Teen aquarists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome! Bettas are very hit-and-miss in community tanks. Even if you have room for more fish, the betta still could not get along with its tankmates. In a 10g with a betta you could do some pygmy or panda corys, and possibly some otos. You could POSSIBLY have 5-6 very small fish such as chili rasbora as well. Just be SURE to have a backup plan if things go wrong. Whenever I try bettas in communities I have an empty 2.5-5g laying around to put it in if he doesn't like his tankmates.

That's what I would do. And try putting the smaller fish into the tank before the beta. If you put the beta in before the other fish, it may claim territory and that would not be good for the tetras.

That's what I would do. And try putting the smaller fish into the tank before the beta. If you put the beta in before the other fish, it may claim territory and that would not be good for the tetras.

Or the other small fish you put in there lol

Thank you so much for the help everyone!!

I think neon tetras, guppys, or maybe minnows if you want a small fish. Just my opinion based suggestions (Careful with guppys though as they are not as hardy as other fish.)

I was going to put my betta in it, but I also wanted to get some other fish to put in the tank, but I'm very unsure about doing that with the size of the tank and a betta in there also. What do you think?

I usual put fish in with my bettas as well:). Just too tempting not to! I've done: embers, least killies, pygmy corydoras, peppered cories (temporarily while my 55g was cycling), chili rasboras, and I'm going to do endlers soon. I also have a VERY chill (besides with shrimp...) betta in my 55g with an array of other fish. I've also had hits and misses with RCS as well. It totally depends on the betta's personality with what you can put with it. Also, I'd look into harlequin rasboras (haven't had them but LOVE the way they look).

So I've noticed an influx of bad aquarium information being shared through youtube. I'm thinking of making a few videos to try to set the record straight as much as possible. Good idea or bad? I'm aware that there will still be lots of people who are very uninformed, but I'd just try to do as much as possible. Thoughts?

Go for it. I think everybody who knows their stuff should make a video lol. Unfortunately only the ten year olds who just bought a 1 gal tank for their goldfish are inspired to make YouTube videos.

Go for it. I think everybody who knows their stuff should make a video lol. Unfortunately only the ten year olds who just bought a 1 gal tank for their goldfish are inspired to make YouTube videos.

Actually, there's a variety of good people who share excellent info. Newyorksteelo is one of my faves but he does SW. There are others for fresh but I don't remember their names.

Actually, there's a variety of good people who share excellent info. Newyorksteelo is one of my faves but he does SW. There are others for fresh but I don't remember their names.

There are some good ones - the issue is that there are some equally bad ones too, getting thousands of views :hide: The example I'm thinking of currently was actually from a guy who runs a plant business. I won't post it since he's a member on here (not on this thread, just on the forum) but still - I just want to do what I can I guess. He has 700+ subscribers, and yet his videos are some of the worst I have ever seen.

There are some good ones - the issue is that there are some equally bad ones too, getting thousands of views :hide: The example I'm thinking of currently was actually from a guy who runs a plant business. I won't post it since he's a member on here (not on this thread, just on the forum) but still - I just want to do what I can I guess. He has 700+ subscribers, and yet his videos are some of the worst I have ever seen.

What does he say that is bad info for other aquariumists?

What does he say that is bad info for other aquariumists?

It was mainly about how to clear up cloudy water....he only talked about bacterial blooms (even though there are more cloudy water types than that) and he said that you need to do water changes and get a water hardness regulator. The bacteria causing blooms reproduce in 20 minutes and are virtually unaffected by water hardness, so both of those methods do not help at all. I'm going to try to make a video now :)

It was mainly about how to clear up cloudy water....he only talked about bacterial blooms (even though there are more cloudy water types than that) and he said that you need to do water changes and get a water hardness regulator. The bacteria causing blooms reproduce in 20 minutes and are virtually unaffected by water hardness, so both of those methods do not help at all. I'm going to try to make a video now :)

Good luck!

I was going to put my betta in it, but I also wanted to get some other fish to put in the tank, but I'm very unsure about doing that with the size of the tank and a betta in there also. What do you think?

I grew some neon tetras out in a 5.5 gal with a betta for a couple weeks. They were fine. It really depends on the Betta :)

The video is 50% done uploading.....I am very awkward in it, I had a mental script going but clammed up with the camera on. Oh well lol. I did write an article on bacterial blooms a while back, but the forum it was on closed down and the hard drive on my school computer got wiped unexpectedly. So, I just went from memory :)

The video is 50% done uploading.....I am very awkward in it, I had a mental script going but clammed up with the camera on. Oh well lol. I did write an article on bacterial blooms a while back, but the forum it was on closed down and the hard drive on my school computer got wiped unexpectedly. So, I just went from memory :)

Can you put up the link or give the video name and your username? I bet ya ill be even worse on a video lol. Im not much of a public speaker. :lol:

Dustinsfishtanks is my favorite so far. Therick2235 is pretty good too, just a bit hard to understand him. But there are some people i just wonder what the heck there doing. Like one time I saw a little 9 year old putting 3 discus, 5 mollies, 3 platys, and a rainbow shark in a 10 gallon!!!!!! :eek:

Dustinsfishtanks is my favorite so far. Therick2235 is pretty good too, just a bit hard to understand him. But there are some people i just wonder what the heck there doing. Like one time I saw a little 9 year old putting 3 discus, 5 mollies, 3 platys, and a rainbow shark in a 10 gallon!!!!!! :eek:

I'm sorry, but where did she get the money for discus? I have always loved them, but around here even to get a small one it's like $40-50! Why would you waste that? That's like $120-150, I could have some REALLY nice lighting for my SW with that...;)

Back
Top Bottom