Three aquariums and one is a cloud

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shacker66

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello

I have a ten gallon aquarium with a Bett a, three neon tetras, two Cory catfish two oto's and a few snails. My first tank everything is great and all looks great.

My second the twenty gallon centerpiece also a Bett a then five Cory catfish, six neon tetras, six RBs and a albino Brislenose. I know I probably over did it i clean it twice a week been a little frustrating so I have cleaned more often the last two weeks. Water tests great but it is cloudy. The only difference in this aquarium is the substrate the plants are growing in.

My third is a thirty gallon. Centerpiece two Flame Red Dwarf Gourami, one Powder blue one and a Rainbow one. Beautiful
The in 6 Cory catfish yes I love my catfish.
Also three black Mollies and two white.
This aquarium is the newest. IMG_1675.jpgView attachment 1View attachment 1 I added three pictures of each of my aquariums but I only see my thirty gallon

IMG_1675.jpg my ten gallon that's Archie laying on the bridge he is the one that started my love for aquariums all over again he has a story be hind him too what a character my buddy.

Buy a uv filter worked for me in a few days. I always have one running and have two in my 100gal

And i recognize that topfin filter in the ten
I suggest upgrading because you overstocked a bit and it could make the difference. I have a medium stocked 20 gal topfin starter kit and its done just fine.

View attachment 313722 the 20 gallon I am having trouble with
Hello, the water looks greenish in pic. If so that is algae bloom. This could hurt fish by using up oxygen in water.
There are a few reasons for bloom.
1- keeping lights on for to long or tank in direct sun.
2 - over feeding. To much nutrient in water, in substrate & in filter.
If tank planted(sorry didn't notice)use a timer set for no more than 8hrs no less than 4 & less if not planted(you'll figure what's needed).
Don't over feed. Your pets will beg & dance but resist giving snacks. You can find how much to feed by what they can consume in a few minutes(food floating in water after few min to much). I usually feed 2 x daily.
Gravel vac when doing wkly water changes of 25-30%.
You could also buy a UV sterilizer to clear it up(most use green killing machine). I read does great job.
For now do daily 25% water change & keep lights out till it clears up. Hope this helps you!!!!!

Thank you

Yes I do have plants not sure if that is the green you see. I am not over feeding. I feed once a day every other day since this has been happening.
The lights are on ten hours because of plants. My reading are 0 on everything my PH was a little high. Worked very slow on that .3 a day.

Can alagi bloom be present without it being on anything else? My other tanks have same readings and look great. Same water and same feeding the only difference is filterizied substrate. Everytime I clean it gets worse but if I need to do daily I will.

And i recognize that topfin filter in the ten
I suggest upgrading because you overstocked a bit and it could make the difference. I have a medium stocked 20 gal topfin starter kit and its done just fine.

I have a top fin filter for a twenty gallon the ten. Thank you

Hello, the water looks greenish in pic. If so that is algae bloom. This could hurt fish by using up oxygen in water.
There are a few reasons for bloom.
1- keeping lights on for to long or tank in direct sun.
2 - over feeding. To much nutrient in water, in substrate & in filter.
If tank planted(sorry didn't notice)use a timer set for no more than 8hrs no less than 4 & less if not planted(you'll figure what's needed).
Don't over feed. Your pets will beg & dance but resist giving snacks. You can find how much to feed by what they can consume in a few minutes(food floating in water after few min to much). I usually feed 2 x daily.
Gravel vac when doing wkly water changes of 25-30%.
You could also buy a UV sterilizer to clear it up(most use green killing machine). I read does great job.
For now do daily 25% water change & keep lights out till it clears up. Hope this helps you!!!!!

Boy it does look green in the picture

I changed most of the water it is very clear now the best i have seen it. I also dead headed some plants that had a little brown on them. I am hoping I didn't do to much harm added Prime and Pristine

I had put my 10 gallon power filter on it with the 20 to 40 gallon power filter I already had on it. Have I over done it?
I can't believe everyone is still there.
I am just chatting away now.
Thank you

Oh right now i can't afford the skimmer i have spent over my budget on what i have now.

If the light is intense enough it could be that it's on too long. Depth of the tank is also a factor.

I followed M.J.'s advice and today my tank looks great. I lost two fish though. At least I didn't lose them all. I know I will need to stay on top of it.
This problem started from day one.
I think it was the substrate and to much nutrients from the substrate then I added more without thinking. Like root tabs liquid co2
I have cut the lights down I really don't think that was the problem since it is on the same amount of time as the other two and on a timer.
Smart plugs are great. Can check on them when away from home. Eases the concerned mind.
Feeding them I am afraid I was striving them if anything.
BUT I love the expert advice.

Thank you all so much

Shacker66

One more question I like to enjoy them in the morning then in the evening would I be disrupting anything if I turned them off for a while so I can enjoy them longer at night[emoji780][emoji780][emoji780]

Yes. If you have at least a couple to 3 hour period of time lights off, after at least 4 hours of lights on that is ideal. At least one hour minimum off.

4-5 hours lights on
a couple to 3 hours off aka Siesta rest period
3-5 hours on

This is recommended if you are not using CO2 injection.

Gives you the time to watch the fish more for sure.

>>>>>

No bodies of fish?

Back
Top Bottom