The Maturing Cycle... because people on gere have funny ideas about it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angel_fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I feel its important to post this because all these so called "experts" dont know whats going on in there tank. I suggest you read all of it not bits and pieces.

First you buy the tank and filter and all the rest. Observe how clean and nice it is... It wont be forever. You put it all together, and get some fish and are shocked awed in how amazing everything looks until...

Step one: The Ammonia Cycle

At the moment you have bacteria that eat chemicals in the water as well as fish pee. The fish pee combined with these bact produce ammonia, which is why the aquarium ammonia levels raise up. But not for long...

Step 2: The Nitrogen Cycle:

Suddenly your scared as the ammonia is gone but nitrat and nitrie have gone up. Now there is a new kid on the block that eats Ammonia but pees nitrogen. The ammonia bacteria has already settled in the filter and gravel/sand, and these guys are going nuts floating around the water on an eating frenzy. Its like a Chinese buffet for them. Then...

Step 3: The Tank is Matured.

A third bacteria comes in that makes everything all better. These bacteria are nitrogen fixation bacteria. They eat nitrate and nitrite and turn it in to oxygen and carbon. Under a microscope the look like little pills that have a tail and swim. They also are the bact that eat excess fish food, poop, and other gunk.

MYTH 1: Bacteria come with filter media and substrate.

No they do not, the filter media is only there to provide a place for the bacteria to colonize. The charcoal in the filter bags not only puts carbon in the water but makes the filter attractive for bacteria to settle in and call home. All bacteria in the tank originate from the water added and the air.

MYTH 2: Constant water changes are needed during the cycle.

Think of the old west. Aside from train robbers and the gold rush, things in the west were pretty rural. The average town was maybe 50-300 people with nothing else around for miles... That is your fish tank in bacteria. Imagine if lincoln went in and bulldozed every town in the west because there were gunslingers everywhere... The west would never have been settled like today. California would still be nothing but back hills and mountaineers. The same goes for your fish tank, if you constantly change the water during this cycle you are not letting the new settlers to move in, which prolongs the whole cycle. Ideally you want to speed up the cycle and make it as inviting as u can for microbs.

MYTH 3: Avoiding maturing cycle.

Can you stop a hurricane? NO!!! its a cycle of nature. The same cycle occurring in your tank began on earth 4.5 billion years ago, this is the very foundation that created and supports all life on planet earth.

MYTH 4: All the fish will die during this cycle.

Some might but not all. It can help ensure none of them die if you add air stones. The gases coming in the tank have a lower mass then the ammonia and nitrogen... This means the harmful stuff gets pushed upwards in the tank and can not diffuse into the fishes gills as easily... Which if you understand any of that, understand atleast that its a good thing. Salt can also help as the salt will try to stay at the bottom of the tank and the ammonia and nitrogen will float to the top. As Ammonia and nitrogen have a lower atomic mass then salt.

MYTH 5: Stress coat helps.

Yes and no. Stress coat only nourishes the bacteria and feeds them. It dosnt add the bacteria at all it just makes it so they are healthy and reproduce faster rather then with out it.

Ideally water changes should be about 30% a week during the maturing cycle. And 10% there after. The cycle can range between a week to 3 months depending on the size of tank and how much space (filter, amount of gravel, etc..) bacteria have to populate. You can make the tank more inviting by adding that coal from the filter bag to the substrate, you can also use substrate from an already cycled tank. Even taking the filter from an older tank and rinsing it out in the new tank is ideal. Yes it will get ichky but it will clear. In nature nothing can live in clear water, actually clear water is a bad sign. Why would that be different in your living room?

The life in a fish tank is not limited to just the fish. Every square micro meter is a living breathing ecosystem. Each bacteria feeds off the other which is why the cycle comes in stages. As the ammonia bacteria populate, soon the ammonia eating bacteria follow. If you dont understand this cycle you have no business giving people advice.

Foot note:
All of the information I provided comes from going to college studying micro biology, chemistry, and biology... Im not taking advice from armatures as I have already studied it in an academic setting. Though this is severly broken down, think of it as a "for dummies" article. Though i realize this site seems loaded with false info from people who dont understand the process, and clashes with many beliefs some readers may have... I expect those people dont explore the option of checking sources... If you fail to believe any part of this. GOOOGLE.

Pretty much none of this is correct. This site already has plenty of articles on cycling that are factually accurate.

All of the information I provided comes from going to college studying micro biology, chemistry, and biology... Im not taking advice from armatures as I have already studied it in an academic setting. Though this is severly broken down, think of it as a "for dummies" article.

With ten years experience under my belt in the hobby and over sixty running aquariums, I would not consider myself an amateur, nor are the authors of those articles I linked. Much of your information above is incorrect, regardless of your educational level.

Many of us have taken those classes in college and some of us like myself have been in the hobby for over 30 years so many of us aren't amatures. It's your right not to take advice but much of your advice in the post as Severum Mama stated is not correct. There are many articles on this site that aren't written by "inexpierenced" hobbiest that contain all the information needed for new hobbiest to understand both fish in and fishless cycling.

With ten years experience under my belt in the hobby and over sixty running aquariums, I would not consider myself an amateur, nor are the authors of those articles I linked. Much of your information above is incorrect, regardless of your educational level.

Just read over first article... Good though the author did not explain why the nitrogen is going up, hence where your peobably thinking im giving faulty info... Looking over second and third now.

Just read over first article... Good though the author did not explain why the nitrogen is going up, hence where your peobably thinking im giving faulty info... Looking over second and third now.

The first article was not supposed to be as in-depth about cycling. It only gave a brief run-through of the process - I believe you will find the next couple articles much more informative.

Finished reading second and third, again none of these explain why the levels go up. Though also good advise, and the aquarium hobby is not an exact science, it dosnt explain the cause of the problem. The point is if understand whats happening in the tank you can better understand how to fix it... Which is why I broke it down here.

The first article was not supposed to be as in-depth about cycling. It only gave a brief run-through of the process - I believe you will find the next couple articles much more informative.

They really weren't that informative. Though cycling the tank i agree with isnt the best thing. Again theres a series of natural occuring activity in microorganisms in the tank of which I just outlined that must be understood for effective fish keeping. Thats why its called "The Maturing Cycle" as it has 3 cycles with it.

Finished reading second and third, again none of these explain why the levels go up. Though also good advise, and the aquarium hobby is not an exact science, it dosnt explain the cause of the problem. The point is if understand whats happening in the tank you can better understand how to fix it... Which is why I broke it down here.

Please read this: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html I believe this article thoroughly explains why the levels do what they do.

All of the information I provided comes from going to college studying micro biology, chemistry, and biology... Im not taking advice from armatures as I have already studied it in an academic setting. Though this is severly broken down, think of it as a "for dummies" article.
If the information you have presented us is directly from academic sources, I would very much like to know what they are, because all the research I have done and all the classes I have taken indicate that much of the information you have presented is incorrect. Not all of it, but I agree that you would do well to research this concept a bit further. Also, articles explaining things are always better when they have proper citations to the reader to follow to the source of the information.
If you would like, I can hash out some individual points with you that I do not agree on so you have some specifics.
You should be cautious about judging other people's experience level, it is very disrespectful. You will actually find that this site has multiple members who have degrees in chemistry, ecology, and biology (myself included) and many others who have years and years of experience in this hobby.

Nitrate is the end product of the nitrification process and is removed through water changes, to put it simply.

No. It's nothing personal, but much of the information you presented is false. It doesn't have anything to do with what you feel was left out of the article.

All of the cycling articles that have been linked explain why all the levels go up. Fish produce ammonia, a type of bacteria feeds on the ammonia and starts to produce nitrite. Other bacteria that feed on nitrite begin to colonize once they have a food source, and they excrete nitrate. We remove nitrate through water changes. Here, I found an adorable illustration of it on another forum.

image-1917606452.jpg

And here's another less cutesy one.

image-2499631509.jpg

Also, carbon in filter media doesn't add carbon to the water or attract bacteria. It absorbs chemicals and odors.

If the information you have presented us is directly from academic sources, I would very much like to know what they are, because all the research I have done and all the classes I have taken indicate that much of the information you have presented is incorrect. Not all of it, but I agree that you would do well to research this concept a bit further. Also, articles explaining things are always better when they have proper citations to the reader to follow to the source of the information.
If you would like, I can hash out some individual points with you that I do not agree on so you have some specifics.
You should be cautious about judging other people's experience level, it is very disrespectful. You will actually find that this site has multiple members who have degrees in chemistry, ecology, and biology (myself included) and many others who have years and years of experience in this hobby.

I would gladly love to hear some points you thought were incorrect. I wasn't being disrespectful just pointing out that people on this site are not as thorough as they should. Of course sources should be cited but frankly ive read so many its easier to say google it as its all over the place. Heres a good one:

http://www.thereeftank.com/blog/bacteria/

All of the cycling articles that have been linked explain why all the levels go up. Fish produce ammonia, a type of bacteria feeds on the ammonia and starts to produce nitrite. Other bacteria that feed on nitrite begin to colonize once they have a food source, and they excrete nitrate. We remove nitrate through water changes. Here, I found an adorable illustration of it on another forum.

And here's another less cutesy one.

Also, carbon in filter media doesn't add carbon to the water or attract bacteria. It absorbs chemicals and odors.

It says it right on the filter box what the coal is for and why its carbon activated.

Thanks for this thread, this is what I have been telling people on the forum, and then 2 seconds later there's some one arguing with me telling them to do lots and lots of water changes.

I would gladly love to hear some points you thought were incorrect. I wasn't being disrespectful just pointing out that people on this site are not as thorough as they should. Of course sources should be cited but frankly ive read so many its easier to say google it as its all over the place. Heres a good one:

The Life You Don't See In Your Aquarium

Just to point out one thing out of several - where in that article does it talk about carbon attracting BB to your filter media? I do know that it is best to have more surface area for BB to populate, that is one plus, but the same effect can be had by just putting in more filter pads instead of carbon or charcoal. This chemical filter media is only used for removing discoloration and smells, it is not meant to be some type of BB magnet.

Just to point out one thing out of several - where in that article does it talk about carbon attracting BB to your filter media? I do know that it is best to have more surface area for BB to populate, that is one plus, but the same effect can be had by just putting in more filter pads instead of carbon or charcoal. This chemical filter media is only used for removing discoloration and smells, it is not meant to be some type of BB magnet.

Exactly what im pointing out. All you want is to just build alot of space for the bacteria to live. The carbon is really for the plants though the space between the coal is for your bacteria. The dark poreish coal is perfect.

Like i said in the article think of the old west, did settlers live in places whare there was no water to drink or food to eat? No the bacteria dont want to live under light and they want as much food as possible. Thats the difference between bodie, ca and los angelas.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom