Sk3lly's Tank Progression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RODI unit connected to supply. Now for a test run. Still will need to figure a permanent way to drain it but for now a bucket will workImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396280546.453761.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396282625.928663.jpg
All up and working. No Brookster i meant the waste water from the unit. Its the black hose in the picture. Blue hose is the good RODI water. My TDS meter is handy. My tap water has 213ppm TDS. I'd love somebody that really knows about TDS to tell me what that level is like. TDS on the other end of the RODI is 0ppm. That in a nutshell is why i bought the unit

Oh, sorry, this is all very new and fascinating to me, that's why I keep asking dumb questions.. Seeing as you're a plumber, if there was an easy way to do im sure you'd have figured it out.. Is there any way you could hook a small pump up to it and send it out a window or into a sink drain?whats the waste ratio?

View attachment 231052
All up and working. No Brookster i meant the waste water from the unit. Its the black hose in the picture. Blue hose is the good RODI water. My TDS meter is handy. My tap water has 213ppm TDS. I'd love somebody that really knows about TDS to tell me what that level is like. TDS on the other end of the RODI is 0ppm. That in a nutshell is why i bought the unit
Don't forget you have to remineralise the new water. What way are you draining the tank for WC. You could use a pump to remove the old water and add the new water.....

Don't forget you have to remineralise the new water. What way are you draining the tank for WC. You could use a pump to remove the old water and add the new water.....

Yes i need to find out where to buy the stuff to remineralise. Im struggling though.

Yes brookster i have a couple ways in mind just need to look into them more.

Im not all that impressed with the ratio yet. I think it still needs time to purge the air from the unit. It says to run the unit for an hour. I dont have that time to do that today though

Look into seachem equilibrium for remineralizing.. I was just wondering how much waste water it produces vs. usable water???

I think its a ratio of about 1:4 in perfect conditions. That drained water must still be useable as its gone throught the filter stages. Just hasn't been through the De ionised stage

That's a whole lotta waste:0 hope your landlord is picking up the h20 bill...

Haha yea tell me about it. Luckily i only need to produce about 10g a week RODI to satisfy my water change needs. I will be building up to that slowly. Next water change i will prob only use 2gRODI and 8g normal tap

That's not so bad.. So you'll be mixing ro with tap?? You may not even need to remin???

That's not so bad.. So you'll be mixing ro with tap?? You may not even need to remin???

Yea at first. Every couple weeks i will up the percentage of RO to tap. Until its just RO on its own. I dont think you can swap tap for RO instantly without killing fish. I think its got to be a slow and patient process to not shock the fish

Yea at first. Every couple weeks i will up the percentage of RO to tap. Until its just RO on its own. I dont think you can swap tap for RO instantly without killing fish. I think its got to be a slow and patient process to not shock the fish
ohh for sure.. I wouldn't try and swing ph more than .2 ppm a week???

ohh for sure.. I wouldn't try and swing ph more than .2 ppm a week???

By .2ppm is that going to be similar to a pH of 7.0 going to 6.8?? Remember my fish will be pretty used to small pH swings. It alters throughout the day as the co2 lowers it. Then it rises back up through the night

Hey Sk3lly.
Great work man! I wish you lived close to me. We'd be talking some contracts. LOL
Good plumbers are like hen's teeth where I live.
About your TDS levels when dealing with RODI addition. I asked Threnjen to chime in on your thread when she gets a chance, She's got some good 411 on TDS and GH in aquarium water if I remember correctly. OS.

Looks nice and healthy. It's funny seeing the fluval u filter, that was the filter I used in one of my first planted tanks.

Hey Sk3lly.
Great work man! I wish you lived close to me. We'd be talking some contracts. LOL
Good plumbers are like hen's teeth where I live.
About your TDS levels when dealing with RODI addition. I asked Threnjen to chime in on your thread when she gets a chance, She's got some good 411 on TDS and GH in aquarium water if I remember correctly. OS.

Thanks a lot Old Scales i really appreciate that. I disconnected one of my tds meter probes and put it in the RODI drain water just to see if any had been removed. It read over 280tds. I guess thats as the water is sat still and not flowing. This experiment proves to me that the primary filters dont remove the tds and it is the de ionising resin that does this. I dont know if this is interesting or not but thought id post lol

Looks nice and healthy. It's funny seeing the fluval u filter, that was the filter I used in one of my first planted tanks.

Thanks a lot. With a bit of luck you wont be seeing that filter much! Still waiting for my pogostemon erectus to grow up and hide it

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom