Undergravel filter help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aqadvisor.com says that I can have 8 neon tetras and only have a stocking level of 71%. Is this true? I'm kind of leaning toward just getting as many neon tetras as I can. Unless someone knows of other fish I can keep with them?

It also says that I can have a ton of Glowlight Tetras as well. Would Glowlight and Neon Tetras work well together? Or would that be way over the bio load?

Tetras are a good choice, as I have many types in my tank. I love the way they school or shoal. My neons are a good size now as I bought them smaller and they're not too expensive there in a school of 5 rite now, I've got some rummy nose , harlequins, flame Tetras, and Serphea as well. They are small but grew out nicely so far, but the Serphea tetra's tend to be more aggressive and like to nip fins on the other fish and tend to get a little bigger in size than neons. My tank seems to be a bit busy rite now and my fish are maturing and some have started breeding, and I have some fry platties rite now , a couple of survivors that weren't eaten in a big community tank, I'm still a bit amazed that they did live.
Oh , and by the way fish breed and depends if you choose live bearer's, like platties, mollies, guppies, which are nice fish but given the rite environment they will multiply. I have a 10gal guppy tank only, and now I have guppy fry, but i have more tanks that I could separate them which I'm in the process if doing, fun fish though!!!
There's lots to choose from , keep it simple and slowly add in the fish.[emoji38]

Clem

Wow, that's a whole lot of fish ? That sounds really cool though. So what's the max amount of tetras I can have? And what's the minimum amount of each type of tetra? Also how do you prevent them from breeding too often?

Wow, that's a whole lot of fish ? That sounds really cool though. So what's the max amount of tetras I can have? And what's the minimum amount of each type of tetra? Also how do you prevent them from breeding too often?
In a community tank with other types of fish can reduce the need to breed, but not always the case, like all animals its a part of nature, so it happens and its a cool experience in fish keeping , it shows that the keeper is doing the rite thing for their fish and its normal when they are in the rite conditions. As for the question about how many tetras to put , I'm always a bit on the high side with that, I tend to stock a bit more , but my water and maintenance is a bit higher but my tank size helps. If you want tetras put a small school of 5-7 at first and see how they do, and you could add a couple of other Tetra types, as long as they are around the same size.
You can look at Rainbows, guppies males though to prevent breeding, just to name a few. There is so many that you can do, but its your tank and you can only live and learn from it. I'm gonna try to send some pics if I can .

Clem

Have you looked into green fire tetras? Cooler than Neon IMO and less demanding...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

In a community tank with other types of fish can reduce the need to breed, but not always the case, like all animals its a part of nature, so it happens and its a cool experience in fish keeping , it shows that the keeper is doing the rite thing for their fish and its normal when they are in the rite conditions. As for the question about how many tetras to put , I'm always a bit on the high side with that, I tend to stock a bit more , but my water and maintenance is a bit higher but my tank size helps. If you want tetras put a small school of 5-7 at first and see how they do, and you could add a couple of other Tetra types, as long as they are around the same size.
You can look at Rainbows, guppies males though to prevent breeding, just to name a few. There is so many that you can do, but its your tank and you can only live and learn from it. I'm gonna try to send some pics if I can .

Clem

Okay thank you so much! I will think about it and see what kind of fish I have in my area and I will definitely be back if I have questions ?

Okay thank you so much! I will think about it and see what kind of fish I have in my area and I will definitely be back if I have questions ?
Good hunting!!![emoji38] and your very much welcome . I wish my son had this interest as you guys , he's 15 now but I've noiticed he doesn't mind the fish, its the work that's involved![emoji6]

Clem

Good hunting!!![emoji38] and your very much welcome . I wish my son had this interest as you guys , he's 15 now but I've noiticed he doesn't mind the fish, its the work that's involved![emoji6]

Clem

I've noticed that the hobby either hits people like a train or they have very little care for it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I don't know anyone else my age that has ever owned fish, but I think it's a lot of fun ?

I've noticed that the hobby either hits people like a train or they have very little care for it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I don't know anyone else my age that has ever owned fish, but I think it's a lot of fun ?
That's funny you mentioned that, when I was about 9 or 10 I started with my first 10 gal, and I had read up on breeding bettas and it worked! I was hooked on fish even more when the first box store opened up , and I'm not going to say but many moons latter I'm still going to that same store , even though it moved down the street and got even bigger!!![emoji6]
Yes I agree not many young people that I knew were into fish, I always thought it was a lack of info back in my day, or we were just different than the other kids, but the lfs was full of em !!![emoji38]

Clem

I think what started me was when I was around that age my dad got a wii game called Endless Ocean - which is ridiculous because my dad doesn't play video games - which was passed down to me. In the game you get to discover all of the different types of fish and whales and sharks, and my brother and I were completely hooked and we played for hours and hours. Then I begged my parents to let me get my own fish ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But then I dropped it after the fish died because I was really young at that point and didn't like a lot of responsibilities ?

Well, your hooked like the rest of us. I don't think age matters at this point, your fish addiction will grow even if you took a break from the hobby like I did for many years, but during that time I must admit I kept a black goldfish alive for about 2-3 yrs, In a goldfish bowl , with an undergravel filter which I don't see anymore if those types, but it helped out in the bowl. I guess I had fish all along even though it was one!!![emoji38]

Clem

And I'm perfectly okay with it :) But wow! After getting two goldfish as a present and having to put them in my 3 gallon tank, I don't think I will ever go back to them, there was way too much poop for me to handle ?

And I'm perfectly okay with it :) But wow! After getting two goldfish as a present and having to put them in my 3 gallon tank, I don't think I will ever go back to them, there was way too much poop for me to handle ?
Yes they are poop machines and can raise ammonia levels quit fast, I think they are beautiful fish, but require good filtration and look better in ponds more natural to look at. I don't keep them anymore prefer South American fish, Angels and Discus , and many more cichlids and tetras, but I do like plecos who are poop machines but they all have different personalities too.[emoji38]

Clem

I think it would be really awesome to have one goldfish in a huge tank to see how big it would grow but I'm not made of money and I would prefer to have many fish in a tank so who knows if that will ever happen :)

Back
Top Bottom