The Maturing Cycle... because people on gere have funny ideas about it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would gladly love to hear some points you thought were incorrect. I wasn't being disrespectful just pointing out that people on this site are not as thorough as they should. Of course sources should be cited but frankly ive read so many its easier to say google it as its all over the place. Heres a good one:

The Life You Don't See In Your Aquarium

I understand that it is easier to say, "Google it." It always is. In this instance, googling it is not enough because of the amount of incorrect info that is out there. You yourself have said that many people call themselves experts and are not as thorough as they should be. Well, one way to be thorough is to cite sources and not just list out information that we should all assume is correct because you have told us that it is. That in itself goes against the very spirit of academic learning.
I wanted to say that quickly, but just so you know, I am reading through your link currently and assembling some points to bring up that I disagree with. I will post them shortly.

Exactly what im pointing out. All you want is to just build alot of space for the bacteria to live. The carbon is really for the plants though the space between the coal is for your bacteria. The dark poreish coal is perfect.

Then what is the advantage of carbon over, say, more filter pads? Also, how is carbon "really for the plants?"

Good then im not alone in thinking it.

But I do have one problem, it was about the carbon filter, that really just takes stuff out of the water, the bio rock stuff and the sponge is where your bacteria is at.

Frequent water changes often mean the difference between life and death for the fish if one is cycling with fish in the tank. I'm not sure what the issue is with recommending water changes during cycling.

Wowowowow no, carbon pads dont put anything into the water, they pull out stuff like nutrients and chlorine, this is why most planted aquariums don't use carbon pads.

Carbon doesn't do anything for plants. It isn't necessary to use unless you're removing meds, etc.

But I do have one problem, it was about the carbon filter, that really just takes stuff out of the water, the bio rock stuff and the sponge is where your bacteria is at.

Bacteria is all over the tank including the rock etc... The purpose of the sponge and filter is to increase the amount of space bacteria can live. Ask your self is there more surface area on a sponge or a flat piece of paper?

If activated charcoal provided a useable form of carbon for plants, I doubt that people would spend so much money on expensive pressurized CO2 setups.

So is anyone here going to provide any academic resource to back up their supposed foolproof knowledge of aquatic microbiology?

Last edited by a moderator:
You were talking about activated carbon in a filter pad. Pressurized CO2 in a planted aquarium is a different topic ENTIRELY.

Sticking a bag of carbon granules in your filter will not do the same thing as pressurized co2 systems.

No but its a cheap way to help it out a little thats why tetra, marine land, and the rest do it. Read your filter boxes.

Frequent water changes often mean the difference between life and death for the fish if one is cycling with fish in the tank. I'm not sure what the issue is with recommending water changes during cycling.

I've gotten an angel and 12 neons through cycle with 2 water changes and a whole bunch of nitrafin cycle in a 45 gallon.

I think you should really just keep an eye on ammonia toxicity levels and use cycle than frequent water changes. Much faster, get fishy's out of the ammonia faster

No but its a cheap way to help it out a little thats why tetra, marine land, and the rest do it. Read your filter boxes.

No. They do it because the charcoal helps clean the water of certain compounds that discolor water or make the water smell. It also removes many medications.

Back
Top Bottom