The Forty Gallon Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great looking fish Bruins!

Personally, I prefer to go with the more vibrantly colored platys. I have a sunburst wag female, and also a very interestingly colored yellow female. She has a large black spot running down her body yet the edges are rimmed with blue like the color of your betta.

Brown and white platys are IMO a bad representation of the species' diversity. I would get something colorful and vibrant, planted tanks and dark substrate really make them a rival for the position of centerpiece, even if there are fish such as rams and bettas in the tank.

Just my uh... How many? 2 cents :)

QP

Nice fish! That's one fat female betta, lol.

Haha she is actually the fattest out of the three and my favorite. Shame to see her go.

That ram has CRAZY colors!!!!

Actually that's just the camera ;) When the lights are on, she doesn't show those colors at all. It's only when the lights are off.

That's a pretty awesome Betta!

Thanks!

Nice fish! Were those taken with your iPhone?

With my really awesome camera (y) I sorta broke my iPhone, so it's out of commission.

Great looking fish Bruins!

Personally, I prefer to go with the more vibrantly colored platys. I have a sunburst wag female, and also a very interestingly colored yellow female. She has a large black spot running down her body yet the edges are rimmed with blue like the color of your betta.

Brown and white platys are IMO a bad representation of the species' diversity. I would get something colorful and vibrant, planted tanks and dark substrate really make them a rival for the position of centerpiece, even if there are fish such as rams and bettas in the tank.

Just my uh... How many? 2 cents :)

QP

Hmm. Well I don't really like red and yellow color-dominant fish, sorry. I prefer the brown, blue, yellow, black or grey dominant colored fish. Sawwy :flowers:

Okay, so I was peeking around at the LFS again today and I saw some interesting things, like for example:
-jumbo cardinal tetras (definitely getting those)
-jumbo rummies (almost makes me like them, but I am not risking my neck for them ever again)
-pencilfish
-cool shrimp
-weird bottom feeder catfish that were not cories or plecos....synos? Can those be kept in schools?

Instead of platies, how bout pencilfish?????

Sorry, but no rummies, even if they are the size of my index finger.

AGHHHHH! I think the peacock eels are awesome looking! NOT GROSS! But, fine. To each their own. Lol.

Wow, I am gone for like 12 hours and the stock has changed like 3 times. Oh well, more money for me!

I honestly think that all of the stock option you listed are probably fine. I have kept/keep mollies, platies and guppies and I totally love all of them. They are fun and personable IME even if they are on the common side. Still, its hard to beat the amazing colors platies and swords come in. :)

Just a note, you should identify which type of pencilfish it is that the store carries. There are actually tons of different kinds and they rather different behaviors, so you should figure out which one it is before deciding wether you want it or not. Many of them are wild caught and can tend to be pretty sensitive, so make sure the stock looks really good if you do decide to go with them. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I do think Beckford's pencilfish would be great for your tank. Just a note, from I know of pencilfish, they are not always the tightest schoolers, but they should school. Beckford's is one of the more commonly available species, but I still suggest you ask if they were wild-caught or tank bred. The tank-bred ones should adjust to your tank better (but not necessarily, as the tank-bred rummies proved).

Okay, so....change-up?
X2 Pearl Gouramis
X1 GBR
X10 Harlequin/Espei Rasboras
X10 Cardinal Tetras
X10 Bronze Cories
X4 Otos
X3 Beckerford's Pencilfish? (how many do I need?)
X2 Platies? (maybe some cool-looking Guppies instead? Endlers?)

I've got everything down but those last two...

bruinsbro1997 said:
Okay, so....change-up?
X2 Pearl Gouramis
X1 GBR
X10 Cardinal Tetras
X10 Bronze Cories
X4 Otos
X3 Beckerford's Pencilfish? (how many do I need?)
X2 Platies? (maybe some cool-looking Guppies instead? Endlers?)

I've got everything down but those last two...

Oh, BTW...

I like it!! The pencils are pretty cool...

Lol!!!

;<D

Also...can anyone help me with this pressurized CO2? I'm not sure if I understand it. Do you just put a tube of it into the tank, let the CO2 go, it goes in the tank, and the plants grow?

bruinsbro1997 said:
;<D

Also...can anyone help me with this pressurized CO2? I'm not sure if I understand it. Do you just put a tube of it into the tank, let the CO2 go, it goes in the tank, and the plants grow?

I think on the co2 tank, you have a regulator(I think that's what it's called) and then you run a tube from the regulator to the diffuser which attaches to the glass inside the tank.

And your plants magically flourish!!

Aqua Chem is like an expert on co2, I'm sure he'll be able to tell you what all of the little doo dads do.

Usually with pressurized CO2 you want a diffusion method a little more advanced than that :cool: There are several different ways to go about diffusing CO2.

In-tank diffusers are a standby, and come in many different flavors and types. They are usually the cheapest option. You're biggest problem will be figuring out which one you want.

Pros: Many different types, medium diffusion efficiency, cheap
Cons: Clutter in the tank offputs some people, not generally the best efficiency, aesthetically displeasing in some cases.

I personally use a GLA Atomic diffuser. These come in either inline (hooked up to a canister filter or a closed look) or in tank. They push the CO2 through a very tight material (I think some kind of ceramic) and create extremely small bubbles. These bubbles help diffusion, as the smaller a thing, the higher it's surface-to-mass ratio is. This little droplets will also collect and bead up on plants, sometimes giving them a pearling appearance. It has been stated before that these pure CO2 bubbles on plants actually aid in their uptake, put that could very well be false. The major downside of this is that the little bubbles make your tank look like some sort of carbonated beverage. I kind of like it as it lets me know at a glance where my flow is going and if my CO2 is on, but the look can definitely be off putting. GLA sells many of these, but there are others on the market now.

Pros: Comes Inline, high efficiency, sprite-tank effect, Quality GLA service
Cons: Sprite tank effect, a little more expensive.

Up Co2 Atomizer - Medium.m4v

CO2 reactors are also commonly used. I know Mfdrookie uses one. They are placed inline, and create a kind of turbulence chamber to cause CO2 diffusion. I think they are always DIY (or at least cheapest dont DIY). There are plans out there to make them. They are kind big, however, which is offputting to me.

Pros: Very high efficiency, cheap
Cons: Big, must be made yourself

Looked for a bit, couldn't find any videos. There are lots of pictures out there though.

The last major if seldom used diffusion method is some sort of venturi reactor. The are basically an in tank turbulence chamber. They're really quite cool, but they're bulky and can be unsightly. Also all done DIY.

Pros: high efficiency, budget friendly
Cons: Major in-tank clutter.

- YouTube
РеакÑÐ¾Ñ CO2
Co2 reactor II upgrade.

Thank you for all the links Aqua Chem! Appreciate it :)

I found that the LFS sells the first two types of pressurized CO2 that you mentioned. Hoewver I'm not sure if they have the GLA brand. If not, what kind would you recommend?

You LFS sells CO2 products? Jealooooous.....

It's really a personal choice, as people have different opinions and values as far as aesthetics go. What are you interested in?

You LFS sells CO2 products? Jealooooous.....

It's really a personal choice, as people have different opinions and values as far as aesthetics go. What are you interested in?

Hahaha they have everything there, except sand for some reason :blink:

I was kinda interested in a very heavily planted tank that might be enough to get rid of this hair algae (this constant battle I'm losing is getting annoying, taking out hair algae constantly w/o trying not to wreck the plants). Also something to grow this glosso that has been struggling in my tank (shoulda researched before I bought it, if it doesn't make it, what carpet would you suggest?). Also would like to have enough CO2 to grow the plants you posted in the previous pics (the red, thin-leafed plants :)) Oh and to have enough CO2 to make the red plants actually red :)

Hope that's not too much to ask for :hide:

I actually ment what co2 diffuser you were interested in.

I hate my glosso to. We should make an I-hate-glosso club and get matching t-shirts.

I may be wrong, but I belive the Beckford's pencil should be in a school of at least 6. SOme of the other pencils do well in groups of a male with a few females, but I think Beckford's is more of a traditional schooler. I have not kept them though, thats just what google says. Assuming those fish are at a good lfs, you can always ask an employee what they recommend for that species.

I actually ment what co2 diffuser you were interested in.

I hate my glosso to. We should make an I-hate-glosso club and get matching t-shirts.

Ooh...well, it's kinda hard. I sorta like the first CO2 method because it doesn't make my tank look like an oversized soda bottle and it's cheaper, but on the other hand the I like the second CO2 one you linked because it seems more efficient with CO2 and less messier.

Also, if you run out of CO2, do you just get a new tank of it or something?

If you send me some plants, I'll send you a green "I Love Glosso Haters" tee.

Lol, Thanks for the picture. That totally made me smile.
I may be wrong, but I belive the Beckford's pencil should be in a school of at least 6. SOme of the other pencils do well in groups of a male with a few females, but I think Beckford's is more of a traditional schooler. I have not kept them though, thats just what google says. Assuming those fish are at a good lfs, you can always ask an employee what they recommend for that species.

Aight, so as far as stocking goes:
X2 Pearl Gouramis
X1 GBR
X10 Cardinal Tetras
X4 Otos
X10 Cories
X5 Pencilfish
X1 Platy

Look good? That's all for now.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Aight, so as far as stocking goes:
X2 Pearl Gouramis
X1 GBR
X10 Cardinal Tetras
X4 Otos
X10 Cories
X5 Pencilfish
X1 Platy

Look good? That's all for now.

Hmm.. That seems pretty stocked with the 5 pencils now..id say cut out the platy and boom your good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom