Riccia fluitans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An t-iasg

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am thinking of replacing some of my java moss with Riccia fluitans. I want to use it in my betta bed.

See my gallery for pictures of my (former :( ) bettas in their beds.

I don't have any experience with this plant. Would my idea work? The soap dish bed has some open squares on the bottom. I could secure the riccia to this dish with a hairnet, and it could grow up through for a nice, soft betta bed. Would the riccia stay in the soap dish if left free-floating, or would it make a mess all over the tank?

Since Riccia doesn't attach, you'll definately want to secure it down. You might be able to get away with not securing it if you get the sinking variety and the sides of the bed are high enough. If the bed is towards the top of the tank, you should see some good growth.

Thanks!

Nice pics in that link, rkilling1. I would try to do something like that with the soapdish and a hairnet to secure the riccia. When it's time to trim, I can pop the whole soapdish out of the tank. I looked online for some riccia and it's kind of expensive! Before I decide on this plant, is it nice and soft enough for a betta? I had tried Monosoleneum tenerum before and I didn't think it was all that soft.

Back
Top Bottom