veggies to feed plecostomus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I put cucumber in my tank and it looked like it didn't even get touched and i was watching my fish nibble at it. Should i boil it?

Someone said to boil it. Then test it with your finger nail. It should be able to go into it easily but not be like mush. You boil til it starts to change color. Which can be quick

Yes I actually just blanch it in a coffee cup in the microwave for a couple minutes. If the coffee cup has ever been washed with soap make sure you rinse it out really well first. It's done when it's bright green and can be peirced easily but still holds it's shape and it's firm enough to be held by a veggie clip.

And, Somethingclever, your sig made me acutally lol. I haz an animal problem as well ;)

I put a little water and cucumber or peas in a bowl for about a min and then the cucumber I slide under the driftwood. That keeps it down. They did not eat it much the first time, but I do it about once a week and they eat more each time.

Yes I actually just blanch it in a coffee cup in the microwave for a couple minutes. If the coffee cup has ever been washed with soap make sure you rinse it out really well first. It's done when it's bright green and can be peirced easily but still holds it's shape and it's firm enough to be held by a veggie clip.

And, Somethingclever, your sig made me acutally lol. I haz an animal problem as well ;)

yay i'm not alone lol.

My two go mad for raw cucumber and they also love blanched broccoli. I have fed them peas a few times but my Gouramis tend to scoff them all ip before the poor plecs even get a look in.

I alternate what I feed them so probably about twice a month at the most.

I put quite small florets in (1 for each of my plecs). I put all of the floret in, but they don't generally eat the stalk part, I usually have to fish it out with a net.

It's great because it sinks on it's own too, after it's been sat in hot water for a few minutes. I obviously let it cool before putting it in the tank though. :)

Whhat? You don't feed them like every day or every other day when there's no algae ?

Of course I do. I was meaning specifically the broccoli lol. There is always plenty of algae for them to eat anyway, they are still young and I have a huge 5ft tank for them to be going at, but I still feed them at least a few times per week anyway.

I alternate algae wafers, sinking pellets, cucumber, broccoli and they also usually get some of the live brine shrimp I put in once per week as a treat for all of my fishies.

its generally not necessary to feed your fish every day. Over feeding can lead to quite a few problems in a tank. I don't feed my BN, as he get gets enough from algae and left over food particles from my other fish.

its generally not necessary to feed your fish every day. Over feeding can lead to quite a few problems in a tank. I don't feed my BN, as he get gets enough from algae and left over food particles from my other fish.
Feeding a reasonable amount daily is fine though. I always kind of feel like it's the least I can do for them.

Back
Top Bottom