Used Wrong Bucket to Fill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aclark

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I filled my 20gallon up last night using a Python. I proceeded to hook up the filter to start the cycle. I decided I wanted to top off the tank to stop some of the noise from the discharge so I grabbed a bucket and dumped some water in. After the fact I thought about what I did, and that I had used the bucket my wife uses for cleaning. I'm sure there were some chemicals left in there and now it has me worried. I am running my Marineland 350 Mag filter with Fluval ceramic media and a bag of activated carbon, along with the filter "foam" around the basket in the tank right now. Should I be ok with the bag of carbon taking out most the trace chemicals? Tank looks nice and clear, and the filter has done a good job of taking out the left over dust from the sand.

*Note, I'm only using the 350 on this tank to jump start some bacteria growth, then it will move over to my 75 gallon that the silicone is currently drying on. The 350 is way too powerful for a 20 gallon and is creating quite a current in the tank. The 20 gallon will end up with a sponge filter and be a secondary or QT tank.

Id say dose the tank with prime, it's pretty useful for taking out a lot of chemicals

Sent via echolocation

If the chemicals were at a dangerous level you would see fish dying within the hour. Do a big water change, and if the carbon has been used for 2 weeks or so replace it with a new bag as it exhausts very quickly.

If the chemicals were at a dangerous level you would see fish dying within the hour. Do a big water change, and if the carbon has been used for 2 weeks or so replace it with a new bag as it exhausts very quickly.

Mmhmmmm!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No fish in the tank, just set it up. I'll try some prime after a water change to be safe. Anything in the bucket would have just be residue, as it was rinsed & put away after she cleaned last.

Is the Top Fin Water Conditioner the same as Prime? I got a couple bottles from the guy I bought the tank from.

Not that it matters now, but for future reference...is it safe to use in a tank that's cycling w/o killing the bacteria? Is is safe to use with dechloranator, or should you just use one or the other?

I believe the Top Fin water conditioner is a dechlorinator. Most of us use Prime instead. It's the best of the best. I buy it by the gallon on Amazon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Top fin isnt the same, but it works just fine as a dechlorinator. They are both fish safe.

Since theres no fish just do a 100% water change along with the carbon.

Back
Top Bottom