Removing pesticides from aquatic plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Owp

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I’m just about to add to my tank some elodea densa to my tank but the place I bought them from recommended to remove the pesticides I need to soak the plant with water, baking soda and leave in light. However is this safe to do. Also, I got recommended to get a better light for my juwel tank. They recommended a t5 tube bulb with grolux which is great for plants supposedly but I don’t know which one to buy. Any recommendations for lights I can buy in the UK?

Summary:
Is baking soda safe for plants to soak in?
Any light recommendations?

Baking soda is fine to use but I can't say whether it's going to do anything to remove pesticides. If the plant has had pesticides sprayed on it then I would not trust it in my aquarium but that's just me.sorry I can't help with the light issue.

Thanks, the company said it’s only a tiny amount of the pesticides and they have already been treated to remove these but the website says small amounts can kill crustaceans and snails. So I probably think they’ll be fine I’m just soaking them in some dechlorinated water overnight so hopefully that will work. Can anyone help with the light

Activated carbon might help as it adsorbs numerous inorganic compounds. I would be worried about the pesticides being incorporated into the plant’s tissue.
Not sure what to suggest regarding the T-5 tubes. Have not used them in years. A single tube might produce enough light for a very shallow tank. The last fixture I had that used T-5 bulbs had two of them over a 12”/30cm depth. Light was fine for low light plants and mosses.

You should not be worried. Any company spraying plants with pesticides knows what they are doing, have gone through extensive training and have paid large amounts of money for permits and research to be performed. The risk is simply too large for the products they use to NOT be safe, meaning they will be fine, just a quick rinse under some tap water and you should be good to put them in your tank.

Most pesticides breakdown fairly rapidly in any environment (water + light + bacteria). The ones that do not break down rapidly are 100% certainly NOT being used on aquatic fish tank plants. That would be a lawsuit in the making.

Back
Top Bottom