Substrate help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dinnerflexor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've spent 2+ mo. getting a 10gal. tank planted and healthy. Once done, I noticed a crack so I'm upgrading to a 25 gal. tank (Aquenon 25 kit-24"L x 13"W x 21"H)
What kind of substrate should I use for a planted low-med light freshwater tank with no CO2? I've been reading a lot about layering (Walstad method) yet I am a beginner and have read I should have more experience. I also have an uncontrollable temptation to move plants and/or add new ones and was worried about kicking up the soil. I would also like some driftwood or other hardscape.
Sand or Gravel? Flourite or soil? Layered or all one substrate? :confused:

I've spent 2+ mo. getting a 10gal. tank planted and healthy. Once done, I noticed a crack so I'm upgrading to a 25 gal. tank (Aquenon 25 kit-24"L x 13"W x 21"H)
What kind of substrate should I use for a planted low-med light freshwater tank with no CO2? I've been reading a lot about layering (Walstad method) yet I am a beginner and have read I should have more experience. I also have an uncontrollable temptation to move plants and/or add new ones and was worried about kicking up the soil. I would also like some driftwood or other hardscape.
Sand or Gravel? Flourite or soil? Layered or all one substrate? :confused:

Some use an organic soil and cap with sand. When it comes to sand you can either use pool filter sand or play sand. Some people (me included) use only sand. I preferably like sand more than gravel, but that's just me. It all depends on how much your willing to spend, you can also use fluorite or Ecocomplete.

What are some of the benefits and drawbacks to using soil and sand or soil and gravel or just one substrate? Which is the best for a beginner to use? Is layering difficult to maintain? If I do layer soil and a top cover, is adding and moving plants going to be difficult or hazardous to my tank? Can I put rocks and driftwood on top of a layered tank?

I'd just go Eco Complete. It's an attractive substrate, doesn't disintegrate and cause a mess, plants root very well in it, and it has a high CEC (Cation Exchange Capacity) -- which is basically an ability to absorb nutrients and time release it to the plants.

Floramax is very similar to Eco Complete and is another alternative.

I agree with using Eco Complete especially since you move plants alot. Dirted tanks are great but not good for beginners or those who like to move plants alot.

Back
Top Bottom