Stocking 6g Eclipse Nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

italianmafia03

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 6g Eclipse tank that I want to stock. I am new to the hobby and only have a little experience. I started the tank a few weeks ago. The tank has a mix between live sand and crushed coral for a base. I also have two dead coral for deco. Right now all of my levels are around normal. My pH seems a little low between 8.0 - 8.1. Both nitrate and nitrite are at near zero. I can see some brown algae growth on the tank wall and coral so I think I am ready to stock. I want to have a nano reef tank but I am not sure how much work is involved. I am ready to do weekly or bi-weekly water changes, as needed. I have done a little research and would like to stock the tank as follows:

1 Maroon Clown (as small as possible)
1 Shrimp (possibly peppermint)
2 Turbo Snails or other type of snails
1 Small Bubble Anemone (Super Green)

I want to start with the shrimp and the snails. Once they settle in I then would get the clown. Finally I would remove one of the coral and replace it with the bubble anemone.

Is this too much live stock for such a small area? Also, do I need to upgrade the stock light on my eclipse?

Any and all advice would be great. :wink:

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
Unfortunantly, the socking list you desire is not very well suited for a 6gal. tank. It is a bit small for both the maroon clown and the anemone. Also, there is just not suffient light to keep an anemone or most corals.

Can you list current water parameters (NH3, NO2, NO3, Ph and SG)? How much LR do you curently have?

All levels are normal NO3 is at zero. SG looks to be at 1.021. NO2 is barely past 0. My pH is a little low between 8.0 and 8.1. NH3 is also at normal, just over 0. I am going to do one more water change before I get a few snails and a shrimp.

I have rock inside the tank but none of it is live. I would say I have around 5-8lbs. There is enough room to hide, but the tank is also pretty open.

I am ordering a coralife colormax bulb. It is a 12" 8W T5 bulb, this is the best option I could find.

I know I need a little better lighting system for almost all corals but I read the bubble anemone would be fine without a 50/50 system. What are my other options without going to better lighting?

I really want a clown in this tank. Would a baby Percula or ocellaris be too much? I am starting a 29g SW tank within the next month, I could move the colwn then if I felt the need. Ultimately, I want to be able to do a PWC from the 29g into the 6g.

What are my stock options if I just wanted to have one fish in the tank plus a few snails?

I am ordering a coralife colormax bulb. It is a 12" 8W T5 bulb, this is the best option I could find.
Hmmm...I am not sure if this bulb will work with the NO flour. fixture. Also, 8watts is still not near enough to keep corals or light-dependant inverts.
I know I need a little better lighting system for almost all corals but I read the bubble anemone would be fine without a 50/50 system. What are my other options without going to better lighting?
50/50 really only refers to light color, not intensity. Anemones require lighting that is intense enough to penetrate the water. While the BTA is in the "moderate" range for lighting requirements (and on the low end for most anemones) 8watts is simply not enough. Also, a 6gal tank is too small for any anemone.
I really want a clown in this tank. Would a baby Percula or ocellaris be too much?
At the very most, one false perc may be an option. Still a bit cramped.
I am starting a 29g SW tank within the next month, I could move the colwn then if I felt the need.
That is great. Honestly, if you have intentions on starting the 29gal soon, I would hold off on the 6gal. It is just not suited for the ype of tank you want. The 29 is a mush better choice for several reasons.

I'd also avoid the turbos. They can get big.

I also agree that the maroon won't work. Check out the colorful gobies. Clown bogies, neon gobies, and a bunch of other colorful one. Check out sexy shrimp also. Small and unusual.

I'd also avoid the anenome unless you are pretty expert and diligent in water care.

29g give you much better options for what you seem to like.

I really want something unusual in the 6g. Lately I have been thinking twice about a reef tank. I have been looking at dwarf seahorses. I was thinking a pair of them plus a snail and a shrimp. I am a college student so I do have a little extra time on my hands. My major is Chemistry and I have a Bio minor so I am a confident I can take care of a pair of seahorses. I read that you only need a 1.5g tank for the dwarf species. Is there any other species that I could consider? Keep in mind I am in college and like every other college student, Im broke :(. I have all the equipment I need for both tanks. My only cost is stocking. I have seen dwarf seahorses for around $20 at the local shop.

If I put a pair of seahorses in the 6g, what else can I put in there? I want a snail and a shrimp so which species should I consider. Also, Spring Break is coming up, can I keep a shrimp alive for a week while I am gone? I do not plan on putting anything in the tank except a shrimp and snail before I leave. When I get back I could then get the seahorses.

For the 29g I have been thinking about a predator tank. Here are my stocking ideas:

Blue Spot Puffer
Dwarf Lionfish
Triger (possibly Huma or Undulate, you know something that won't break the bank)
Maroon Clown (Large enough so he can hold his own)

Thanks for being so helpful. I know everything that is on the internet is not fact and I personally do not trust my local shop. Keep the comments coming :).

dwarf seahorses reqiure 2 daily feedings of live bbs (baby brine shrimp). if you are willing to provide that for them, its best to get a culture of them goin BEFORE you get your horses. they also have to be decapped once youve hatched them so be prepared for that also. captive bred ponies are best, and at 20, it doesnt sound like they are cb. wild caught are very hard to look after and are prone to infections and such. check out seahorse.org for more info.

a 29g is too small for the trigger and puffer; its also the smallest tank recommended for the marroon and the dwarf liionfish, but they should be ok together.

italianmafia03 said:
, can I keep a shrimp alive for a week while I am gone?
No. Evaporation will increase the SG/salinity of the tank. A 6g is just too small to go a week w/ no attention. The smaller the tank the larger the chemistry swings. Things go bad very, very fast w/ tanks that small.
vsnsofradrgn said:
dwarf seahorses reqiure 2 daily feedings of live bbs (baby brine shrimp).
That means high nutrient additions which translates to a higher ammonia/Bio-load. Very close monitoring of water chemistry would be necessary. Daily PWC's may be needed as well with such a small tank and high food input. Nanos are best kept to people with experience with SW animals. A 29gal would be a much better starting place, though I would not recommend any of the fish you mentioned except the Maroon clown in a tank that size. They all grow too large as adults. HTH

I have a 6 gal Eclipse tank as well and i am setting mine up as a mantis shrimp tank. You need a lot of filtration and keep up on your water changes. As long as it is acrylic you should be ok. be prepared though, you may have to upgrade to a larger tank as the mantis grows but they are very fascinating creatures. A recent issue of FAMA had an article on them. be prepared though, you have to feed them live food.

For that 6g I would do all zoanthid polyps of various colors and some shrooms as well as leathers would work fine. I would also add in a pair of harlequin shrimp and then pick them up a chocolate chip star for cheap every couple weeks. I will be doing this in my 3g

Back
Top Bottom