Undergravel filter help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My uncle suggested a bristle nose pleco but I looked them up and found out that they need 30 gallons. Do all plecos need this much space?

My uncle suggested a bristle nose pleco but I looked them up and found out that they need 30 gallons. Do all plecos need this much space?

Yep...bn's are relatively small plecos. Others can get a few feet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't understand how he keeps his plecos then because I doubt he has that big of a tank ? But they're very cool, wish I had enough space for them.

Plecos are also nocturnal so you might not see them much. You could do otos though instead of the loaches, thay are like tiny, super active plecos.

That's why you gee t more tanks...but take it one step at a time

I don't think I'm going to get any more, I don't have much money after this last tank and I'm going to have to save up, not to mention that I'm going to college in a year and a half and am going to have to leave my parents with whatever fish I have left at that point! :)

I don't think I'm going to get any more, I don't have much money after this last tank and I'm going to have to save up, not to mention that I'm going to college in a year and a half and am going to have to leave my parents with whatever fish I have left at that point! :)

okay that makes sense. Also moving tanks isn't that hard so you might be able to take the tanks with you to college. all you need is a cooler for livestock, a bucket for water (its a lot easier to bring the water you already have instead of having to cycle the tank again), and a tote box for the tanks in case they spill

Oh cool! Maybe my parents/college will let me! :) I know my parents really don't want to take care of my tanks

okay that makes sense. Also moving tanks isn't that hard so you might be able to take the tanks with you to college. all you need is a cooler for livestock, a bucket for water (its a lot easier to bring the water you already have instead of having to cycle the tank again), and a tote box for the tanks in case they spill

Moving tanks is kind of a major pita and water carries no cycle. Your filter,substrate and hardscape hang onto it for you.. water helps if the parameters are different between locations though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Moving tanks is kind of a major pita and water carries no cycle. Your filter,substrate and hardscape hang onto it for you.. water helps if the parameters are different between locations though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's what I ment. The nitrates and everything are the same

Hi, after reading all this, I would just like to say that you have a year and a half before college rite? Then enjoy the 10 gal till then , if you can't get someone to take care of the fish while your gone...hmmm your uncle the guy that got you hooked on the first place should be considered. Now you can always sell the fish , keep or sell the tank?
Now with that said, finish college, get a good job and then buy all the fish and tanks if you still fancy the hobby. I hope this helps, most of us in the hobby have many tanks and specie's, this hobby grows on people and its potentials are endless.[emoji225]
Enjoy what you have for now and you will get there soon, and you've received some real good advise on cycling your tank too and plant types. Build the ten gal, add more plants and introduce your fish stock slowly as if you add too many fish at once it could be hard on your cycle and fish, water changes is a good control if a healthy environment , so do them regularly as your mantra.[emoji38]
Good luck with your hobby.

Clem.

Hi, after reading all this, I would just like to say that you have a year and a half before college rite? Then enjoy the 10 gal till then , if you can't get someone to take care of the fish while your gone...hmmm your uncle the guy that got you hooked on the first place should be considered. Now you can always sell the fish , keep or sell the tank?
Now with that said, finish college, get a good job and then buy all the fish and tanks if you still fancy the hobby. I hope this helps, most of us in the hobby have many tanks and specie's, this hobby grows on people and its potentials are endless.[emoji225]
Enjoy what you have for now and you will get there soon, and you've received some real good advise on cycling your tank too and plant types. Build the ten gal, add more plants and introduce your fish stock slowly as if you add too many fish at once it could be hard on your cycle and fish, water changes is a good control if a healthy environment , so do them regularly as your mantra.[emoji38]
Good luck with your hobby.

Clem.

Wow, well said. Very nice job and I'm being dead serious about saying that I'm not being sarcastic at all

Thank you, Clem! I would consider my uncle but he lives a good 10 hours away from me :( It could be possible though! But I do love keeping fish, it's always been very interesting to me, and I can see it getting out of hand ? But hopefully someday I can build some awesome tanks and learn a lot about the hobby :)

Thank you, Clem! I would consider my uncle but he lives a good 10 hours away from me :( It could be possible though! But I do love keeping fish, it's always been very interesting to me, and I can see it getting out of hand ? But hopefully someday I can build some awesome tanks and learn a lot about the hobby :)

Oh very easily. Ever since I went to St. John virgin Islands just before 7th grade (a little over 2 years ago) I've been hooked (pun not intended) and immediately went from a 40g awfully kept fw to a 55g "reef tank" that was super crappy. But now I know a lot more and will step back in the salty side someday. And you will...most likely. Once in the hobby you can never quite get out

If the hobby wasn't so expensive, I'm sure I would have started much earlier ? I'll need to work a little more often to be able to afford even my 10 gallon

If the hobby wasn't so expensive, I'm sure I would have started much earlier ? I'll need to work a little more often to be able to afford even my 10 gallon

True, I don't have to pay yet since I'll have a few more years at home, I'm only in 9th grade

Back
Top Bottom