Re-Stocking My 80gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm running R/O in the tank and run custom filtration three bios running right now. I removed the carbon. I've been doing 25% pwc twice a week thus far. I figure when or if I get more discus I'll up it to 3-4 a week depending on their waste?
I have to tell you all what I got for my birthday. I'm so happy! I've been waiting for my discus to be able to come home. (Since before Christmas) well he's here!!
Everyone meet Trooper!
Isn't he a handsome little devil!? He's just a baby 3-4" and his colors are still coming out.

Attachments

• image-1520257500.jpg
    image-1520257500.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 38
Hi Trooper:fish2::cool: yes a true beauty (y)
How about rummynoses over cardinals?
As for the PWC, i would see how it goes as i am a little 'old school' and think most modern set ups are a little too clean?

stingrays4 said:
Hi Trooper:fish2::cool: yes a true beauty (y)
How about rummynoses over cardinals?
As for the PWC, i would see how it goes as i am a little 'old school' and think most modern set ups are a little too clean?

I've been looking at the rummynoses, I do like them. Are they passive though? Do they have the same behaviors as the rasboras?

Hi i have ten in my forty gallon set up and they are extremely placid:fish2:
I have 'true' rummynoses though,the red runs past the gill cover,only marginally though so look carefully:cool: I think that's right? Sorry having an indecisive night:oops:
Yes they act very similar to other rasboras :)

Thank you. I'll look for the ones that have red going further towards the gills. All the ones I've seen so far at the lfs only have the tips of their noses red.

I went to a few different lfs's today and couldn't find any true rummynoses. :-( So instead I picked up 5 cardinals, 5 harlequin rasboras and 5 glow light tetras. I figure I will see how it goes with these guys and I'll add more of each kind until I have a fair sized school of each. What do you all think? Then I figure I might get another 2 cories.( I saw ones today that have a gold stripe from their noses to the tip of their tails.) Then I'll add 3-4 more discus, possibly an angel or 3 and it'll be stocked? Sound good??

Hi sounds good(y) Just a thought on the Discus is that would they be best to add all together at the same time to avoid territory disputes? Not sure if discus are that way inclined though?? How are the new inhabitants settling in?:fish2:

I've already got one in there, but yes, you're right the best way to add them is all together. (that's from researching after the fact..oops) I'm planning on getting 3-4 more in April and I'll change up the tank just before I add them. Probably rearrange it as they're being acclimated. That way Trooper (my discus in there now) doesn't go ape on them. Lol! I forgot I had this thread going... Hasn't seen much "action" lately lol! I think after I add the discus I'm not going to add anyone else. I have in there now: 5 cardinals, 5 black light tetras(I think that's what they are) 5 rasboras, 4 corys, 1 syno cat, 1 albino rainbow shark, 1 albino bn, 1 apple snail and Trooper. Okay, I might increase some schools but I'm going to wait to see how the bio load holds up first. ;-) what do you think? Sounds good?

Hi sounds like a plan(y) One thing some people forget when stocking a tank is to allow room for growth? Hence why my tanks a lightly stocked well most of them are:oops:

stingrays4 said:
Hi sounds like a plan(y) One thing some people forget when stocking a tank is to allow room for growth? Hence why my tanks a lightly stocked well most of them are:oops:

That's what I'm trying to keep in mind as well. Honestly I'm having a bit of a tug-o-war with even adding more discus. After seeing multitudes of videos on you tube showing their natural habitats and researching like a mad woman I know the importance of Trooper (my discus) having more of his kind in the tank. But.. Yes there's a but..lol! I watch him in there and he OWNS this tank. He's the big guru in there and I'm struggling as to whether or not adding more would mess that up for him. I'm really invested emotionally with this fish and I don't want to do anything that may effect him in a negative way. That old saying keeps coming to mind..if it isn't broke, don't fix it. I have until April to make a call either way (that's when the local breeder I found will have some more discus ready to go)

Hi yes a tough decision and know one really knows how trooper will react to more 'friends'? The breeder should be able to advice you what to do after all if he is breeding them they must be pretty happy:fish2: Good luck and do please keep us posted:)

I'll see what the breeder thinks, but I know I will still worry. I didn't get Trooper from a breeder. I picked him up from the lfs. He's already beat culminarus and ich before I got him home. So I'm leery of introducing more discus because I really don't want the stress of it on him. Yes, it seems he's become the "spoiled" fish in this tank. Lol!

laoski said:
hey mlani! i subscribed to this thread!

Laoski!! So good of you to join us! :) I'm still on the fence about adding more discus. I'd love to hear more about your idea of having Trooper as a centre piece fish? What other fish should I add if I don't go with more discus?

i would really recommend starting a thread or having this thread moved to cichlid discussion, there is a lot of people there that have a lot of experience with discus :)

also its really not recommended to have any type of sucker fish (plecos, cories) with discus as they can attach themselves to the discus and cause damage. at least that is what i have heard.

Back
Top Bottom