Sand poo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cajunreef

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What is this growing on my sand? How do I get rid of it?

Attachments

• image-295941447.jpg
    image-295941447.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 86
  • image-1394316477.jpg
    image-1394316477.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 77
Brown Cyano!!! Your nutrients are too high, what are your trate levels and phosphates? Feeding schedule, lighting period? Type of bulbs? I have it in my reef now. It stinks and I'd gross.

Dont discount diatoms from this... How long has your tank web running and has it cycled?

Benamayer said:
Dont discount diatoms from this... How long has your tank web running and has it cycled?

It's a new tank but most of the same water and all of the same live rock... It also has new sand. It's been up and running about 2 months

Rosesrblu1 said:
Brown Cyano!!! Your nutrients are too high, what are your trate levels and phosphates? Feeding schedule, lighting period? Type of bulbs? I have it in my reef now. It stinks and I'd gross.

Not sure of the levels... Not feeding the tank right now because all my fish are in quarantine. My light are 260 watts compact fluorescents. I run the light around 7 hours a day to keep my corals alive... It's really ugly and I want it gone!!! Lol

Rosesrblu1 said:

Oh and I also been using chemiclean to try and control it!

Is the stuff dusty on the sand or sticky like you can move like a mat. Dusty=diatoms, mat like= Cyano.

Mine was sticky and like a mat, and never had diatoms that bad on sand. Some do, I never did. Doing a few things for mine, including adding a fighting conch that is making an improvement, just taking a few days. My fish guy also just told me to dial down my white to 65% so let's see if that has any impact which I could see happening because area not in direct light are not as affected at all. Behind my rock should be icky and mine are squeaky clean. Time will tell.

Good luck

Benamayer said:
What are your water tests at?

What should I be testing at this point? My nitrates are near 0, nitrites 0, ammonia near 0 and ph 8.2... I just started keeping corals and they seem to be doing ok.. I've had a saltwater tank for nearly 8 years now and I always seem to come across new problems.. It's killing me!

If you are keeping a reef you should be testing calcium, alk, mag. I test alk and calcium, didn't get the mag test yet. You could do phosphates too. I bought the Red Sea algae kit with trates and phosphates. Got a crazy reading from the API trate kit, so I switched. The Red Sea combo was cheaper than if I bought separate. I paid 38.00 at foster smith.

Back
Top Bottom