The mighty checklist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SoveriegnR

Aquarium Advice Regular
So as you'll soon discover, I'm one for pre-planning things a lot. I like to have a solid list of everything I need before jumping into any animal care (like people should of course). So I've made myself a list on Amazon, where I plan to buy all my fishy supplies. Almost every item ranges between 5-20$ cheaper than stores @_@ and I pay for Prime so yay 2-day shipping.

Anywho, most of it is my Fish first aid kit. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Let me know if there's something else you guys use that I don't list, but for the most part everything is API or Seachem.

This is for a 20G long

Fishy first aid:
API PIMAFIX Antifungal
API SUPER ICK CURE
API Fungus Cure
API Powder General Cure
API STRESS COAT
API AQUARIUM SALT
API MELAFIX

Seachem Kanaplex
Seachem ParaGuard
Seachem Focus
Seachem Garlic Guard
SEACHEM METROPLEX

Epsom Salt

The other mechanical dohikies I have on the list:
API Leaf Zone
API CO2 Booster
Aquascape Tools (scissores, two different forms of tongs)
Eco Complete Planted Black Aquarium Substrate (x3, my local fish store had awesome red sierra rocks that will look amazing on a dark substrate. I tried sand in the past, but too much of it just got sucked up my syphon, and it was SOOO heavy, so I'm going gravel this time to see how it goes)

Finnex Planted+ 24/7 30"
Repashy Morning Wood (for my pleco)
Repashy Community Plus (for everyone else, both gels will be mixed with frozen foods)
Zoo Med AquaSun Aquarium Timer (for the light since I work night shifts and don't wake up till late in the day)
Syphon & bucket of mighty doom
API Freshwater Master Test Kit (duuuh)
Zacro LCD Digital Aquarium Thermometer
Aqueon 100W Pro Heater (I believe this will be strong enough for the tank)
Marineland Penguin Power Filter 200GPH (not sure if I should go larger? They largest amazon has is the one that does 350 GPH)
Marineland Cartridge Refills (even though i won't need them for a long while, better to have them and I can get a 6pack for 6$ LOL)

If you guys have anything else you think I should add to the list let me know please :D!

Next, my fish stock. My local store will actually order me fish with their orders and the owner said they can get pretty much anything.

BOTTOM FISH:
Nanus Cory Cat (Corydoras nanus) OR False Julii Cory Cat (Corydoras sp.) It just depends on if they can get me the Nanus' or not. False Julii's are my 2nd choice. Either way, both will be bought in a group of 6.

Bushy Nose Plecostomus (Ancistrus sp.) Just 1. I had one in my last tank and I loved the little guy so much.

SCHOOL FISH:
Praecox Rainbow (Melanotaenia praecox)
x6

and

Rummynose Tetra (Hemigrammus bleheri)
x6

FOCAL FISH:
Betta - Female (Betta splendens) I love bettas so much and I think the females are so underrated. My previous betta had so much personality so I will definitely be getting another.

My last 20g long had the same # of stock and almost the same fish and I never had any water issues, and all my fish were bright and active, so I'm not concered with overstocking, since I plan to go the pure ammonia cycling process to build nice strong bacteria :D My last tank had x6 cories (i think false julii's, 1 bristlenose pleco, x6 neon tetras, x6 harlequin rasboras, and a female betta. So same # of fish, but just slightly different. I know the rainbows and the rummy's get a tad larger than the previous stock I had, but I've read it shouldn't be an issue.

Anywho, most of it is my Fish first aid kit. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Let me know if there's something else you guys use that I don't list, but for the most part everything is API or Seachem.

This is for a 20G long

Fishy first aid:
API PIMAFIX Antifungal
API SUPER ICK CURE
API Fungus Cure
API Powder General Cure
API STRESS COAT
API AQUARIUM SALT
API MELAFIX

Seachem Kanaplex
Seachem ParaGuard
Seachem Focus
Seachem Garlic Guard
SEACHEM METROPLEX

Epsom Salt
OK, never hurts to have aquarium salt, epsom salt and melafix on hand if you need it but I think you would be wasting a lot of money to have most of the rest of that stuff always available unless you live in a remote area without access to stores. Many of the medicines expire over time. In all the years I have been keeping fish I can count the number of times on one hand I have to treat anything other than Ich or something that Melafix wouldn't treat.

A couple of specific things I wound not get are:
  • API SUPER ICK CURE - Salt+heat is usually the best way to cure ich. Or even heat alone.
  • API STRESS COAT - Nothing wrong with it but if I could only have one dechlorinator around it would be Seachem Prime.

Zacro LCD Digital Aquarium Thermometer
These are sold under various brand names and I have literally had more than 20 of these over the years. They all start out great become inaccurate over time. Really, inaccurate. Some as much or 5-10 degrees. It happens really slowly so you don't always notice it. Super dangerous. I would recommend either an old school liquid thermometer. They can be hard to read but they work.

Aqueon 100W Pro Heater (I believe this will be strong enough for the tank)
Yes that should work. Depending on how cold the room where the tank will be gets you might even be able to get by with less. The heater is one area where if you can underbuy, you should. Heaters fail. They often fail on. You don't want a heater in your tank capable of boiling your fish.

Marineland Penguin Power Filter 200GPH (not sure if I should go larger? They largest amazon has is the one that does 350 GPH)
350GPH in a 20L would be kind of a lot for a planted tank. Well, if you want the plants to stay in the tank anyway. :D

That being said, those bio-wheels are all marketing. I recommend avoiding any filter with replaceable cartridges. I would strongly advise looking at the Aquaclear line of filters. They are inexpensive and allow you the flexibility to use whatever media you want.

Nice to see someone planning things out ahead of time. Good luck!

...remote area without access to stores...
We actually live within about 10 min. of any pet store I wanted LOL, but the thing with them is I can get these on Amazon for super cheap, but if I went to the pet store... I'd be paying them my arm to buy one lol. You have a good point though. Are there items that you would almost always keep on hand? Just the aquarium salt?

Oh yes, I forgot to put Prime on that list. I always use Prime as my dechlorinator, but I remember reading something about the stress coat one providing some extra benefits or something.

I would recommend either an old school liquid thermometer
Really? Interesting O-o I guess some old school things still are the best. I always thought digital would be the best way to go.

Depending on how cold the room where the tank will be gets you might even be able to get by with less. The heater is one area where if you can underbuy, you should.
Well, I live in Reno, NV sooo I doubt our house will ever get any colder than 75 in summer hahaa! In winter is maybe where it would get a little troublesome but if we heat our home I don't think there should be any issues. So would you recommend to just buy a 50w or so? I always put my heaters right next to the filter intake.

I would strongly advise looking at the Aquaclear line of filters. They are inexpensive and allow you the flexibility to use whatever media you want.
Looked it up, I think that's actually the filter I used in my previous tank hahaha! It looks VERY familiar. What are your thoughts on the Fluval C Power Filter? It looks like it has compartments for your own media as well. If the Aquaclear filter is the same one I used in the past, I do believe I remember having a few issues with it running correctly, and from the reviews on amazon, it seems to be a very common thing.

Thank you :D

We actually live within about 10 min. of any pet store I wanted LOL, but the thing with them is I can get these on Amazon for super cheap, but if I went to the pet store... I'd be paying them my arm to buy one lol. You have a good point though. Are there items that you would almost always keep on hand? Just the aquarium salt?
In addition the salt I keep melafix but you could probably get that locally too if you ever needed it.

Oh yes, I forgot to put Prime on that list. I always use Prime as my dechlorinator, but I remember reading something about the stress coat one providing some extra benefits or something.
There are a bunch of products that claim to promote or replace a fishes slime coat. Personally, I think, like most chemicals for aquarium use, that you don't need it.
Well, I live in Reno, NV sooo I doubt our house will ever get any colder than 75 in summer hahaa! In winter is maybe where it would get a little troublesome but if we heat our home I don't think there should be any issues. So would you recommend to just buy a 50w or so? I always put my heaters right next to the filter intake.
I would go 50w in that situation.

Looked it up, I think that's actually the filter I used in my previous tank hahaha! It looks VERY familiar. What are your thoughts on the Fluval C Power Filter? It looks like it has compartments for your own media as well.
I like them a lot. They are a little more expensive than the Aquaclears but I find them easier to clean due to the separate compartments. It also resolves the issues with bypass that can happen with the AC filters

They do seem to be disappearing from store shelves though. Not sure if they have been discontinued or if they are just not very popular.

Last edited:
I did remember reading a review on the Fluval about how they were being discontinued. I wonder why? If they're replacing them with a newer model? I'd hate to by a discontinued model in case I ever need to buy replacement parts but... then again most times when a filter breaks I think most people just go buy a new one haha

I actually have a C3 that I can't find the two intake tube parts for and the cost to get replacements was almost $30. Pretty much disposable at that point.

that's unfortunate, as they look like nice filters :(

I think i'll try the aquaclear first, it's the same filter I used previously and didn't have issues with it so maybe i'll luck out again. :p

Back
Top Bottom