The Forty Gallon Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a very nice GBR!!

They sell small ones for $5.99 at my lfs and they have medium and full grown too, so I guess I'm lucky.

How much are yours gboy?

Jeez.. Bought a ram for 10 once! Died the next day.. Friend bought an electric ram for 20..died after 2 days haha

That's a very nice GBR!!

They sell small ones for $5.99 at my lfs and they have medium and full grown too, so I guess I'm lucky.

How much are yours gboy?

OMG, where is that store? i finally found a store that sells GBRs, but its 15 just for 1, and id like to purchase a pair... Its called Uncle Ned's Fish Factory. any reputation?

mr.waffles1842 said:
OMG, where is that store? i finally found a store that sells GBRs, but its 15 just for 1, and id like to purchase a pair... Its called Uncle Ned's Fish Factory. any reputation?

Whoa your guys stores are super inflated, I got mine at the LFS like two years ago for 3.99 :)

Update! :)

Well I found an LFS today that sells tank-raised rummies. I got seven but they gave me nine, two for free (I guess people like giving me stuff for free or something). I'm currently going home to acclimate them and stuff. I'm moving fish to make space for them next week or mañana. Hopefully this batch doesn't die! :)

Haha ya what do you do??? Turn on the charm? Hahahahh and nice!! I hope this batch is better

Gboy66 said:
Haha ya what do you do??? Turn on the charm? Hahahahh and nice!! I hope this batch is better

Haha IDK I guess they like me because I get what they say or something and am not looking at them like "What are you talking about?" :)

Well so far so good, they've all calmed down so it's smooth sailing home :)

Well I observed them again and four are missing fins and have ich. I'll be returning them tomorrow.

I was also considering a sump...anyone know how to do a DIY one? What supplies would you suggest to build one? I have a spare five gallon tank currently out of use and I'm not planning on any new fish so...

I would have no idea how to run all those pipes, so I have no idea how you would make a sump. you could check YouTube out.

Update! :)

These rummies are giving me a hard time. About five out of seven of the ones I could find have ich. The temperature is up as high as it can go. I don't know if I should add salt, but it's kitchen salt not aquarium. I'm doing a water change today but still...salt or no salt? Can't buy that aquarium salt unfortunately, already got my weekly visit to the fish store.

use kosher salt if you have it. Thats basically what aquarium salt is. Do NOT put in kitchen salt. It may have chemicals used to make it taste better wih food. If you're REALLY desperate, add 1 teaspoon of sea salt, if you have it. Not the stuff for SW, but the kitchen variety. JMO.

according to him, its fine. But, if i recall correctly, you have aquarum plants, not to mention corys. he says that sea salt can be a lot more dangerous to them then Aquarium salt, if in large amounts. but half a teaspoon to 1 teaspoon should be alright. If it doesnt work, and kills any of your fish, then it'll be my fault. its your call, but IME, it works.

How is the ich? This situation is why I suggested that you ditch the ich completely before adding more fish. Remember, ich is a parasite and it has a lifecycle where is exists in different forms. Just because you do not see it on a fish for a day does not mean it is gone. Unfortunately, you are going to have to treat your tank like a quarantine tank. Keep treating for the ich and do not add anything else until you see no signs of ich for like 3 weeks (once ou are done treating).
Sorry you are having such a hard time with this. Ich can be a serious pain to get rid of once it is established in your tank. Do you have a way of removing your plants/corys?
On the positive side, its good that you found a store with tank-raised rummies.

Back
Top Bottom