The 'Fish Cave'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Nick. I hope to try my hand at rainbow breeding in the near future... the plans of building a rack this weekend to hold some 10's should help.

Thanks for the kind words Rich.

As for the fish cave... nothing has changed really. But, it's about to. I just got back from Home Depot with two Brute trash cans and a pile of 2x4's. I'm going to build a stand for the trash cans, then get them filled up and run bubblers on them for now until I can get some powerheads. Eventually, I'll plumb them in to a pump, but for now, I'm going to have to figure out how to get water from point a to point b since I cant mount them high enough to siphon it out. I'm also going to set up a rack for 10's this weekend hopefully... in addition to the stand(s) for the 40b and 20l.

mfdrookie516 said:
Thanks for the kind words Rich.

As for the fish cave... nothing has changed really. But, it's about to. I just got back from Home Depot with two Brute trash cans and a pile of 2x4's. I'm going to build a stand for the trash cans, then get them filled up and run bubblers on them for now until I can get some powerheads. Eventually, I'll plumb them in to a pump, but for now, I'm going to have to figure out how to get water from point a to point b since I cant mount them high enough to siphon it out. I'm also going to set up a rack for 10's this weekend hopefully... in addition to the stand(s) for the 40b and 20l.

I have an idea for you. West Marine, a boat supply store, has hand operated bilge pumps. Cheap ones called "Thirsty Mate". Those things move some water. I saved my boat from sinking once with those. Just a quick idea for you.

I was thinking one of those sump pumps that you hook a water hose to and just sit down on the bottom. I've not had a chance to look yet. Using a hand pump for water changes on my 10's wouldn't be too bad... but that would suck on my 125 and 150!

mfdrookie516 said:
I was thinking one of those sump pumps that you hook a water hose to and just sit down on the bottom. I've not had a chance to look yet. Using a hand pump for water changes on my 10's wouldn't be too bad... but that would suck on my 125 and 150!

Not really those things dewatered a 7 meter RHIB. They come in various capacities.

I'm a little lazy to read all the post, is there no water source down there? If not that would be my first priority.

I am going to plumb in a utility sink, but for now, there's just a bathroom sink. What I am doing is putting these two brute trash cans in to both age the water, and let it get up to temp... saves me from running it through the hot water heater, gives it a chance to dechlorinate, and will allow me to mess with it if I ever decide to try and breed some apistos that just wont breed above 7.0 (im at 7.8). That's down the road though. My inspiration was from a sw mixing station I saw online.

My neighbor does something similar with rain water, very cool and I look forward to how it works out. I'm not allowed to have any other containers that hold water anymore, momma's put her foot down.

Here's the idea at least. I had to stop because I'm watching my little boy and he is way too wild to sit and watch dad work... and he's too young to help. Here's the frame. I've not figured out how long the legs will be just yet, but they'll be as tall as they can so that I can still get in the top of the trash cans. I'm guessing somewhere around 4' tall. That should help with getting water out of there as well. It's not pretty, and it isn't exactly how it was supposed to be, but I think it's plenty sturdy.

img_1451229_0_c48c8248b2e4cf4855c442bbf7eb4968.jpg

img_1451229_1_5baeeb245bb1f0d6a7873618aae7b78b.jpg

Woot! Great job! I would struggle with even the most simple construction project so I think it looks great! :D

:D First it was tank envy, which I got bad after seeing the 220g Mbuna tank. Then of course the 3 tier waterfall tank was stunning.
Now I have spare room envy. I would just love to have a room dedicated to fish. Shelves with 3 tanks each in row after row and along the walls.
It be like I died and went to heaven and God said yes you can have all the fish you want.
I hope you find the time to spend in your "Fish Cave" just enjoying it and not always working in it. :band:

I'd say just add another 5g bucket under it and call it a day. ;)

Sure you aren't secretly planning a SW tank?

Slowly making progress... Got the brute stand finished today, picked up a cheap 800gph pond pump to get water from the cans to the tank(s). Also picked up a few more 10's and built a stand for them. Now, all I have left to do is a stand for the 40b and 20l. And, I'm sure I'll find something else to do.

Pictures. Sorry for the mess. This is being used temporarily as a sorting area for clothes to be taken over to goodwill. I just didn't feel like moving them around. I'm also not the best carpenter in the world, so, be gentle with your criticism please :)

img_1452876_0_05bd7055dac0630515f709b55d677f46.jpg

And the 10's:

img_1452876_1_a34e36f372e584e4b2436f5d8641d802.jpg

img_1452876_2_7e42ced96f311c2509b986826620bf78.jpg

Great job Jonathan! I like the stand. What are you planning to do with the 10Gs?

Not sure yet. One of them will house my remaining 5 apisto fry. I'm going to use them for a mix of things I'm sure. QT/Fry/Breeding/Etc. So many ideas... I just haven't refined them yet.

Back
Top Bottom