Re-Stocking My 80gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlani

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all :)
As the thread says, I'm re-stocking my 80 gal tank. I had a unfortunate series of events (some known and unknown) that wiped out almost all of my fish.
The fish that have survived are as follows
1- synodontis catfish
3- cory catfish
2- harlequin raspboras
I have also added from my 65 gal
1- albino butterfly bn (female)
1- albino rainbow shark
I have 1 discus waiting to come home from the lfs once it's ready. I also plan on increasing the cardinals and possibly the raspboras.
If you have any ideas which fish would suit these tankmates best, please feel free to post. I will be taking my time stocking this tank. I want to make sure everyone who goes in will live a long and healthy life :)
If you need more info on the tank I'll answer all questions. Thanks :)

Mlani said:
also plan on increasing the cardinals and possibly the raspboras.
:)

I guess I'm having a harder time than I thought dealing with the deaths. I don't have any cardinals left. I keep thinking they're still in there swimming around sorry.

Mlani said:
I guess I'm having a harder time than I thought dealing with the deaths. I don't have any cardinals left. I keep thinking they're still in there swimming around sorry.

I am so sorry!!:(:(

As promised..im here:D

Now, i think we should start off with adding hardier fish first. Im thinking slowly addin more to the cory group. Once your done, either get rid of that rasbora for maybe danios, or upping its school to say 10.

Sorry about everything!

If your getting discus we will have to stock around them. A discus tank is a discus tank first so all their requirements are met and other fish chosen around them. You will need fish that can handle the higher temperatures of a discus tank.

Gboy66 said:
I am so sorry!!:(:(

As promised..im here:D

Now, i think we should start off with adding hardier fish first. Im thinking slowly addin more to the cory group. Once your done, either get rid of that rasbora for maybe danios, or upping its school to say 10.

Sorry about everything!

Thank you. I was thinking about maybe getting two more corys to bring it up to five? I'm thinking of the syno cat and the bn I want to make sure there's enough food for all. I don't want there to be a fight for the bottom stuff. Am I right in thinking this way? I really like the harlequins so I'd like to bring their numbers up. I'm thinking three at a time over a months time? What do you think? Is it a good plan? Or too long in between?

Mumma.of.two said:
If your getting discus we will have to stock around them. A discus tank is a discus tank first so all their requirements are met and other fish chosen around them. You will need fish that can handle the higher temperatures of a discus tank.

Thank you Mumma as always you remind me of what I need. The first time around I was planning it around just having discus with a couple bottom dwellers and some dither fish. I built all the filtration geared for the discus and have a larger heater so that I can maintain higher temps without straining the heater. So far the fish I have will all be compatible with the discus. With the exception of the albino shark. That one was more of a need to separate them out of my 65 gal. I'm hoping the shark will be ok? He's pretty laid back now that he's not housed with a red tailed shark. He's over 5" long so I'm thinking his temperament shouldn't change much more?

I don't know a huge amount about discus but a big factor with tank mates is if they can handle the high temps. I think most cories can't handle discus temps..... You also want slower moving fish. Fast fish that zip around can stress them out.

I'm keeping the temp at 83 right now. The corys I have are the ones that pulled through the ich with high heat and salt treatment. I have a panda, albino and leopard cory. The albino is the only one that sometimes zips to the top of the tank. The others just hang out on the bottom puttering around. The shark reminds me of that cartoon character that's says "which way did he go George" he kind of saunters around the tank. Do you think they'll be ok?

I've read quite a few in here, I started "subscribing" to them about 3 months ago. I hadn't read anyone saying the corys couldn't live with them until you mentioned it. So I thought I'd ask you more about it. No worries if you're not sure. I haven't found any related to whether or not the shark would be ok. On google it's pretty back and forth about it.

Mlani said:
I've read quite a few in here, I started "subscribing" to them about 3 months ago. I hadn't read anyone saying the corys couldn't live with them until you mentioned it. So I thought I'd ask you more about it. No worries if you're not sure. I haven't found any related to whether or not the shark would be ok. On google it's pretty back and forth about it.

Your probably more educated on the matter than me then! :)

Lol! Now that I can't imagine. You always give the best advice, you have the knowledge and the links to almost everything I've had to deal with thus far. :)

ditch the shark if you plan on putting discus in there, they get aggresive as they get larger.
Second for discus a group of 6-8 would fit nicely into your tank and with schools of rummynoses and cardinal tetras that would look great also some bottom feeders like corydoras would be nice

I have looked online about the shark and discus as it's pretty back and forth. My albino rainbow is around 5" already which tells me it's pretty close to full maturity. It's temperament is very docile. What I'm looking for is a stock plan around the fish I already have. I don't want to "ditch" any fish that already live here. I do appreciate your opinion though.

Hi i would add a few more cories of the same species that you already have but slowly as they may not like the higher temp. {your current cories having got used to it}
Add more harlequins so you have a group of ten or so.
The syno will be better of left alone{leave in the tank just don't get another one!}
The B/Ns will be OK as they are.
You could add a group of cardinals if you want to as they like the higher temp.
Now for the shark, now i would say as you know the fish better than anyone else its your decision:)
So to summarise
10 Harlequins
10 Cardinals
6 Cories
2 B/Ns Sorry not sure how many you said you had?:oops:
1 Syno
1 Shark
6 Discus
I would add the fish over a three to six month period?:)

I have looked online about the shark and discus as it's pretty back and forth. My albino rainbow is around 5" already which tells me it's pretty close to full maturity. It's temperament is very docile. What I'm looking for is a stock plan around the fish I already have. I don't want to "ditch" any fish that already live here. I do appreciate your opinion though.
Oh im so sorry, i thought you were going to add the shark. I apoligise for my rudeness

stingrays4 said:
Hi i would add a few more cories of the same species that you already have but slowly as they may not like the higher temp. {your current cories having got used to it}
Add more harlequins so you have a group of ten or so.
The syno will be better of left alone{leave in the tank just don't get another one!}
The B/Ns will be OK as they are.
You could add a group of cardinals if you want to as they like the higher temp.
Now for the shark, now i would say as you know the fish better than anyone else its your decision:)
So to summarise
10 Harlequins
10 Cardinals
6 Cories
2 B/Ns Sorry not sure how many you said you had?:oops:
1 Syno
1 Shark
6 Discus
I would add the fish over a three to six month period?:)

Thank you :)
I really like this stocking plan. I'm not sure about the cardinals though. I just lost 14 of them and I'm not sure I want to put myself through that again. Is there another group that I could substitute them for? Right now the corys and the rasboras are pushing my shark around. So I think that speaks volumes as to how timid he really is. It's quite comical to watch, they swim right up to him and he runs and hides in his cave. Lol! (don't worry he's still eating and coming out to play) I didn't think I could put 6 discus in there? I'm still trying to figure out what the best schedule will be for pwc's with a community tank with discus involved. I know that they need pristine water conditions, so I was planning on 3 a week? With 6 I'd have to up that wouldn't I?

Jason7894561230 said:
Oh im so sorry, i thought you were going to add the shark. I apoligise for my rudeness

Oh no worries :)
I didn't think you came across rude at all. I hope you don't think my response was snarky? It wasn't meant to be. I may have been a little short, I get a little sensitive when it comes to my fishy friends. I can't imagine just giving one up after watching it grow from a little bitty baby. Please don't let this prevent you from adding more ideas :)

Hi not sure what to recommend over cardinals? I haven't kept discus but know they like there own company and 6 in a 80 gallon should be ok but would be nice for someone to confirm whether that's a good idea or not? As for PWC, I usually do between 20 and 30% a week and that's always been OK for me and i have had some sensitive fishes over the years:fish1: Although i have heard that with Discus its best to do smaller water changes more regularly? Once again be nice if some one could confirm whether this is correct or not?

stingrays4 said:
Hi not sure what to recommend over cardinals? I haven't kept discus but know they like there own company and 6 in a 80 gallon should be ok but would be nice for someone to confirm whether that's a good idea or not? As for PWC, I usually do between 20 and 30% a week and that's always been OK for me and i have had some sensitive fishes over the years:fish1: Although i have heard that with Discus its best to do smaller water changes more regularly? Once again be nice if some one could confirm whether this is correct or not?
You can do 50% or larger water changes every day. It won't hurt them, they thrive in clean water! :)

Back
Top Bottom