Tetra with white spot on nose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisinmontreal

Aquarium Advice Regular
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

Two rummynose and one maybe two silver tip tetra from a total population of six of each are showing some kind of small white spot on their nose. I first noticed it on one rummy yesterday and then on the others today but it is not as noticeable as on the original rummy. It literally looks like he has a white tip to his nose directly above his mouth. The white spot doesn't look stringy and is fairly uniform in shape. Fish are not showing any signs of ill health and are feeding and active as normal. I thought at first the rummy had maybe scraped his nose feeding until i saw the others today showing some signs of maybe the same thing. Second picture shows the worst one in the top left of the four.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

Ammo - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20
Temp - 25C (77F)
pH - 6.8

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

Tank is 29 gallons, been setup since beginning of August.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

Eheim classic 2217 (260gph)

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

6 rummynose tetra range between maybe 1 to 1 1/4 inches
6 silver tip tetra similar size to rummy's
2 bolivian ram both maybe 1 3/4 to 2 inches
5 amano shrimp

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

50% PWC once a week - i'm dosing ferts following standard EI for my tank size for the last three weeks. Partial vacuum of gravel at same time.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

Fish added end of August after fishless cycle.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

Added a powerhead to drive an external co2 reactor weekend before last

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

Food consists mainly of a few flakes and small cichlid pellets, occasional blood worms maybe every couple of weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_7016.JPG
    IMG_7016.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_7018.JPG
    IMG_7018.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 314
Does it look cottony? Cotton-mouth is the first thing that came to mind, but I've never seen it in person so it's hard for me to tell.

yes that was my thought too but likewise have never seen it to know and couldn't quite find any images on google which looked the same. It doesn't look stringy but it does look like it is a growth rather than discoloration.

Back
Top Bottom