Rebuilding fishroom... follow our progress here :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Otopharynx lithobates spawned again and I stripped the female today. I lost count around 70 eggs. Lol.

Also, got a young colony of crystal black shrimp! uploadfromtaptalk1392936530595.jpguploadfromtaptalk1392936550916.jpg

Wow! Nice set up! I can't wait to see itall together!

LOL, thanks so much! We were positive that we would be done adding tanks with the 2x 55 gallon rack we are planning, but then we started talking about another 12x 10 gallon rack and I think we are going to do it... :brows:

LOL, thanks so much! We were positive that we would be done adding tanks with the 2x 55 gallon rack we are planning, but then we started talking about another 12x 10 gallon rack and I think we are going to do it... :brows:

So how many tanks does this equal now?

Hi guys. It's been a while. Glad to see you still here and going strong with the fish.
Congrats on the upgrade/redo of the fish room.
Sounds like you need a separate room for the jet engine air pump. Maybe you can muffle it with some egg crate foam insulation stuff. Also when i'm in a hurry i use a powerhead to pump the water out of my lower tanks for pwc's. I just pop the siphon tube off and the hose fits right on the outlet of the power head i have. might shave some more time off the PWCs.
Looking forward to seeing all the new fishies.
I'm looking into getting some South American Dwarf Cichlids.

Hi guys. It's been a while. Glad to see you still here and going strong with the fish.
Congrats on the upgrade/redo of the fish room.
Sounds like you need a separate room for the jet engine air pump. Maybe you can muffle it with some egg crate foam insulation stuff. Also when i'm in a hurry i use a powerhead to pump the water out of my lower tanks for pwc's. I just pop the siphon tube off and the hose fits right on the outlet of the power head i have. might shave some more time off the PWCs.
Looking forward to seeing all the new fishies.
I'm looking into getting some South American Dwarf Cichlids.

Nice to see you again. :)

We don't have a separate room for the blower. It is on an outside wall. It can't be moved anyway, as we would have to redo all the PVC on the ceiling for the air. Since our tanks are mostly stocked, there's just no way that's going to happen. The blower can't be closed off in insulation, I'm pretty sure that would be really bad for it. Heat/exhaust issues. I got a decent Bluetooth soundbar/sub for the room so I can stream from my phone, and if I turn it up loud enough I can ignore the blower. ;)

All my powerheads that are not Koralias broke, and at any rate, I can drain the tanks really fast with 1 or 2 gravity fed hoses going at a time and buckets for small tanks/shrimp/anything with fry in it. It's the refilling that takes the bulk of the time. We had to replace the faucet recently and let's just say I did NOT choose wisely for a replacement. I cheaped out and now our water pressure is awful from the utility sink. Lesson learned, and it will get fixed eventually.

In other news, I stripped eggs from X. phytophagus Christmas fulu last night and got them into a tumbler. This is our first time breeding any Victorians so it's exciting. I also have tumblers going for the Protomelas and Otopharynx again. Good stuff.

Following! I love the idea of a fish room.... If only I could convince. My parents.... :)

Love your set up, but is it straining to keep up with? I have 30ish tanks, and its really straining, but it may e because I'm still in school, etc

Love your set up, but is it straining to keep up with? I have 30ish tanks, and its really straining, but it may e because I'm still in school, etc

Of course! But it's also something that I really enjoy doing, and I graduated college a long time ago so there is no school in the picture for me. That would be really tough. I didn't get into the hobby until after I was done with school... it was late 2002 sometime.

If there is one thing I have learned while being in this hobby, it's that you really shouldn't take on more than you can handle. Sometimes it's difficult to know your limits ("well, what's ONE more tank when I have all these already?" is usually how that starts out, lol), but it gets easier with time and experience. We could have built racks all the way up to the ceiling and put way more tanks in here, and some people do that, but the maintenance involved just isn't realistic for our household. Make sense?

Back
Top Bottom