Starting Up A Nano!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can use kalk paste on aptasia too, just mix it to a toothpaste consistancey and cover it. For me it seems to work as good as aptasia x and I don't have to worry about whatever else is in there. You will have to use a syringe with a big needle because its thick.

R33F FeTiSh said:
Be careful feeding what you don't know. I got a green and Orange anenome hitch hicker and I fed it. It split 5 times and it was pretty hard getting them all out. I would get one and it split one, then another and another. Just a thought. Really watch it.

Thanks. Will be sure to keep an eye on things. It's good it's a small tank...easier to see whats going on.

tdwright1971 said:
You can use kalk paste on aptasia too, just mix it to a toothpaste consistancey and cover it. For me it seems to work as good as aptasia x and I don't have to worry about whatever else is in there. You will have to use a syringe with a big needle because its thick.

Thanks. Will have to maybe try that or Aptasia X since the hot water and lemon juice hasn't worked. They are tricky!

Tried the lemon again today. Round 3...and it seems I'm making them mad...saw a new one:( Is Mrs Wages in the States? Will check here though...thanks!

And quick question...my parents want an anenome for their true percs. Any suggestions as to what type?

If I were you and I was because I had an aitapsia breakout I would go buy 6-8 peppermint shrimp. Do mild feedings for a week or so. I will force the shrimp to eat them all. May take 2 weeks but they will get them all.

I've only had like one but I helped my friend get rid of probably 50 or more. We used kalkwasser mixed with some water til pasty and then inject them right dead in their mouth. I have peppermints and they not once touched the single one I had. It can be hit or miss with the peppermints and they won't touch ones that are larger,and then you've wasted like $5 a shrimp.

i hope you can get them...i had to wipe my whole tank by increasing everything from pH to calcium to finally wipe them off my rocks and out of the tank...

Thing is if you make them upset they will release larva, also even with the kalk a lot of time you have to cover them up every couple of weeks. Also for anemone, if their system has been up and stable for over a year then you might try a sebea but they are harder to keep, you might try a bubble tip but its hit and miss if they will host it. Anemones are difficult to keep to say the least, and usually end up dieing a long slow death. My bubble tip I had for 3 years, which for an animal that can live for hundreds of years is sad. I had a condy that no other fish would go near, it got too aggresive and huge and I took it to my lfs, that thing got a foot across and kept going close to the powerhead, it had a powerful sting.

Wow. Sounds like we have to control the aiptasia situation sooner than later. Such pets. On the bright side. Decided we are going to focus in ricordia:) So excited. LFS didn't have any today but they did have fish. Bought 2. A tiny long horn cow fish and a two spot goby to take care of the sand. So excited:)

Cowfish are soo cool looking! And ricordea are soo pretty.. Here is my favorite pic of one. I read in a post before about a nem. If you want your clown to host then just by a toadstool or gsp. They might host it. It's been done many times before.

Wow, that is beautiful. We have a green one right now. Split in two for us naturually, I love it. Went to the LFS and they only had green so we will browse the other LFS in the area to see if they have some for us to get started. The cowfish is super cute. So tiny though. We had to turn the one powerhead off because he was getting rocked by it. Was blowing him all over the place. He is managing now and hovering everywhere. He is a baby, or she, so there are no horns yet...has a couple spots and is a neat yellow. will try and get some pictures later:) I hope he does well in our tank. Always makes me nervous although our water parameters are awesome. And thanks about the nem, it was my Dad's request and after reading about them I am unsure. We will see though...if he wants it he will just have to make sure he is on the ball with feedings. Would be easier if they were maroon or clarkis since they seem to have more of a variety of nems to host. There is a rose bubble tip anem at the LFS right now and he wants $100...is that too much? He said they are 'rare' but I am not sure how rare...

Photos of our new fish.

Tiny long horned cowfish:)

img_1508667_0_87cdcbea347be4273573422b0ac6f64c.jpg

And sand sifter two spot goby:)

img_1508667_1_9e2d0e865d29ce0c4f0964dd07454e7d.jpg

Its not so much the feedings for the nem, but the lighting and water parameters. Also, be careful with the cowfish, as posted above because they can nuke the tank. It Is super cute though lol.

I heard that too. My bf is scared shitless now that he's gonna run into the glass, scare himself and wipe the entire tank out...lovely. Should I bring him back?

That's something ya'll need to decide. It's very possible to keep a cowfish. You just have to be a little more careful. Put in plenty of research before adding other fish/inverts to check compatibility. Keep him fed well and he should be fine. There a peaceful fish so it shouldn't attack itself in the glass.

It shouldn't completely change your decision on keeping the fish. It's just too cool of a fish to be worried about the poison part.

Back
Top Bottom