Scott's DIY 10 Gallon Nano Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, it's never been wet and packed together so it's still "fluffy". But my guess is there's about an inch of coverage on the bottom, with the hill-like spot being about two inches. But once the tank gets water in it and settled a bit it will look like less.

It was just some white sand I bought at the LFS for $5 per 5lb bag. Not cheap, but I didn't want to mess with other sand and rinsing it. :)

And, darn it. I got my return pump today, but I forgot to match the tubing size to the pump outlet size. I have 3/4" ID tubing and it looks like I need 1/2". Now I will have to go to lowes. I was trying to avoid it. :p

Well I'm still missing my directional u-tube for the return so I can't set everything up yet. I did however put everything in it's place and did everything except plug everything in. If i get the u-tube (and moonlights, got them from the same place) tomorrow I can start my cycle!

Here's a picture of the sump setup.

img_1786519_0_9a233240cb380ea53063f56f12964ef2.jpg

From left to right. Intake compartment - heater, soon to be mesh filter sock off of drain pipe. Refugium - have about 10 lbs rock and 5 lbs sand. Return compartment - pump, float valve. Up top I have a water reservoir that is connected to the float valve for a gravity fed automatic top off. It is 6.5 quarts so I'm hoping it'll last me a week between refills.

Blue LED lights:
img_1786519_1_64db750bd6153f35521f55bd9df521e6.jpg

Blue+White LED lights:
img_1786519_2_9fd007b9b4a0c140414d68d67a207d6f.jpg

LED moonlights - coming soon.

For some reason on my new phone it doesn't capture the colors very well at all. The camera sucks. The actinics actually make the whole tank glow blue - and I'm really digging the spotlight effect it has too. The white+blue lights are actually a lot brighter than it shows.

Anyways, excited about tomorrow getting the system running and everything hooked up and started cycling!

Anyone know how to track an order with marinedepot.com when ordering as a guest?

Nope, I have the order number in my email, but when I click the link to check my order status it asks me to log in.

Ah, I signed up for an account using that email and the order history is under my account now. :) Out for delivery! wooo

Yes. Pretty sure it's one of the greatest feelings in the world!

i like the rockwork! is the blue the actinics or moonlights? my actinics are too bright so the corals wont open up but when the moonlights are on its kinda dark, the polyps are out though.

Thanks!

Those are the actinics. Again, my camera color's are off, the whole tank glows blue when those are on.. not just the spotlights you see. But it still has the spotlight effect though which I am liking.

I'm all set up now. I received the u-tube and moonlights in the mail today. I got everything plugged in and running. Feels weird running a sump 100gph.. almost feels like it's doing nothing.

Tomorrow I will start my cycle. I was going to today but getting all of the electrical hooked up was very time consuming and frustrating due to space constraints.

moonlights
they are really peaceful
img_1787995_0_c9d82e9c5cb6756f64b98b4dd5a8b209.jpg

Can't really tell because of the flash but without it my camera won't show anything. They provide a nice soft glow. Very happy with them.

I wanted something I could easily dose. I know how to fishless cycle.. read it a bunch of times. I just thought the ammonia would be way easier.

I have some frozen silversides. Can I just throw some of them in a mesh bag and let them rot away in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom