Tank questions & showing off :).

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here ia a decent list thats a dang fine start if you can locate all of them

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56042

Just remember, the more plants you have the more nutrients you will need so some ferts (fertilizers) are in order if you go crazy with this list

Well if I stock it with a bunch of community fish will they help fertilize it? & I'll buy some ferts if needed. I'm thinking about doing a calm peaceful planted tank with a large amount of community fish in it.

Well if I stock it with a bunch of community fish will they help fertilize it? & I'll buy some ferts if needed. I'm thinking about doing a calm peaceful planted tank with a large amount of community fish in it.

Yes they fertalize it but the more plants you have the more ferts that may be needed. Id do about 20 neon tetras and you could do some female mollys or just 46 neons! That would be an awesome sight!

Yes they fertalize it but the more plants you have the more ferts that may be needed. Id do about 20 neon tetras and you could do some female mollys or just 46 neons! That would be an awesome sight!

I was thinking maybe doing that, or getting like two angelfish. Ugh, I just can't make up my mind. I kind of like angel fish. I like discus fish but my 46 is to small :/. Lol.

I want to go crazy with plants so I'm sure I'll have to buy some ferts regardless. I think even if I ended up going with 46 neons lol.

I was thinking maybe doing that, or getting like two angelfish. Ugh, I just can't make up my mind. I kind of like angel fish. I like discus fish but my 46 is to small :/. Lol.

I want to go crazy with plants so I'm sure I'll have to buy some ferts regardless. I think even if I ended up going with 46 neons lol.

Yes ferts may be a need for what I think you have in mind. Also possibly a new light. That spectrum is good for low light but you may end up needing the upgrade. See there are soo many variables to look at when doing a planted tank if you want it to thrive

I've always wanted to do a large tank with a million neons!

Yes ferts may be a need for what I think you have in mind. Also possibly a new light. That spectrum is good for low light but you may end up needing the upgrade. See there are soo many variables to look at when doing a planted tank if you want it to thrive

Can I maybe just replace the bulbs? That light is pretty bright in that tank though. If not, maybe i won't get as many plants so they won't be competing for light.

But would two angels work in a 46? I know they get fairly big. & is it an inch rule on neons in any tank?

Can I maybe just replace the bulbs? That light is pretty bright in that tank though. If not, maybe i won't get as many plants so they won't be competing for light.

But would two angels work in a 46? I know they get fairly big. & is it an inch rule on neons in any tank?

I would think a pair of angels would work in a 46. What are the dimensions

Yes, a pair of angels will definitely work

I think I might do that then. I'll throw that bag of Eco complete in there, probably buy another bag or two of it as well. 40 pounds or 60 pounds of substrate?

I'll get two angelfish. Any other compatible fish? Any plecos I could put in here? I've always wanted to order fish off aquabid before. Nows my chance to get a crazy pleco lol. & maybe some big snails?

If you just want 2 males you have a lot od options but if you want a breeding pair they will take over more than 1/2 of the tank when breeding. When mine have eggs they take over the right 30" or so of the 55 and leave the other fish huddling in the left 18".

If you just want 2 males you have a lot od options but if you want a breeding pair they will take over more than 1/2 of the tank when breeding. When mine have eggs they take over the right 30" or so of the 55 and leave the other fish huddling in the left 18".

Hmm, if I have a breeding pair then maybe I'd just keep them only? Maybe some bigger snails? Would they work? That sounds fine with me. You know much about angelfish? I'm googling them trying to find a pretty species lol.

I'd have to google how to raise the fry & figure out what to do with them though.

Hmm, if I have a breeding pair then maybe I'd just keep them only? Maybe some bigger snails? Would they work? That sounds fine with me. You know much about angelfish? I'm googling them trying to find a pretty species lol.

I'd have to google how to raise the fry & figure out what to do with them though.

The angels will care for them for the most part. Look on aqua bid for some very nice angels

The angels will care for them for the most part. Look on aqua bid for some very nice angels

Okay nice! Yeah I checked them out, they sell them in like groups of 5 or more mostly. I only need two -.- lol. I might check at the LFS & see what they have.
& do you think I need 40 or 60 pounds of that Eco complete?

Okay nice! Yeah I checked them out, they sell them in like groups of 5 or more mostly. I only need two -.- lol. I might check at the LFS & see what they have.
& do you think I need 40 or 60 pounds of that Eco complete?

For a 46 id go with atleast 2 to 3 inches for plants. 50lbs gave my 36 2 inches so is go with yeah 60 to 75 lbs possibly more. You can do eco as a bottom layer and then do pfs as a top layer

Please note that if you get a breeding pair, you'll have to get 3 grow outs. Usually the 3rd grow out is a big tank (like 75 gallons).

I'd stick with-
2 male angels or female angels
10 rummynose tetras
8 cories (anything other then emeralds)
2 apistogramma panduro

For a 46 id go with atleast 2 to 3 inches for plants. 50lbs gave my 36 2 inches so is go with yeah 60 to 75 lbs possibly more. You can do eco as a bottom layer and then do pfs as a top layer

I'll get 60 pounds of it, see how that works. If I need more, I'll just add a little bit of play sand mixed into it all.

So I don't need any co2 or any kind right? That makes things so much easier lol.

Back
Top Bottom