smallest tank for breeding bristlenoses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nu-Nu the eel said:
Ok thanks! How many days should i soak for?

As long as it takes. Can take days/weeks/months. When I did mine I soaked for about a week then got impatient. So I put it in and just put up with the remaining tannin. Eventually it got removed by PWC.

Ohh ok thanks! Well i am soaking it as we speak, i live by a river so i will take a look down there for some nice smooth rocks! :) how long would i soak those?

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Ohh ok thanks! Well i am soaking it as we speak, i live by a river so i will take a look down there for some nice smooth rocks! :) how long would i soak those?

You have to make sure they aren't going to effect your water parameters. So when you get them pour some vinegar on them and if they fizz, chuck them. Soak them in a bucket of decholinated water for a week and test the parameters at the start and the finish. If there is a change, chuck em! Just give them a good scrub in hot water and they should be fine.

Ohh okay thanks for the info! Haha i think the drfit wood will be ok because we hae had it in a tank for a few months

I am boiling the wood.. But i still think when i put it in my tank the water will turn yellow again!

Hi nice to see you using natural decor and free:), just follow mumma.of.two advice and you will not go wrong:). The wood in my tank is still leeching tannins several years on after putting it in,mind you theres loads in there:fish2:
Just a daft idea but have you ever thought of keeping little fishes from your local river?

Haha thanks! And yes i have!! We have crawdads in there (insanely hard to catch) and other fish like polywogs, minnos, and maybe a few fish that look like chiclids.. But i am unsure. We also have alot of frogs and turtles! Haha the water is DISCUSTING so if they can live there, they can live anywhere!

Hey guys i just did a test on my 10 gal that i would be using for bn plecos. I testes ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. How does it look? Sorry if the pics are not good

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Hey guys i just did a test on my 10 gal that i would be using for bn plecos. I testes ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. How does it look? Sorry if the pics are not good

Are these results post cycle or pre cycle? Bit confused!

I had fish in there for a few months and they were doing fine, then i took them out and put them in my 40, and the 10 gal was empty for abt 2 weeks so i recycled it, even if it wasent totally necessary and did many water changes.. Is it ok?

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I had fish in there for a few months and they were doing fine, then i took them out and put them in my 40, and the 10 gal was empty for abt 2 weeks so i recycled it, even if it wasent totally necessary and did many water changes.. Is it ok?

Did you add ammonia to keep the BB alive for the 2 weeks it was empty? If not they might have died of starvation.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Oh i didnt. I will keep trying to cycle it and doing water changes then :/

Get some pure ammonia and do a fishless cycle. If there are some BB left alive they will make it quick. OR you could put the filter on your 40 (?) an seed it that way. Probably take just a long both ways.

Actually i might be ok. I added some formula that starts your cycle and i added my other 10 gallon filter to it which had bb in it! I now have 2 10 gallon filters in my 10 gal. Do you think its ok?

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Actually i might be ok. I added some formula that starts your cycle and i added my other 10 gallon filter to it which had bb in it! I now have 2 10 gallon filters in my 10 gal. Do you think its ok?

So you have two filters and one came from an established tank? Then, yep your good to go! FYI 99% of those bacteria starter formulas are just snake oil. Pure c*** IMO.

Back
Top Bottom