Stocking 28 bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Perrytheparrotfish

Aquarium Advice Regular
After I get everything in my tank under control, I want to restock it with a nice community tank. Any ideas?

Well, what type of fish are you thinking about? Schooling, one species, small, big, colorful? Give us some ideas or else I can go on for a LONG time!

AquaKai said:
Well, what type of fish are you thinking about? Schooling, one species, small, big, colorful? Give us some ideas or else I can go on for a LONG time!

Yes I agree!

I want colorful and active fish, I was thinking of moving over 2 male guppies from my 10 gallon tank. I love neon tetras, but they always die, btw the only stores around are Portland, petco, and petsmart.

Perrytheparrotfish said:
I want colorful and active fish, I was thinking of moving over 2 male guppies from my 10 gallon tank. I love neon tetras, but they always die, btw the only stores around are Portland, petco, and petsmart.

Zebra danios or glo fish are active and are schooling fish they will get along good. My petsmart and petco has them. Maybe platys or Mollys.

I would look for some cardinal tetras, they're just as colorful as neons and are much hardier IME. Maybe some cories for the bottom or khulii loaches. A german blue ram or bolivian ram or one of the apistogrammas? Those would all be good. Add a few more guppies. Endlers are another great option. I loved mine. They were very colorful, but then I had some issues and most of them died... But that was my fault putting them in not good tank set ups. But I would highly recommend them!

Perrytheparrotfish said:
How many danios, I like both platys and mollies, so how many of them also?
Ether a school of 5 or six if you wanted then a few platys and mollys.

Perrytheparrotfish said:
I have always wondered about kuhli loaches, but don't they get pretty big? How many tetras?

They don't get that big. About 3-5 inches. They're awesome- I've heard. Tetras once again 6+. They school.

So if I had:
2 male guppies
? Kuhli loaches
6 cardinal tetras
? Platys

Need help fillin out all the numbers

I only recommend two mollies and three-four platies, they both have big bioloads so you will want to keep them to a minimum if you want to add more fish besides them.

Personally I like cories. Panda cories all the way!

Ok the only problem about the kuhli loach and panda cories is that petco doesn't have them( they have normal cories though)

Perrytheparrotfish said:
Ok the only problem about the kuhli loach and panda cories is that petco doesn't have them( they have normal cories though)

Those ones would work ok. It may not be the best but they'd be ok. My petsmart usually has pandas and kuhlii loaches. I'd check out there as well. Plus you may be able to ask them to get stuff for you. I've been able to:)

So how does this sound:
2 male guppies
6 cardinal tetras
4 platys
5 Cory's

And what about a school of another kind of tetra?

Perrytheparrotfish said:
So how does this sound:
2 male guppies
6 cardinal tetras
4 platys
5 Cory's

And what about a school of another kind of tetra?

I'd up the cories to 6, they like schooling and do much better in 6+ groups! I'm thinking that you're basically stocked up. I'd wait to see how that all pans out then if everything is good get a few more guppies or a small school of a SMALL tetra, such as ember tetras or green neon tetras.

You could do another school of tetra. Do you like the deeper-bodied ones (ex. serpae tetras) or the skinnier ones (ex. black neon tetras)?

What kind of cories is it? Anaeus cories can work in a 28 G (bronze and albinos) and so will peppered, but not the emerald ones, which are brochis and get too big for that tank (5 inches!)

Back
Top Bottom