The 'Fish Cave'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mfdrookie516 said:
The progress on the 150 (with the 'sun' that was above the 125 at the old place... kind of a signature I guess):

And some shots of the room... please excuse the mess (we're moving, what can I say?):

So, I'm down to 4 tanks to set up. The 125 is empty at my old house right now. I've pulled something in my back and was barely able to walk today, much less pack a 125 around. That'll come soon though. My 10g fry tank will probably be moved over tomorrow. Then, I have to build a stand for my 40 breeder and 20 long. I'm not sure yet whether i'm going to build one to hold the 40 and the 20, or build one for the 40 and one for the 20 with some 10's above it. I guess we'll see what happens. Anyways, it's coming along nicely if I do say so myself.

Hope your back gets better soon. I would give you help if I lived closer.

That is looking awesome, Jonathan! I wish I had a room in my house to do this! Sounds like you have a great plan in place and are moving along well. I too remember the days when I was giving you advise about fish. The Master has become the student! Cool to see someone put in the time to not only learn, but to pass on the knowledge to others. You are a good man, take care of yourself and your back. And above all, Keep the pictures coming!

Thanks guys, and Tim, I appreciate that... though I feel like I have only scratched the surface on most of this stuff.

So, I've got a video of the room here. If you look at the end when I show the whole thing, you can see where my other tanks will go. There's a 40 breeder on the ground on the left side of the 150... that will be there, with a 20 long on top of it. Over in the back left corner, there's a shelf with a 10g. That'll be replaced with a stand for 4 10's. On the left wall, left of the 20 long, that's where the 125 will sit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o4T8M4UvBo

EDIT: Not sure why it's posting 2 videos... there's only one link here. Must be something on YouTubes side

Last edited:
Let me start of by saying I didn't read every post (7 pages in 4 days?!). I did look at the pictures. :)

Congrats on the house! That was a quick close! Getting my inspection done tomorrow. Exciting!

Have you put any thought into GFI outlets or dehumidifiers? I got some nice (sarcastic) 80s wood paneling in the basement of the house we are buying. I'm not too worried about the moisture since the basement is a good size (24x24) but yours looked smaller.

Just some thoughts! Good luck in the new place, looks like you got a good start already!

Sadly, I haven't measured the actual room, but the basement itself is 800 sq ft. There's also a bathroom, 4 closets, and a good sized utility room, so I lost some space. I think it's probably more like 500 sq ft of actual fish space.

Not thinking of any dehumidifiers, simply because more humidity equals less evap.. and I can shut the basement off from the rest of the house. All my tanks run off GFCI plugs, not outlets. Replacing the standard plugs with GFCI plugs is on my list of things to do... along with plumbing in a utility sink and a few other things. I will wait until everything settles down though, so it may be a while.

Yesterday was moving day. We're finally moved in, got the tv and internet hooked up, and exhuasted ourselves. The 125 is now in here too, but I couldn't even guess which of the 200 boxes the camera is in. It may be a bit before picture time. I'm completely open for suggestions on the 125. I've thought about a lot. It won't be planted for now, though I have considered discus and some super low light stuff that a couple shop lights would sustain.

Myself, with that much space, i would make a GIANT community tank. Or a barb tank. My fuure plan for my 40 gallon is to have tiger barbs and zebra danios, they both make thetank more vibrant and colorful. That's just me. Aother idea ive been toying with is a school of black tetras and a lemon tetra school. They look striking together. that's just me again. Do whatever you wanna do...

fort384 said:
I vote discus. Time for a new challenge!

I agree :) I would like to see you have discus. You'd probably learn all the techniques and tricks to have healthy discus. Then I'll learn from you. Get discus!

I would use that 125g for a schoal of geophagus tapajos, they'll get you some size without the aggression.

I forgot you had mentioned this. I am definitely going to look in to these guys and see what I can find.

I vote discus. Time for a new challenge!

This is a good possibility, though I've about had it with south americans. I can't keep them to save my life. Maybe I would have better luck with some bred local since our water here is pretty hard.

Picture time.

First and foremost... the EMPTY 125:
img_1446143_0_88d2fde675e2d0bcb4accbff9760b5fd.jpg

Now for the fish/plants-

The 40 breeder that's simply set up to hold plants until I figure out what Im going to do:

img_1446143_1_03baed5aafd6719a9f763b5222057143.jpg

img_1446143_2_f0e2e75fa07a82427cb9fae87bd41823.jpg

The 20l with the tetras from the old 40b... and a big bunch of java moss that has tripled in size:

img_1446143_3_e90c4757bdac4f6b6eac90dc9624bca6.jpg

The 40b with the plant eaters from the 125:

img_1446143_4_8c9589e8d1a45e433b7e6719f2005655.jpg

The 10g that has been neglected with no light, hence the melted blyxa:
img_1446143_5_ea1286fd3ca1e8e4f25fde63f7e533d1.jpg

Just for the record, I'll be removing the glass tops from the 150 soon... I just have them on since I haven't had a chance to hang my lights yet. they're annoying to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom