Stocking 28 bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like mollies and platys, swords have a pretty big bioload. I personally prefer to avoid them because they look almost exactly like platys, but they are larger and males obviously have a swordtail. I would replace the platys with the swords if you really prefer them, 3-4 female or 3 male swords would be good. You could eliminate the corys and get the same number.

Just want to throw out a different idea. I always try to pick a nice centerpiece fish, which is a single or pair of fish that really stand out in the tank, it's the first fish that catches your eye. A lot of people like small gouramis or dwarf cichlids as centerpieces, with fish like dwarf gouramis and bolovian rams being pretty popular. I can throw out some more fish if you are interested.

(Gosh, I haven't been here in forever. Hi everyone!)

Last edited:
I like the centerpiece idea, so what is a good recommendation, with 6 neon tetras, 2 guppies, 4 platys( I'll take the swordtails out), and 6 black neon tetras?

Is this your first tank? Only asking because some fish are more delicate than others.

I mentioned dwarf gouramis above, and along the same lines there are honey gouramis and pearl gouramis. It would be best to pick one of these, and just keep one male. I've heard mixed reports on their compatilibility with guppies though, maybe someone with more experience with keeping the two fish together can chip in on this.

I would go with a dwarf cichlid since you are missing bottom dwellers in your plan. There are bolovian rams, kirbs, and many different types of apistogramma (my favorite are cockatoo apistos). For a bit of a challenge, you could look into german blue rams, gold rams, and electric blue rams.

The german blue rams can be pretty delicate, just a warning.

For final stock I would say something like:
3 male or female platy
2 guppies
6 neon tetras
6 black neons
1 GBR

Someone can chime in on that to make sure it sounds ok.

After you cycle, I would start with the guppies, then platys, then either school of tetras, then the other school, and lastly the DG. Introduce them slowly so you don't get a mini cycle.

Back
Top Bottom