The Maturing Cycle... because people on gere have funny ideas about it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No but its a cheap way to help it out a little thats why tetra, marine land, and the rest do it. Read your filter boxes.

No. Activated carbon is used for removing meds/contaminants. It does not provide a source of carbon for plant growth.

Exactly what im pointing out. All you want is to just build alot of space for the bacteria to live. The carbon is really for the plants though the space between the coal is for your bacteria. The dark poreish coal is perfect.

Like i said in the article think of the old west, did settlers live in places whare there was no water to drink or food to eat? No the bacteria dont want to live under light and they want as much food as possible. Thats the difference between bodie, ca and los angelas.

Hi. I'm going to poke a hole in your 'old west' analogy. The big difference is that the water changes are for the fishes sake, not for the bacteria. The water changes don't help the bacteria, but it's a necessary sacrifice to keep the fish from experiencing ammonia or nitrite toxicity.

Water changes do slow the cycling process down some, but they keep the fish alive, and that's the main focus during a fish-in cycle.

No. Activated carbon is used for removing meds/contaminants. It does not provide a source of carbon for plant growth.

Whola!!!

The trouble we have here is you guys think im talking about something completely different im not. Im simply telling you the finer details that most people, even experienced, are missing.

The tank has a hundred million chemical processes going on at once. They all come from bacteria. The perfect tank is the tank that caters to micro organisms, not the fish. as they only benefit from microbs.

Whola!!! The trouble we have here is you guys think im talking about something completely different im not. Im simply telling you the finer details that most people, even experienced, are missing.

You expressly stated that the carbon in filter pads helps plants. Is that not what you meant? If we are misunderstanding, please elaborate on this point of the carbon.

No but its a cheap way to help it out a little thats why tetra, marine land, and the rest do it. Read your filter boxes.

...so carbon helps plants.

Whola!!!

The trouble we have here is you guys think im talking about something completely different im not. Im simply telling you the finer details that most people, even experienced, are missing.

The tank has a hundred million chemical processes going on at once. They all come from bacteria.

...and now it doesn't?

Cycle hasn't been shown to help with much of anything. Most "bacteria starters" don't.

Re: activated carbon helping with plant growth as a source of carbon for plants... this isn't a detail I'm missing, this is a claim you made that is not accurate.

Last edited:
...so carbon helps plants.

...and now it doesn't?

Lol carbon yes helps plants... But the point isn't about plants its about maturing the tank... So its more about bacteria. All the coal does is provide extra space for them. The carbon is just a bonus... Its like getting a free sunday at friendlies when you get a kids meal.

Lol carbon yes helps plants... But the point isn't about plants its about maturing the tank... So its more about bacteria. All the coal does is provide extra space for them. The carbon is just a bonus... Its like getting a free sunday at friendlies when you get a kids meal.

Plants really do not benefit from bacteria - they love ammonia, something that the BB that is magically attracted to the carbon is taking away from them.

I think you lost yourself long before anyone in here.

Carbon =/= CO2 - different effects, different uses, different discussion. Stop trying to blur lines to give yourself the upper hand. It's ok to admit you don't understand, but no need to go around spreading lies ;)

Where did i loose you. In your own words carbon helps the plants and helps clear the water right?
The carbon that is in the filter helps clear the water. It is stable in water though, it doesn't magically dissolve and form CO2 or any other form of carbon useable to plants. No one here but you is trying to say that the activated carbon /charcoal in the filter does anything for plants.

Where did i loose you. In your own words carbon helps the plants and helps clear the water right?

No. I have said several times that activated carbon does not provide a source of carbon for plant growth, and that CO2 in the planted aquarium is a completely different topic.

Activated carbon helps clear the water, remove meds/contaminants if needed, and can help in the case of smelly water.

Plants really do not benefit from bacteria - they love ammonia, something that the BB that is magically attracted to the carbon is taking away from them.

Plants dont benefit from bacteria is like saying fish don't benefit from food. Watch "Dirt the movie" its on netflix... There is little diffrence between land plants and aquatic plants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps you missed middle school chemistry... NH3 is the chemical formula for ammonia, meaning one nitrogen atom and three hydrogen atoms. I'm not even going to attempt to sort out the rest of the clutter, as 90% of it sounds like a kindergarteners attempt at explaining how to keep goldfish in a bowl forever. It would appear to me that you're severely overpaying for your college tuition.

The carbon that is in the filter helps clear the water. It is stable in water though, it doesn't magically dissolve and form CO2 or any other form of carbon useable to plants. No one here but you is trying to say that the activated carbon /charcoal in the filter does anything for plants.

Your right it does not disolve... It creates a covalent bond with oxygen in the water this creating... Drumroll... CO2

Back
Top Bottom