betta won't be so happy since he has all sorts of fins to drag around.

Gorgeous female bettas exist-- I had one for a while. She was darn ugly at Petco (and half-dead) but after a bit of TLC and some time she was prettier than a lot of males. They jump, though, so a lid is important.

The tank came with a small filter not sure what kind though...

Hopefully it's some kind of undergravel filter.
Female bettas may look ugly and dull when you see them at the store, but like BlueRose said, they become much more colorful and active when they have some TLC.

I don't think it particularly matters in regards to shrimp as long as they have hiding places. However, a smaller betta would be happier in the tank size you have, and females often are.

What's your filtration plans? If there's much current at all a male betta won't be so happy since he has all sorts of fins to drag around.

Gorgeous female bettas exist-- I had one for a while. She was darn ugly at Petco (and half-dead) but after a bit of TLC and some time she was prettier than a lot of males. They jump, though, so a lid is important.

The females in the store may be smaller than the males, but they get just as big as the males, maybe a little bigger. It's really up to you whether you want to get a male or a female.

I do agree that there are some really pretty female bettas out there. They may not be as flashy as the males, but they look really nice. Locally available betta stock has improved markedly over the last 10-15 years. I used to get excited if I found a mostly red fish. 99% of the bettas were blue with some red patches.

But also I don't really know how strong the filter is and I know a strong current bothers the male bettas so I would rather get a female.

Back
Top Bottom